Test day, February 8th
Testing results for GNOME 3.20. Test conducted on 8 February, using latest GNOME Continuous image from 5 February, run in Boxes.
Initial setup - language selection
Window is maximised, and window content looks very small within it. List should be much bigger and have more padding around it for this size window. Is the window size due to being in a VM? (Screenshot.) - FIXED
- List only includes 6 languages. Doesn't seem many, nor do they seem to be what I'd call the most popular languages globally. - FIXED
Initial setup - typing
- Full list of input methods is also terrible - includes every keyboard layout imaginable. Too many options, really hard to navigate.
Initial setup - privacy
Initial setup - time zone
Initial setup - online accounts
Initial setup - about you
- Old profile picture chooser doesn't look great - old fashioned style, small thumbnails.
Initial setup - ready to go
Yelp opens up with a missing page instead of getting started (screenshot).
- System status - network entry reads "Wired Connected". Doesn't seem quite like English?
- Button in path bar is cut off.
Software is essentially broken in continuous, due to it not having a functional packagekit.
Oddly depopulated. (Screenshot.)
Installed view is also empty. (Screenshot.)
- When I click on weather, I see a spinner in the middle of the window which doesn't spin (things seem to be running pretty slowly). After quite a long delay, the window populates. I actually thought it was broken because it took so long.
- The launch button doesn't seem to have any effect.
Is blank (shows no events, none of my online calendars), despite my having added my Google account - seemed that the credentials had expired in the short time since I added the account during initial setup. Checking the calendar settings, it says that the account is "On", and doesn't indicate that there's a problem with it. If there aren't any accounts set up on first run, should prompt to set up an online account.
- Also seems to have failed to have picked up my Google account. When I go to the online accounts settings, it says that my credentials have expired though - maybe explains it. How did that happen though? (Also, seems that Calendar isn't detecting the state of the account properly.) I add the Google account again (shows squashed GNOME logo in the sign in page; again unnecessary padding around the web view). Settings now show the online account working. However, Contacts hasn't picked up the Google account - it just shows the local address book.
Some of these issues are probably a result of having a non-functional packagekit in continuous.
- Channels section only includes one channel. Quite disappointing. How do I add more?
I click through the Rei.tv channel to find a video, get to one, select it: the busy indicator in the top bar spins forever and nothing happens. The video doesn't play and the thumbnail grid stays in place.
- The second time I try to play a video from Rei.tv, a dialog pops up - "Unable to play the file. H.264 (High Profile) decoder, MPEG-4 AAC decoder are required to play the file, but are not installed." (English could be better there.) I press the "Find in Software" button: the dialog disappears, but nothing seems to happen. Nothing else pops up, and I'm left staring at a blank videos app.
- I try to play another video (this is the third attempt), in the hope that the dialog will reappear and will work this time. This time, the busy spinner appears for a while, then the window goes blank like it is going to play the file. After quite a long pause with no spinner and a blank window, a dialog pops up: "An error occurred. The movie could not be read."
- Initially shows an empty screen (with a symbolic icon). After 4/5 seconds this disappears, an in app notification pops up saying that it's fetching documents from Google, and icons appear. Comments about this:
- It was a bit unsettling to have the empty state, and then have it replaced seemingly by magic. Would have been better to have known about the google account from the start, and shown a spinner.
- The thumbnails appeared in a jerky and uneven manner. It didn't feel smooth or nice.
- Wrong sized icons in the grid (see screenshot above).
Clicked on collections. The app seems to have become very slow. The in-app notification is telling me that it is still fetching documents. The view toggle seems stuck. Eventually a "Documents" is not responding dialog pops up. This doesn't look great (screenshot), and the labels aren't properly aligned in the buttons (screenshot). The dialog is missing a heading, it has action buttons and a close button in the title bar.
- I force quit the app and relaunch. The icons in the grid are now all the same size, and it seems to have stopped trying to fetch documents from my online account.
Collections view is oddly blank - only shows one collection, and the icon doesn't include any thumbnails (probably because it is empty) (screenshot). When I click on it, it says "No collections found", which is odd considering that I just clicked on a collection (screenshot). Not showing empty collections would solve most of these issues.
Missing application icon in activities overview and top bar - FIXED
- Empty state on first run. Grey and bland - needs an initial state.
- Initial state doesn't say how to add books.
Won't launch. - FIXED
Universal access panel is blank. - FIXED
Region and language - language and formats dialogs are very short language (language screenshot, formats screenshot). (Only affects GNOME continuous.)
Mouse and touchpad - some labels obviously misaligned. Bottom of touchpad list is missing a border. (Screenshot.) - FIXED
- Connection headings don't have a disclosure triangle (to indicate that there are options available).
- Connection properties:
- Apply button is sensitive when no changes have been made - should probably be insensitive until a change has been made.
Text entries are a bit narrow, making the dialog feel constrained (screenshot). Would be nice to be a bit wider.
There seems to be some mismatched labels. Says "Edit Connection" as if performing an action, but the option that gets you to the dialog says "Properties". Then the button says "Apply". Could be better to use "Connection Properties" as the heading and "Done" as the button label? - FIXED
(Issues without bug reports have been communicated to the developers by email.)
- Blank state is very blank. Needs work!
- Note text doesn't look right - seems like headings don't have the right font, possibly? They certainly don't have the correct padding above them.
- Text selections don't look right - selected text turns white, rather than the standard blue background.
A key component is missing in Continuous and the way it's presented is poor (bug 761752)
Missing symbolic icon (bug 761771) - FIXED
- Trying to view a PDF seems to crash the session.
- Comes up empty
Five or More
Old style scalable app icon - FIXED
Four in a Row
Old style scalable app icon - FIXED
More Games Needing Highres Icons
- Robots, Hitori, Sudoku, Taquin, Tetravex, Tali, Quadrapassel, Klotski, Mahjongg, Lights Off, Nibbles.