Draft Agenda for the GTK+ 2017 Hackfest
High level topics
- Use only for input?
- review API design for Wayland
- OpenGL drivers/backend
OpenGL core profile (>4.0?)
- OpenGL legacy support
- OpenGL ES (2.0, 3.x) for embedded platforms
- Shader API for GTK/applications
- solidify use cases
replacement for GdkPixbuf
- gsk_texture_new_from_gl (context, texture_id)
- Improving performance
- Memory allocation
- Improving data structures
- Make it fast
- Should we add a mid-level scene graph for applications that want to replace Clutter?
- Not all apps want to use widgets
- No styling, no direct input handling
- e.g. games, full screen UIs
- Input transformations on GTK widgets
- More apps are taking the Builder animation API
Heavily modelled on ClutterAnimation
- Cost of value/property marshalling
- Potential hot path for performance
- Responsive layout - can we make this easier ? Does Emeus help for this ?
- What about Emeus - is there a future where it becomes part of GTK+, or do we keep this separate ?
What's the preferred (most efficient) API to keep images in memory? GskTexture? Do application developers (have to) care whether it's in VRAM or not?
- menus vs popups vs tooltips vs toplevels
Rework current GtkWindow class hierarchy
GtkDrawingArea => GL/Cairo/Vulkan
- spell checking
- multiple views per buffer abstraction
- secure app identification
- Meson support for GTK4
- DX questionnaire