Date: November 30 Tuesday
Time: 1400 - 15:40 UTC (~1.5 hours) Channel: #asia-summit at GIMPnet server
1) proposal review from potential hosts (HK & Indonesia)* 2) Q&A 3) Opportunities to improve localization on the GNOME desktop 4) Opportunities to start a local GNOME user group 5) what the local country needs from GNOME (and the GNOME Foundation) in order to attract more GNOME contributors and users locally
- Fred Muller
- Brian Cameron
1. Round table self-introduction
- Pockey Lam, from China, committee member since 2008, first year of GNOME.Asia - Arif, from indonesia, first timer in gnome.asia - Emily Chen, work in Oracle China Solaris desktop team, GNOME.Asia founder, now work in the GNOME foundation board - kschan, hongkong, fresh graduate, not much experience with GNOME but some hands-on pygtk with sugar on XO-laptop - utian, indonesia, blankon linux community member - Bharath Acharya, developer for Evolution and work for Novell out of their Bangalore office - sakana, from Taiwan, An Instructor who teach linux - Fred, committee member since 2008, based in Beijing until recently (april) and active member of the Beijing LUG. Been at the 3 GNOME.Asia summits, use GNOME but not a developer per se. Also involved with SFI/SFD since 2008 its board. - Haggen, Vice-President of Opensource Application Knowledge Association, using GNOME right now in Ubuntu - Amanda Lam, technical writer, developer of various Maemo apps, member of Hong Kong MeeGo Network - Henry, from hong kong. a foss user. also a olpc volunteer
Proposal review from potential hosts (HK & Indonesia) and Q&A
- HK: 40K(travel)+20K including a 10% misc. - IND: 5K(Travel)+48K no misc , IND proposal has a lot more details (and cost) on hardware equipement such as routers, ink cartridges etc - Suggest to plan more travel subsidy for IND team. - Suggest to have Maxmum and Minimum budget plan - Both HK and IND team will work on two budget: Maxmum and Minimum budget. The due date is Dec 5, 2010. - India has requested a extension due to the recent Novell acquisition. Abharath will send proposal from Indian team. The due date is Dec 5, 2010.
3. Opportunities to improve localization on the GNOME desktop Feedback from the local team: - Chinese fonts is a big weakness of the free desktop world (not only GNOME) - Haggen did some work on Traditional Chinese fonts - We are gathering feedbacks and please put your feedbacks at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeAsia/UserExperience - Haggen will follow up regarding the fonts - we are working on a user survey / questionnaires. We target to finish the survey questions in December - http://live.gnome.org/GnomeAsia/UserSurvey2010
4. Opportunities to start a local GNOME user group - Invite Amanda and utian to join mail list : http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-asia-list - Discuss about the profile of a GNOME User Group member in Beijing - Haggen mentioned the potential if the profile of GNOME is higher in Hong Kong - event like GNOME.Asia will really help to start a local GNOME User group - Some GNOME template for reference when create new slides : http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/MarketingMaterial/Presentations - GNOME Ambassadors program: http://live.gnome.org/Ambassadors
5. What the local country needs from GNOME (and the GNOME Foundation) in order to attract more GNOME contributors and users locally - need to do more marketing locally, for example localize marketing materials - GNOME Store is a good idea - GNOME trainning is needed and request by local community - GNOME workshop is good - identify someone to take on the lead first , and follow up - Discuss is cross-platform development a possible selling point
AI: - HK and IND team - work on the second version, two budgets: Maxmum and Minimum budget. The due date is Dec 5, 2010. - abharath - Send proposal from Indian team. The due date is Dec 5, 2010.
IRC log can be access from here: http://pastebin.com/ggrZxGSP