[ This review was done on version 19.4 as part of deja-dup being added to Ubuntu ]
It may be a good idea to offer backup setup in the installer eventually. But I do not think it would be helpful to offer setup for Déjà Dup in its current state in the installer. It is not easy enough to use. -mpt
- Buttons on intro screen are too long and miscapitalized (should use Header Case)
- Can never return to intro screen after clicking "show my backup settings"
- Is the intro screen necessary at all?
Settings category list (Overview/Storage/Files/Schedule) is missing its frame
- only four settings categories, so probably they should be tabs instead
- There aren't (and shouldn't be) enough settings for an overview to be necessary
Labels are left-aligned -- should be right-aligned [DONE]
"Where:" is non-obvious -- is that the source or the destination? [renamed to 'Backup location:']
"Include files from: Home" is unclear about whether it includes files from anywhere else [Renamed to 'Folders to back up:']
Doesn't mention whether/when the last backup happened [Always made those labels visible, even if no last backup]
Shouldn't suggest that "Backup location: Audio Disc" is possible
various "Server:", "Port:", "Folder:", "Username:" etc colons aren't lined up
- "Local Folder" has an icon suggesting that it's an actual folder, when it isn't
"Folder:" and "Keep backup:" label colons don't line up with "Backup location:"
"Browse…" should be "Choose Folder…"
- "Old backups will be kept..." text is in italics -- never use italics in chrome
- "Old backups will be kept..." text jumps around between the first two tabs
"Include / files in / folders:" and "Except files / in folders" are too many line breaks. Put the fields below the labels instead.
"Add" should be "Add…" [Actually is now just a symbolic icon ala latest suggestion from HIG ]
Include/Except fields are missing their frames (so they go completely invisible when empty)
- It shouldn't be possible to have automated backups of nothing
- It shouldn't be possible to exclude everything that's included (or a superset of what's included)
Shouldn't need a screen containing only one control. Merge with one of the others. [Moved "keep backups" to this page]
- Asks me to "Restore from Where". Why doesn't it know?
- How can I tell which backup to restore? Where do I browse the versions of the file I'm restoring?
- Doesn't explain how the restored backup files will interact with my current files.