Foundation Board Minutes for Tue, October 25th 2016, 17:00 UTC

Next meeting date November 1st 2016, 17:00 UTC



  • Meg Ford
  • Cosimo Cecchi
  • Nuritzi Sanchez
  • Shaun McCance

  • Allan Day
  • Rosanna Yuen


  • Jim Hall
  • Alexandre Franke


Agenda for 2016-10-25

  • Travel committee budget allocation of $20,000
  • Hackfests must be approved by Board, update on Core Apps hackfest
  • Review ongoing items!


  • Travel committee budget allocation of $20,000
    • See

    • We are late for renewing the travel committee budget - this should have been done by Oct 1st
    • VOTE: allocate the same $20k budget to the travel committee until 04/01/2017
      • +1 Cosimo, Meg, Shaun, Nuritzi. VOTE PASSED
    • ACTION: Cosimo will communicate our decision to the travel committee and ask a report for the past semester
  • Hackfests must be approved by Board, update on Core Apps hackfest
    • Food/snacks are already covered, so they don't need that sponsorship
    • It looks like hackfests do need to be approved by the Board after all -- we did approve it during last call however
    • Nothing else the Board should be involved with at the moment


This section includes items which have seen an update in the last 30 days. Format is "YYYY-MM-DD, action|discussion|abstract" for this and subsequent minutes sections

  • Flatpak store
    • 2016-08-30
      • There's an idea of a central store where people can upload Flatpak apps, and users would get it from the store, rather than getting it from the distribution
      • The Board voted to get behind this project officially, and give Allan permission to reach out to other organizations on our behalf
    • 2016-09-06 - Allan has had some initial conversations with the Flatpak team. Next step is to check in with the sysadmin team (still not done).
    • 2016-09-13 - Allan has checked in with the sysadmins and they think there's capacity to get started. Next step is to reach out to partners.
  • ED search update
    • 2016-08-10, The search is still ongoing
  • Google Play account
    • 2016-09-27
    • 2016-10-04
      • Payment is authorized
      • ACTION: Rosanna to make the payment and follow up with Ankit
    • 2016-10-18
      • Rosanna is waiting for Ankit to reply about the gmail account
  • Privacy campaign funds
    • 2016-09-27
      • Draft is out for the Board to review and give feedback
      • ACTION: Cosimo to try and form a committee to review internship proposals
    • 2016-10-26
      • We are aiming for an internship round in spring 2017
  • Bitcoins donations data
    • 2016-08-10
      • Board voted to shut down the account, since we can't report those as donations. Bitcoin does not allow to trace the sender, which is required to report the donations to the IRS
      • ACTION: Rosanna to shut down the account
      • ACTION: Allan to remove the option from our website

Ongoing but stalled

This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days.

  • Owncloud shared calendar for the board
  • Conference sponsorships
    • 2016-08-10
      • ACTION: Kat to make sure that a sponsorship brochure with all conference, levels, combinations and perks is available for the Board to review
    • 2016-09-06
      • ACTION: Nuritzi to get in touch with Kat about this
  • Money raised for defense against Groupon
    • Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be sponsored with money raised for defence against Groupon
    • 2016-09-06
      • We probably don't want to track exactly this money flow, but the initiatives that the Board has been pursuing (Flatpak, LAS GNOME) are good fits for the original intent this money was kept for
      • We can consider making a PR or some other form of announcement about how we're currently making use of this money
  • Paypal Giving Fund
    • Alexandre suggested in december 2015 to get us enrolled in the program
      • That would give us exposure. For example Humble bundle allows to direct the charity part of purchases towards any of their participants
    • Zana tried to get us in sometime before may 2016, we never heard back.
    • 2016-09-06
      • ACTION: Zana to look into it.
  • From the mailing list - "support my volunteer program" (Allan)
    • 2016-08-30
      • There's very little information in the message, unclear how they're related to GNOME
      • ACTION: Shaun to reply asking for more information
  • Google ad grant
    • 2016-08-10
      • ACTION: Shaun will pick this up again and try to register us into the program when he's back in the US
      • The actual ad campaigns would probably need to be managed by the Engagement/Marketing team
      • ACTION: Nuritzi to discuss with the Engagement Team and let the board know if they want to start using Google ad
  • Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks
    • 2016-08-10, ACTION: Nuritzi to take on this project and figure out what it entails
  • Web page for prior pants winners
    • 2016-08-10, ACTION: Shaun and Allan to add the web page
  • Status of logo copyright
    • 2015-12-01, ACTION: Shaun to send out email to d-d-l with proposal
    • 2015-12-08 to 2016-01-19, No updates.
    • 2016-02-02, Shaun will try to pick it up this week
    • 2016-08-10, ACTION: Shaun will send a proposal to licence the asset with dual LGPLv3/CC-BY-SA-4.0 (similar to adwaita-icon-theme)
  • Friends of GNOME
    • 2016-04-11, ACTION: Alexandre to request more information about the donation data from the European donations system (Wau Holland Stiftung Foundation)
    • 2016-08-10
      • ACTION: Allan to get in touch with Tobi and the sysadmin team to migrate the FoG infrastructure over to GNOME

Ongoing but no director assigned

This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days and have no Director assigned

Nice to have

This section includes items which we would love to see happen at some point but lack the time to effectively become reality

  • Contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
    • Kat to draft this
  • Privacy policy for GNOME services
    • Current draft is at

    • Sysadmin Team's NDA should also be covered when dealing with this item
    • Kat or Allan to write up the policy
    • Kat or Allan to write up recommended wording for distribution privacy policies, regarding the behaviour of GNOME software
  • Photography policy for GNOME conferences
    • Proposal needs to be drafted and sent to foundation list for discussion
    • Should probably be addressed at the same time as a standardised code of conduct

Discussed on the mailing list

Completed actions

  • Carlos' mail about Core Apps hackfest
    • Carlos is asking the Board to support the Core Apps hackfest:

    • 2016-10-18
      • There's no need to approve this as an official event, but we need a budget assigned to the travel committee since we're in a new fiscal year
        • ACTION: Cosimo to talk to the travel committee about budget
      • There's a sponsorship request for snacks
        • Ideally this would come out of the Engagement team budget
        • ACTION: Nuritzi to get more information about planned attendance from Carlos, and suggest that the organizers ask for funding to companies/employers of the attendees first
    • 2016-10-25
      • Travel Committee budget has been approved for the new semester and communicated
      • No other action from the Board for these items should be necessary
  • GIMP payment - GIMP Reimbursements for Texas Linux Fest 2016
    • 2016-10-11
      • We need to check the receipts and put the payment request on the wiki for Rosanna if it looks good
      • ACTION: Nuritzi to put the payment details on the wiki
    • 2016-10-25
      • Payment is sent, this is complete
  • LAS GNOME report
    • 2016-10-11
      • The Board wants to take an action to reach out to the organizers and send out some questions around the timing of the conference and a post-mortem
      • ACTION: Allan to reach out to Sri
    • 2016-10-19: Allan has mailed Sri (board-list is cc'd)
    • 2016-10-25
      • No other action required from the Board for the time being

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20161025 (last edited 2016-11-01 21:46:19 by CosimoCecchi)