GUADEC 2020 Newcomers Workshop
GUADEC is exceptionally a virtual conference this year. For this reason, our Newcomers workshop will be a video call, just like the rest of the conference.
The Newcomers workshop is an opportunity for aspiring GNOME contributors to have a helping hand from GNOME developers while attempting to make their first code contribution to one of the GNOME projects. We basically go through each step described in the Newcomers guide and make sure everybody is able to progress in it.
Please, go to our conference slot and make sure you are registered for the event. It will take place during the GUADEC workshop/BoF days, on Monday 27 Jul 2020, 15:00.
For this year's Newcomers workshop, you will need:
1. Have a relatively up-to-date GNU/Linux distribution such as Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, etc...
2. Install GNOME Builder
- Setup the Flathub Flatpak repository
Find the instructions for your distro at https://flatpak.org/setup/
- Install GNOME Builder from Flathub
flatpak install flathub org.gnome.Builder
3. Download the Flatpak runtimes/SDKs
- Setup the GNOME Nightly repository
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists gnome-nightly https://nightly.gnome.org/gnome-nightly.flatpakrepo
- Install the "master" runtime version
flatpak install gnome-nightly org.gnome.Platform//master
- Install the "master" SDK version
flatpak install gnome-nightly org.gnome.Sdk//master
You can watch a recorded version of the Newcomers workshop at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUc9O7t6d0Y