Foundation Board Minutes for Tuesday, May 15th 2018, 18:00 UTC

Next meeting date Tuesday, May 22nd 2018, 18:00 UTC





  • Events code of conduct (Allan)
  • Pre-travel sponsorship for GSoC/Outreachy students (Carlos)



  • Events code of conduct (Allan)
    • We've had the events code of conduct proposal on the table for some time now. Board members have had chance to review it. Only Alexandre has raised concerns. These include:
      • GDPR - Neil doesn't think this affects the events code of conduct (in a blocking way) and thinks that any issues can be dealt with at a later date
      • Release parties: do we have guidelines for what release parties should follow?
      • Concern about prohibiting speech based on it being "offensive", since this could be subjective.
      • Question about prohibiting weapons: does this include pepper spray, multi-tools
      • Two potential amendments have been discussed with Alexandre:
        • 1. Add a sentence to the photography policy: “If press photographers are present, the event organizer will ask them to comply with this policy.”
        • 2. Remove the section of the incident reporting page that encourages reporting incidents that you might have observed ("if you see someone violating the Code of Conduct")
          • Nuritzi - observing incidents can make people feel uncomfortable/unwelcome. Neil - if you observe a crime, you report it.
    • VOTE: accept the events code of conduct that has been presented ( ) as official GNOME Foundation policy, for all future events

      • Passed unanimously
    • VOTE: 1st amendment
      • Passed unanimously
      • Didier joined at this point.
    • VOTE: 2nd amendment
      • -1 unanimous, (Carlos cites concerns that have been expressed to him by community members)

Meg leaves.

  • Pre-travel sponsorship for GSoC/Outreachy students. (Carlos)
    • GUADEC is earlier than usual this year, so Outreachy/GSoc interns won't have recieved enough payments to fund their own travel. We've had a request for one intern to have their travel sponsorship paid in advance of GUADEC. This currently isn't something that the Travel Committee provides.
    • Discussion about how much travel funding we've provided interns in the past, and how much we should provide:
      • GSoC didn't provide much for travel last year, but we do encourage all interns to attend GUADEC.
      • Has the amount we pay for intern travel been capped previously?
    • Discussion about logistics. There are potentially two forms of advance payment:
      1. Interns pay for their ticket and we reimburse them prior to travel. The board is happy for the Travel Committee to do this.
      2. We provide the funds prior to travel being booked. Here we can recommend that interns contact the board so it can review requests.
    • ACTION: Didier to liase with the Travel Committee. Carlos to liase with mentors.

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20180515 (last edited 2018-09-18 11:33:43 by AllanDay)