Foundation Board Minutes for Tue, September 5th 2017, 17:00 UTC

Next meeting date Tue, September 12th 2017, 17:00 UTC


Call URL:


  • Alexandre Franke
  • Carlos Soriano
  • Zeeshan Ali
  • Nuritzi Sanchez
  • Meg Ford
  • Rosanna Yuen
  • Neil McGovern

  • Allan Day
  • Cosimo Cecchi



Agenda for 2017-09-05

  • Foundation hackfest - has everyone submitted their travel requests?
  • Review ongoing items


  • Foundation hackfest - has everyone submitted their travel requests?
    • Not yet


This section includes items which have seen an update in the last 30 days. Format is "YYYY-MM-DD, action|discussion|abstract" for this and subsequent minutes sections

  • Mexico workshop
    • 2017-08-29
      • Was supposed to start yesterday, has been delayed.
  • GUADEC 2017 accounts
    • ACTION: Allan talk to GUADEC organizers to get a report
  • Budget for release parties
    • VOTE: grant $500 to the engagement team for the 3.26 release parties, to be administered by Nuritzi
      • +1 unanimous
    • ACTION: Nuritzi to write a report about the usage of previously allocated funds
    • ACTION: Nuritzi to advertise the budget to the relevant channels (we suggest foundation-list, the engagement blog, and social media)
  • Foundation hackfest
    • 2017-08-15
      • Berlin on Oct 5th-8th seems the most likely to work for the most of us.
      • ACTION: Cosimo to send a follow up on the list
    • 2017-08-22
      • Accommodation needs to be decided
      • Dates confirmed: Friday 6th through Sunday 8th.
      • VOTE: send Neil and Rosanna to the hackfest
        • +1: Cosimo, Nuritzi, Allan, Alexandre. Abstained: Zeeshan. VOTE PASSED.
      • ACTION: Nuritzi to create a private agenda for the Board Hackfest
    • 2017-08-29
      • Travel assistance requests for Foundation Hackfest
        • Only 3 directors have made their requests so far
        • Needs to be done ASAP
  • Engagement team committee for funds
    • The committee would allocate small budgets for events like release parties
    • Board to vote on this once we have a list of volunteers and a description of the committee's role
  • GNOME.Asia logo / "A simple explanation of GNOME.Asia 2017's logo to FoundationBoard" email

    • The design is not optimal, could use some tweaking but it’s alright.
    • ACTION: Allan to write recommendations for next year
      • 2017-07-11 - Allan still not done this. Sad face.
  • GUADEC 2017 finance request
    • The board wishes to make this a more straightforward process in the future
      • ACTION: Neil to make sure that expenses allocation for future conferences is discussed by the board in person at GUADEC
  • Foundation support for Flathub
    • 2017-05-09
      • The Board voted to try and use some of our pro-bono counsel time towards the Flathub legal framework, provided our lawyers agree
      • ACTION: Neil to connect to Luis
    • 2017-05-16 - Exact questions to ask Luis are being worked up
    • 2017-06-06 - Questions sent to Luis, being looked at.
    • 2017-09-05 - Being passed to Karen now, discussions have stalled a little, Neil chasing up
  • Hackfest process documentation
    • 2017-02-14
      • ACTION: Nuritzi to take a stab at updating the documentation for the process to request a hackfest and responsibilities between Board and TC
    • 2017-05-02
      • Nuritzi will work on this by end of May, check in then
  • 2017-09-05: Nuritzi updated the wiki about a week ago but we should go over this in Berlin.
  • Owncloud shared calendar for the board
    • 2016-08-10
      • Cosimo tested creating an event, but with mixed results
      • ACTION: Cosimo to take it on from here
    • 2016-09-06 - Allan has started a list of reoccuring events on the wiki -

    • 2017-03-07
      • Neil is looking into a similar calendar so will take over
    • 2017-07-26
      • (Neil) can someone else have this? Alexandre volunteers. #challengeaccepted
    • 2017-08-19
      • Alexandre tested the shared calendar that Allan set up a while back on nextcloud, seems to work well
      • We are entering beta phase with some directors opting in

Ongoing but stalled

This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days.

  • Dropping dates in copyright claims on our websites
    • 2016-12-06
      • ACTION: Alexandre to send an email to foundation-list with a proposal for discussion
    • 2016-12-20
      • Next step seems to be to reach out to Creative Commons to get advice on what exactly can and should be done
    • 2017-01-24
      • Alexandre reached out to Creative commons
    • 2017-02-28
      • Alexandre will try alternative channels
    • 2017-05-02
      • We got a reply, Alexandre to follow up
    • 2017-05-30
      • Two options
        • Have terms of use on the website that state that linking to a page is sufficient attribution
        • Require contributors to assign their attribution to the GNOME Foundation
  • Privacy campaign funds
    • 2016-09-27
      • Draft is out for the Board to review and give feedback
      • ACTION: Cosimo to try and form a committee to review internship proposals
    • 2016-10-26
      • We are aiming for an internship round in spring 2017
    • 2017-07-26
      • Carlos and Zeeshan are taking this over -- the plan is still to do internships
  • Friends of GNOME
    • 2016-08-10
      • ACTION: Allan to get in touch with Tobi and the sysadmin team to migrate the FoG infrastructure over to GNOME
    • 2017-03-07
      • Allan will pass this on to Neil, and connect him to Tobi
    • 2017-04-18 - Neil has CRM working (ish) on the gnome website, we're looking at how to move the PayPal IPN to CiviCRM

      • At sysadmin meeting at GUADEC
  • Paypal Giving Fund
    • Alexandre suggested in december 2015 to get us enrolled in the program
      • That would give us exposure. For example Humble bundle allows to direct the charity part of purchases towards any of their participants
    • Zana tried to get us in sometime before may 2016, we never heard back.
    • 2016-09-06
      • ACTION: Zana to look into it

Ongoing but no director assigned

This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days and have no Director assigned

Nice to have

This section includes items which we would love to see happen at some point but lack the time to effectively become reality

  • Contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
    • Kat to draft this
    • Alexandre took over
    • 2017-07-26
      • This is close to being done
  • Privacy policy for GNOME services
    • Current draft is at

    • Sysadmin Team's NDA should also be covered when dealing with this item
    • Kat or Allan to write up the policy
    • Kat or Allan to write up recommended wording for distribution privacy policies, regarding the behaviour of GNOME software
    • 2017-07-26
      • Allan is still working on this, but with low priority

Discussed on the mailing list

Completed actions

  • Travel committee budget, October 2017 - April 2018
    • Usually 20k/half year, can be increased later if needed
    • VOTE: approve $20k for that period
      • +1 unanimous
    • ACTION: Carlos to get back to the travel committee and update the budget in the file
    • 2017-04-09
      • Carlos sent an email to Travel Committee informing about 20k$ for next half fiscal year.
      • There is not need to update the budget spreadsheet since it was already using this budget.
  • GNOME.Asia budget request
    • Request for $13k. Includes travel, estimated at $9k.
    • VOTE: approve $13k as requested.
      • +1 unanimous
    • ACTION: Nuritzi to notify them and request an explanation for the difference with the hosting bid. - done on Aug 23rd
  • Liability insurance - still pending (see mail from 31st July)
    • Check again next week (August 8th)
    • ACTION: Rosanna to send insurance broker information for renewing General Liability and Directors and Officers Liability insurances. - done on Aug 24

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20170905 (last edited 2017-10-07 14:56:19 by CosimoCecchi)