Foundation Board Minutes for Tue, April 25th 2017, 17:00 UTC

Next meeting date Tue, May 2nd 2017, 17:00 UTC



  • Alexandre Franke
  • Allan Day
  • Meg Ford
  • Nuritzi Sanchez
  • Cosimo Cecchi
  • Rosanna Yuen
  • Neil McGovern

  • Jim Hall



Agenda for 2017-04-25

  • IamGNOME hackfest
  • Review ongoing action items


  • IamGNOME hackfest
    • VOTE: approve a budget of $43 for snacks + stickers + fees, recommend that she builds a clear budget for future events, and that the hackfest parts of the event be expanded
      • +1 Cosimo, Meg, Jim, Allan, Nuritzi, Alexandre. PASSED
    • ACTION: Nuritzi to notify her of the decision and ask that we get at least two weeks notice for future requests


This section includes items which have seen an update in the last 30 days. Format is "YYYY-MM-DD, action|discussion|abstract" for this and subsequent minutes sections

  • IamGNOME hackfest
    • Julita is organizing an event in Peru
    • 2017-04-25
      • Budget of $43 for snacks + stickers + fees was approved with a recommendation that a clearer budget is built for future events, and that the hackfest parts of the event be expanded
      • ACTION: Nuritzi to notify her of the decision and ask that we get at least two weeks notice for future requests
  • GUADEC 2018 Call for Bids
    • 2017-04-25
      • ACTION: Nuritzi to send out something on social media and a news item on the main GNOME website
  • Hackfest process documentation
    • 2017-02-14
      • ACTION: Nuritzi to take a stab at updating the documentation for the process to request a hackfest and responsibilities between Board and TC
  • Google Play account (Android and Chrome stores)
    • 2016-09-27
    • 2016-10-04
      • Payment is authorized
      • ACTION: Rosanna to make the payment and follow up with Ankit
    • 2016-10-18
      • Rosanna is waiting for Ankit to reply about the gmail account
    • 2016-11-01
      • Board is discussing who should have access to the credit card associated to the account
    • 2016-11-29
      • ACTION: Rosanna to look into getting a PayPal credit card

    • 2016-12-20
      • Rosanna has been collating materials to update the PayPal account owner before looking into the credit card

    • 2017-04-18
      • ACTION: Neil to follow up with Ankit, as there seems to have been some movement here
    • 2017-04-25
      • Email sent, will chase. Merged the two "Google account" items
  • Dropping dates in copyright claims on our websites
    • 2016-12-06
      • ACTION: Alexandre to send an email to foundation-list with a proposal for discussion
    • 2016-12-20
      • Next step seems to be to reach out to Creative Commons to get advice on what exactly can and should be done
    • 2017-01-24
      • Alexandre reached out to Creative commons
    • 2017-02-28
      • Alexandre will try alternative channels
  • Privacy campaign funds
    • 2016-09-27
      • Draft is out for the Board to review and give feedback
      • ACTION: Cosimo to try and form a committee to review internship proposals
    • 2016-10-26
      • We are aiming for an internship round in spring 2017

Ongoing but stalled

This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days.

  • Owncloud shared calendar for the board
  • Money raised for defense against Groupon
    • Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be sponsored with money raised for defence against Groupon
    • 2016-09-06
      • We probably don't want to track exactly this money flow, but the initiatives that the Board has been pursuing (Flatpak, LAS GNOME) are good fits for the original intent this money was kept for
      • We can consider making a PR or some other form of announcement about how we're currently making use of this money
    • 2017-03-07
      • General feeling here is that Flatpak fits the bill of the kind of technology/event that taps into the wider community
      • Another idea may be to use the resources not for an event but for infrastructure
      • ACTION: let's understand the financial picture in the budget meeting on 3/7
  • Paypal Giving Fund
    • Alexandre suggested in december 2015 to get us enrolled in the program
      • That would give us exposure. For example Humble bundle allows to direct the charity part of purchases towards any of their participants
    • Zana tried to get us in sometime before may 2016, we never heard back.
    • 2016-09-06
      • ACTION: Zana to look into it
  • Google ad grant
    • 2016-08-10
      • ACTION: Shaun will pick this up again and try to register us into the program when he's back in the US
      • The actual ad campaigns would probably need to be managed by the Engagement/Marketing team
      • ACTION: Nuritzi to discuss with the Engagement Team and let the board know if they want to start using Google ad
  • Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks
    • 2016-08-10, ACTION: Nuritzi to take on this project and figure out what it entails
  • Web page for prior pants winners
    • 2016-08-10, ACTION: Shaun and Allan to add the web page
    • 2017-03-07
      • Only missing the winner for one year, 2005
      • We can crowdsource the details and refinement of the bios/photos/etc
  • Friends of GNOME
    • 2016-08-10
      • ACTION: Allan to get in touch with Tobi and the sysadmin team to migrate the FoG infrastructure over to GNOME
    • 2017-03-07
      • Allan will pass this on to Neil, and connect him to Tobi
    • 2017-04-18 - Neil has CRM working (ish) on the gnome website, we're looking at how to move the PayPal IPN to CiviCRM

Ongoing but no director assigned

This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days and have no Director assigned

Nice to have

This section includes items which we would love to see happen at some point but lack the time to effectively become reality

  • Contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
    • Kat to draft this
  • Privacy policy for GNOME services
    • Current draft is at

    • Sysadmin Team's NDA should also be covered when dealing with this item
    • Kat or Allan to write up the policy
    • Kat or Allan to write up recommended wording for distribution privacy policies, regarding the behaviour of GNOME software
  • Photography policy for GNOME conferences
    • Proposal needs to be drafted and sent to foundation list for discussion
    • Should probably be addressed at the same time as a standardised code of conduct

Discussed on the mailing list

Completed actions

  • Sponsorship emails like "Information Required"
    • 2017-04-18
      • Neil has been replying to them recently
      • ACTION: Neil to put together a template for this and share with the Board + a webpage that we can point to - Done, see email to board and
  • WHS donations report

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20170425 (last edited 2017-05-03 09:14:31 by AlexandreFranke)