Foundation Board Minutes for Tue, December 20th 2016, 18:00 UTC

Next meeting date Tue, January 10th 2017, 18:00 UTC



  • Alexandre Franke
  • Allan Day
  • Shaun McCance

  • Meg Ford
  • Rosanna Yuen


  • Nuritzi Sanchez
  • Cosimo Cecchi
  • Jim Hall


Agenda for 2016-12-20

  • libertyVPS server donation
  • "Invoice for venue of GIMP Hacking week 2017"
  • "GIMP @ LGM 2016 - Reimbursements round 2"
  • GUADEC accommodation invoice
  • Chrome Store account for managing GNOME Shell integration browser extension


  • libertyVPS server donation
    • ACTION: Meg to check with sysadmins whether we actually need a server
  • "Invoice for venue of GIMP Hacking week 2017"
  • "GIMP @ LGM 2016 - Reimbursements round 2"
    • No objection, as it falls within nonprofit use.
  • GUADEC accommodation invoice
    • Sam is asking for the first payment to be sent
    • Rosanna will pay it, as previously agreed.
  • Chrome Store account for managing GNOME Shell integration browser extension
    • ACTION: Shaun to find out more about what's involved in creating an account


This section includes items which have seen an update in the last 30 days. Format is "YYYY-MM-DD, action|discussion|abstract" for this and subsequent minutes sections

  • Dropping dates in copyright claims on our websites
    • 2016-12-06
      • ACTION: Alexandre to send an email to foundation-list with a proposal for discussion
    • 2016-12-20
      • Next step seems to be to reach out to Creative Commons to get advice on what exactly can and should be done
  • USPTO trademark email
    • We got an email about renewal for our logo.
    • We thought it was already sorted.
    • We are in touch with Pam about this.
    • 2016-12-20
      • ACTION: Allan to ping Pam.
  • Conference sponsorships
    • 2016-12-20
      • Meg has gotten in touch with the GNOME.Asia and GUADEC teams and is working on a draft of the 2017 brochure.
  • Email from HELLOTUX, "GNOME hoodie and a new shirt"
    • We have a license agreement with HELLOTUX, they want to expand the range of products and they need our approval to do so
    • There's a question about Ubuntu GNOME merchandise to address separately, since we would need another agreement in place with Ubuntu GNOME that considers merchandise for them to do so
      • It's also tricky becaue there are other parties interested to royalties, and the agreement would not only be wih GNOME
    • 2016-11-29
      • Allan has emailed HELLOTUX. We're waiting to hear back.
  • GUADEC venue and accommodation contract, and bank account
    • 2016-11-29
      • ACTION: Rosanna to let us know if we are actually using the liability coverage in the US. Should we keep it, or is it obsolete?
    • 2016-12-20
      • Contract has been signed and venue deposit has been wired
      • ACTION: Rosanna to send accommodation deposit
  • ED search update
    • 2016-08-10, The search is still ongoing
    • 2016-11-08
      • The ED search committee identified qualified candidates and presented them to the Board.
      • The Board is in advanced stages of the process.
  • Google Play account
    • 2016-09-27
    • 2016-10-04
      • Payment is authorized
      • ACTION: Rosanna to make the payment and follow up with Ankit
    • 2016-10-18
      • Rosanna is waiting for Ankit to reply about the gmail account
    • 2016-11-01
      • Board is discussing who should have access to the credit card associated to the account
    • 2016-11-29
      • ACTION: Rosanna to look into getting a PayPal credit card

    • 2016-12-20
      • Rosanna has been collating materials to update the PayPal account owner before looking into the credit card

  • Privacy campaign funds
    • 2016-09-27
      • Draft is out for the Board to review and give feedback
      • ACTION: Cosimo to try and form a committee to review internship proposals
    • 2016-10-26
      • We are aiming for an internship round in spring 2017
  • Bitcoins donations data
    • 2016-12-13
      • EFF and FSF do accept Bitcoin donation, so we should reconsider closing the account
      • ACTION: Allan to send an update about the fact that we won't be closing the Bitpay account yet, and do more investigation

Ongoing but stalled

This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days.

  • Owncloud shared calendar for the board
  • Money raised for defense against Groupon
    • Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be sponsored with money raised for defence against Groupon
    • 2016-09-06
      • We probably don't want to track exactly this money flow, but the initiatives that the Board has been pursuing (Flatpak, LAS GNOME) are good fits for the original intent this money was kept for
      • We can consider making a PR or some other form of announcement about how we're currently making use of this money
  • Paypal Giving Fund
    • Alexandre suggested in december 2015 to get us enrolled in the program
      • That would give us exposure. For example Humble bundle allows to direct the charity part of purchases towards any of their participants
    • Zana tried to get us in sometime before may 2016, we never heard back.
    • 2016-09-06
      • ACTION: Zana to look into it.
  • From the mailing list - "support my volunteer program" (Allan)
    • 2016-08-30
      • There's very little information in the message, unclear how they're related to GNOME
      • ACTION: Shaun to reply asking for more information
  • Google ad grant
    • 2016-08-10
      • ACTION: Shaun will pick this up again and try to register us into the program when he's back in the US
      • The actual ad campaigns would probably need to be managed by the Engagement/Marketing team
      • ACTION: Nuritzi to discuss with the Engagement Team and let the board know if they want to start using Google ad
  • Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks
    • 2016-08-10, ACTION: Nuritzi to take on this project and figure out what it entails
  • Web page for prior pants winners
    • 2016-08-10, ACTION: Shaun and Allan to add the web page
  • Status of logo copyright
    • 2015-12-01, ACTION: Shaun to send out email to d-d-l with proposal
    • 2015-12-08 to 2016-01-19, No updates.
    • 2016-02-02, Shaun will try to pick it up this week
    • 2016-08-10, ACTION: Shaun will send a proposal to licence the asset with dual LGPLv3/CC-BY-SA-4.0 (similar to adwaita-icon-theme)
  • Friends of GNOME
    • 2016-04-11, ACTION: Alexandre to request more information about the donation data from the European donations system (Wau Holland Stiftung Foundation)
    • 2016-08-10
      • ACTION: Allan to get in touch with Tobi and the sysadmin team to migrate the FoG infrastructure over to GNOME

Ongoing but no director assigned

This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days and have no Director assigned

Nice to have

This section includes items which we would love to see happen at some point but lack the time to effectively become reality

  • Contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
    • Kat to draft this
  • Privacy policy for GNOME services
    • Current draft is at

    • Sysadmin Team's NDA should also be covered when dealing with this item
    • Kat or Allan to write up the policy
    • Kat or Allan to write up recommended wording for distribution privacy policies, regarding the behaviour of GNOME software
  • Photography policy for GNOME conferences
    • Proposal needs to be drafted and sent to foundation list for discussion
    • Should probably be addressed at the same time as a standardised code of conduct

Discussed on the mailing list

Completed actions

  • The new domain email
    • 2016-12-06
      • ACTION: Nuritzi to get back to the sender and say that we are not interested in purchasing the domain at this time
    • 2016-12-13
      • DONE: Nuritzi replied on 13th December.

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20161220 (last edited 2017-02-07 05:15:16 by CosimoCecchi)