How to request sponsorship for an event (e.g. GUADEC, GNOME.Asia or a hackfest)
Check if you and the event are eligible for sponsorship
- Wait patiently for a response from the Travel Committee, you will either be:
- Offered sponsorship
- Asked for more details
- Asked to update your application
- Sent a rejection
- Accept the offer
- Book your travel
Send your receipts to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than two weeks after the event:
Send PDFs of email receipts for flight tickets, etc.
- Scans and photos need to be cropped to show only the receipt and, if needed, scaled to a maximum height or width of 1200 pixels
Write your report, preferably in blog form, following instructions on the travel sponsorship page
- You will receive a confirmation of receipt
- You will be reimbursed
Things to keep in mind during the process
- Be patient, we are volunteers.
- If it is taking too long and you see prices could significantly raise -or something similar- please ping a member of the committee.
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU RECEIVE A VERY CLEAR CONFIRMATION: applying does not mean you are approved and silence does not mean approval.
- Find the best fares for tickets and accommodation: look at various airlines and routes, try to avoid agencies since they usually charge 10% or 20% extra.
The travel committee use http://kayak.com to verify flight prices.
- Find a roommate to save on lodging costs where possible, ask if you need help.
- Ask for only what you need: if you can afford to pay for some of your ticket or lodging, we would really appreciate it as that means we can help more people.
Be responsible, the money you save is the money we will use to fund someone else or even yourself again.