Notes from GUADEC 2015
- Onboarding can be improved: Right now, the hub is Damned Lies and there is a 2 step process - read the guidelines for the team and join the mailing list.
- What should go into an onboarding:
- set of recommended terminology, terms / glossary
- consistent voice, and minimal style guide
- what are some tools that translation teams know and use and love, then it's up to each team to adopt them (the bottom line is that we want PO files)
- how to test your translations or see the build
- Mailing Lists: might not be the best way to get people onboarded.
- Need a Django person! To help us add additional features to Damned Lies. Would preferably love working on localization.
75 bugs reports are open, 59 of them actually are feature requests. (https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=product%3Adamned-lies&list_id=53359)
Action Steps for the Translation Project
Improve or refresh the main translation project page on the wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject/ContributeTranslations
- e.g. change the name from Vertimus to Damned Lies (Hackfest material!)
General interaction with GNOME translation. Improve the "Starting a new team" pages to suggest documentation that should exist e.g. "style guide for documentation translation" (see voice/style guide in docs team - https://wiki.gnome.org/DocumentationProject/GUADEC2015Notes).
Advertise for translator manpower. Might try using business cards with a relevant IRC channel and an email address. NuritziSanchez. Talk to engagement about this idea. Business cards per project. Talk to Kat about budget! Talk to AndreasNilsson about design.
Find Django people! Give them to AlexandreFranke
Go through the list of open bugs and prioritize them. Close outdated issues and duplicated issues. Create a list of 5 priority bugs we want them to fix. Give them to AlexandreFranke
- Should know English!
- Lack web developers! Could have a GSoC for web developers. Challenges - need maintenance. CMS. Talk to the engagement team.
- Can we add a page into the website in order to advertise areas where we need help? @Engagement team
Full notes on Etherpad: https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/L10nDocs
Documentation Project's Notes from GUADEC 2015: https://wiki.gnome.org/DocumentationProject/GUADEC2015Notes