3.30 Release Notes Items
Changes in GNOME 3.30, to be potentially mentioned in the release notes.
Please note that this page does not need to be pretty or well-written. It's just a list that will be used to make the actual release notes.
See also the advice about the schedule and translation.
Also see feature plans for 3.30.
Attention Press/Reviewers This is a work in progress. Items aren't checked for correctness. Statements may be completely wrong. Very large changes could be forgotten. Please wait until the final release notes are done. This page will not contain everything that will be in the final release notes.
List any changes that:
- Affect users, administrators or developers.
- Are something people have been hoping for or discussing widely.
- Feature, usability, performance, internationalization or accessibility improvements.
Even small changes are interesting, and can sometimes be combined into wider themes.
Provide this information:
- What the module (application) is.
- What the change is.
- How it will look and work from a user perspective.
- Why it is better than what we had before.
Be as descriptive as you like. It is better too long than too short. Links and screenshots are very welcome!
What's new for users
- RDP Support
This enables GNOME Boxes to remote-control Windows systems. gnome-boxes!37
Better VM creation assistant gnome-boxes!46
Import OVA files into Boxes gnome-boxes!39
- Virtual Boy games are now listed in the games collection
- Platforms newly playable in the stable Flatpak:
- Game Gear
- Master System
- Nintendo DS
- Virtual Boy
- Improved cover loading time leading to better collection loading time
- Allow the user to set the keyboard to gamepad mapping
- Add a description page to games, giving you more information on your games like the developer, the release date, or a description
- Allow to list games by platforms or developers
- Navigation in Games' UI with gamepads
- Use small thumbnails to represent games if the window is narrow
- Move the application menu to the collection view ahead of 3.32
- Add a shortcuts window
- Various small UI refinements and bug fixes
Removed application menu, following the GNOME 3 Human Interface Guildelines, and added a new primary (hamburger) menu to the main view
Improved note view format, following GNOME Design team directions - #39 and #52 bug reports
Added a "Text Size" option in primary (hamburger) menu to let users scale (zoom) note view - #30 bug report
- Thunderbolt support
- Dynamic panels (hardware-related panels, e.g. Wi-Fi, are hidden on the absence of that hardware)
- Airplane Mode improvements
Emoji completion. When enabled, you can now type :xyz<TAB> in an entry to get a popup with emoji suggestions that match the string xyz in their name
- Font variations. When enabled, the font chooser offers to tweak the axes of variable fonts to create a customized font variant
Font featues. When enabled, the font chooser offers to tweak OpenType features such as small caps, old-style numerals, or ligatures
- Clean reader mode
Carousel of featured apps on the landing page (related UI issue)
- Automatic updating of Flatpaks (on by default)
- Means that you don't have to manually update your apps - it's all done for you
There's a preferences dialog to turn it on and off (issue with screenshot)
- New more streamlined location bar and search entry
- Uses less space
- Options for the current location are more obvious
- View options are more obvious
Added implicit TLS mode support for FTP backend (gvfs#4, gvfs!3)
Added support for TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt volumes in GNOME (https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2018-June/msg00016.html)
- Ability to stop screen sharing and remote desktop sessions via the system menu (on Wayland)
- Shows a indicator when screen is shared
- A system menu section with a way to turn of active sessions
New avatar chooser gnome-initial-setup!7
VeraCrypt (aka TrueCrypt) encrypted storage drives/container files can be accessed if the distro supports it
- Basic support for ECDSA and ED25519 SSH keys
What's new in accessibility
What's new for administrators
What's new for developers
- App menus no longer recommended - won't be shown in the top bar from 3.32
- App icon style and format changes - planned for 3.32
- The HIG has been (or will have been!) updated with new guidance for these topics
- GTK+ 3.24
- backported event controllers from GTK+ 4
- new Emoji completion needs to be opted in with a property
- new font chooser features need to be opted in with a property
Debugging support has been added to GJS. Activate it by running the GJS console interpreter with the -d or --debugger flag _before_ the name of the JS program on the command line. gjs/issues#110
SpiderMonkey 60 => performance improvements gjs/issues#161