- Resolve design issues with the tray and notifications (difficult to open the tray, notifications getting missed or getting in the way, the tray not providing an effective representation of notifications).
- Simplify the gnome-shell notifications implementation, to ensure maintainability and lower the number of bugs.
- Make notifications more interesting and useful to users, by enhancing the platform and promoting effective notification usage by applications.
- Migrate away from status icons.
Key elements to the initiative:
Elements to the notifications redesign:
- Refactor Message Tray into a top bar menu.
- Refactor banners to the top-right of the screen.
- Create a new system tray for system icons.
- Refactor notification preferences to reflect new design.
- Add removable media to the system menu.
- Rework the calendar drop down to include weather and birthdays.
- Rework the system menu to allow music to be incorporated more easily.
- Add music to the system menu. Port music to MPRIS.
Affected modules: gnome-shell, gnome-settings-daemon, gio
Designs are being worked on. See the notifications design page.
This is a complex project with various elements. Some constituent tasks:
Some bugs to file once background notifications are supported:
- Clocks - show a background notification when a timer is running.
- Clocks - show a background notification when a stopwatch is running.
- Weather - show weather information as a background notification.
- Contacts - show a background notification for contact birthdays.
How to Help
Comment on the design page, speak to Jasper about the coding tasks required. There's plenty.