See the following for now:
Quick note on Speech on Ubuntu Gutsy
eSpeak does not work well as shipped on Ubuntu Gutsy as of this writing on 14-Aug-2007. Here's some quick notes for Linux-savvy people to try to get eSpeak working:
Download/build/install PortAudio v19 stable (061121)
- gunzip/untar it and cd to the portaudio directory
- ./configure --prefix=/usr; make; sudo make install; sudo ldconfig
Download/build/install eSpeak 1.28
- unzip it and cd to the espeak-1.28-source directory
- cd src; cp /usr/include/portaudio.h .
- make; sudo make install
Download/build/install gnome-speech 0.4.16
- gunzip/untar it and cd to the gnome-speech-0.4.16 directory
- ./configure --prefix=/usr; make; sudo make install
Worked for me (Will).