Gnome Keyring Distributor Notes
These dependencies are required or recommended to build gnome-keyring:
gcr-3 >= 3.27.90
glib-2.0 >= 2.44.0
libgcrypt >= 1.2.2
libpam optional: automatic unlocking of keyring will be disabled
libtasn1 >= 0.3.4
- ssh-add and ssh-agent commands from OpenSSH
Starting and Stopping the Gnome Keyring Daemon
Integration and startup with PAM allows user does not need to enter any keyring passwords. A PAM module is provided for this purpose.
Startup and shutdown of gnome-keyring-daemon is detailed on its own page.
- It is recommended, to configure the OS so that the user can use at least 256KB of lockable memory (ie: non-pageable). This will allow gnome-keyring to keep the encryption keys, and passwords from being paged to the disk.
- If you would rather use another SSH agent, you can do so by building without ssh support:
# ./configure --disable-ssh-agent
- The following environment variables may be set by gnome-keyring:
GNOME_KEYRING_PID GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL SSH_AUTH_SOCK
More details on how environment variables are set on this page.
- Gnome Keyring looks for passwords and encryption keys in the following locations:
~/.ssh: SSH encryption keys
~/.gnome2/keyrings: Password keyrings, keys and certificates.
The location of CA Root certificates can be configured with the --with-root-certs=/path configure option. It is blank by default.