Attachment '20080513.txt'

Download

   1 < mclasen> do we have an agenda for today ?
   2 < ebassi> the points on the wiki are:
   3 < ebassi>           o possible change of date for the IRC meetings
   4 < ebassi>           o gtk+ 2.13 schedule for GNOME 2.24
   5 < ebassi>           o removal of the gtk+ 1.2 and 2.0 tutorial from the tarball
   6 < ebassi>           o overhaul of the gobject tutorial 
   7 < timj> i have some extra points...
   8 < ebassi> okay
   9 < timj> - should we add a website bugzilla component?
  10 < martyn> timj: yes please :)
  11 < timj> if you don't mind, i'd like to handle this first, it's why i asked martyn to join here
  12 < timj> so far we had people nagging about two "website bugs" already:     http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=531754
  13 < timj>     http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=514882
  14 < timj> martyn and andreas both told me they'd aprechiate a website component.
  15 < mclasen> I don't think adding bugzilla components needs a long discussion ... just do it
  16 < mclasen> obviously makes sense
  17 < timj> ok good. i'll add it to the gtk+ product then.
  18 < martyn> thanks
  19 < mclasen> timj: do you have more extra points ?
  20 < timj> somewhat related, DNS ofr www.gtk.org and gtk.org has been updated now. the website is now hosted on cube.gtk.org which is a site at MIT that can stand high traffic loads
  21 < timj> snorfle takes care of it.
  22 < timj> ftp and MX hasn't been moved so far. afiu, snorfle wants to extend the current account list or similar so people (mostly mclasen, possibly behdad) can continue to upload stuff.
  23 < martyn> timj: thanks for doing that by the way
  24 < mclasen> timj: that requires me to make releases first...
  25 < timj> mclasen: not the setting up of accounts ;)
  26 < timj> mclasen: i have two othe rminor things:
  27 < timj> - mclasen asked me about unit test fixes/changes some weeks ago. what exactly did that refer to?
  28 < mclasen> I think it may have been in reference to segfaults during make check
  29 < mclasen> which have meanwhile been fixed, I believe (there was something wrong with argument handling in gtester, iirc)
  30 < timj> - some Imendians (sven, timj, mabe kris, maybe mitch) plan to go to Linuxtag in Berlin in two weeks. 
  31 < timj>   is anyone else going there so setting up a Gtk+ meeting would make sense?
  32 < mclasen> I'm not
  33 < mclasen> and pretty sure none of the RH gtk people are in Europe at that time
  34 < mclasen> Lennart doesn't count...
  35 < timj> heh ;)
  36 < mclasen> ok, I have another extra point if you are done
  37 < timj> done
  38 < mclasen> - distribute maintainership more evenly
  39 < mclasen> in particular, I'd like to get to a point where me being absent for a month or two doesn't mean that no releases can happen
  40 < mclasen> obviously not something we can settle on the spot today, but something to think about 
  41 < mclasen> so maybe we should just let it sink in until next meeting and get back to the regular agenda
  42 < mclasen> do we want to change meeting times ? or is this time good for most people ?
  43 < ebassi> it's good for me
  44 < mclasen> (I may have to drop out for some 10 minutes for some of the next few Tuesdays but other than that, it is ok for me too 
  45 < mclasen> seems like we stay with this time then until further notice...
  46 < ebassi> mclasen: is the time okay or should we move it?
  47 < mclasen> I'm in favor of keeping it
  48 < ebassi> okay
  49 < timj> mclasen: didn't you say tuesdays conflict with some of your family duties? moving it to a different day would be entirely fine with me for instance
  50 < mclasen> timj: as I said, I have to pick up Jan from fencing around the 30 minute mark, but it is only a few more Tuesdays, and only if Sabine is working
  51 < mclasen> and it is right around the corner, so I should be back after 10 minutes...you won't even notice that  I'm gone
  52 < timj> mclasen: i'll look into whether Imendio can provide any release work related resources. other than that, this also sounds like a perfect community task. (in the past, we've had snorfle build and upload releases for instance, though he didn't do a whole lot of hacking on gtk back then)
  53 < mclasen> yeah, it can be delgated
  54 < mclasen> I should probably update the howto to include more details of what I actually do to make a release happen
  55 < mclasen> so that it becomes easier for someone else to do without forgetting something
  56 < ebassi> cairo has a nice RELEASING file
  57 < timj> mclasen: yes please. do you have the link btw?
  58 < ebassi> in git
  59 < ebassi> very easy to follow :-)
  60 < mclasen> timj: to the howto ? it is in gtk/docs/ in svn
  61 < timj> ah thanks
  62 < ebassi> about howtos and documentation, there are two points in the agenda regarding the gtk+ and gobject howtos
  63 < mclasen> ebassi: we ship 1.x documentation ? 
  64 < ebassi> can we please remove the gtk+ 1.2 tutorial from svn? and maybe drop the tutorial entirely, since it's clearly unmaintained and it's doing more harm than good?
  65 < timj> ebassi: your point indicates we ship the 1.2 tutorial in 2.0 tarballs?
  66 < ebassi> somebody arrived on #gtk+ complaining about it - looking at the tarball I can't see it, though :-/
  67 < timj> ebassi: from svn? that is different, i'm currently still building the 1.2 tutorial for web site updates
  68 < ebassi> timj: can we move it in the gtk website, then?
  69 < mclasen> or move it to www.gtk1.org 
  70 < ebassi> on the whole issue, I'm a little drastic: I don't think we should ship the tutorial anymore
  71 < ebassi> timj: it's not like it's changing
  72 < ebassi> timj: both of them, actually :-)
  73  * mclasen agrees 
  74 < timj> ebassi: i'm using: svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/gtk+/branches/gtk-1-2/docs
  75 < ebassi> timj: the 1.x tutorial is still in trunk
  76 < timj> ebassi: i think we should definitely keep the tutorial in the gtk-1-2 branch, but if its still present in trunk it should be removed there
  77 < ebassi> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gtk%2B/trunk/docs/tutorial/gtk_tut.sgml?revision=12327&view=markup
  78 < timj> ebassi: i'm fine with not shipping the 2.0 tutorial in the tarballs, as long as the tarball has prominent links to the online version. and of course, the 2.0 tutorial shouldn't be removed from trunk
  79  * mclasen thinks the only hope of getting any updates for this is to integrate it in the regular docs
  80 < timj> ebassi: unless anone disagrees, can you turn this into action items please? (remove 1.2 from trunk, remove 2.0 from tarball builds, add 2.0 links)
  81 < ebassi> timj: doing it right now
  82 < ebassi> :-)
  83 < timj> great
  84 < mclasen> wrt to the  gtk+ 2.13 schedule for GNOME 2.24  
  85 < mclasen> I think I want to take the rest of the week to get an overview of the state of trunk and do a devel snapshot early next week
  86 < ebassi> we still have some minor api stuff, like the gtk_show_uri() call
  87 < ebassi> which blocks on GtkMountOperation, afair
  88 < mclasen> yeah, that too, is on my list to look at
  89 < timj> mclasen: i plan to get gtk_widget_snapshot() into trunk this or next week (i.e. before linuxtag)
  90 < mclasen> I have probably missed discussion of that while I was off in Fedoraland - that is offscreen rendering, I assume ?
  91 < ebassi> minus event redirection, yes
  92 < mitchAFK> i guess i missed the party...
  93 < timj> mclasen: correct, just the rendering.
  94 < mclasen> here is a proposal: should we collect a list of outstanding 2.13 items by next week ?
  95 < timj> not sure, when is 2.13 due?
  96 < timj> Kris for instance will only be back next week (vacations atm)
  97 < mclasen> the original plan called for a guadec release
  98 < mclasen> anyway, it makes sense to wait for kris to return
  99 < ebassi> the next meeting is in two weeks anyway, so there's time I guess
 100 < mclasen> ok
 101 < timj> btw, ebassi are you going to upload the meeting logs?
 102 < ebassi> timj: yes
 103 < mclasen> what about the last point on your agenda,         o overhaul of the gobject tutorial ?
 104 < mclasen> did we cover that ?
 105 < ebassi> mclasen: oh, yeah
 106 < timj> we've been having and forgetting those on and off during the past and should really fix that
 107 < ebassi> timj: I'll send the minutes on the list as well
 108 < timj> ebassi: thanks, much aprechiated
 109 < ebassi> timj: I've been bad with those, sorry :-/
 110 < ebassi> mclasen: the gobject tutorial is insanely bad; I've been trying to salvage it, but the whole section on the signals is borked
 111 < ebassi> as I said on the bug, I'll try to get it done before 2.14
 112 < ebassi> if anyone has ideas for the tutorial, I'd like to hear them (even in private mail)
 113 < ebassi> because as it is, it's actually worse than the gtk tutorial: it teaches bad practises
 114 < mclasen> hmm
 115  * mclasen has to go
 116 < timj> ebassi: feel free to send me moderately small chunks for review if that helps. (experience shows that as the size of review chunks increases, chances go down for a quick review fomr my part... ;( )
 117 < mclasen> see you guys in two weeks then
 118 < ebassi> timj: okay, will do
 119 < ebassi> mclasen: see you :-)
 120 < mclasen> as I said, I'm aiming for a devel snapshot next week
 121 < timj> mclasen: sounds good.

Attached Files

To refer to attachments on a page, use attachment:filename, as shown below in the list of files. Do NOT use the URL of the [get] link, since this is subject to change and can break easily.
  • [get | view] (2008-02-14 13:38:27, 13.2 KB) [[attachment:20080108.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2008-02-14 12:31:10, 14.9 KB) [[attachment:20080212.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2008-05-13 21:08:25, 8.5 KB) [[attachment:20080513.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2008-06-03 22:01:20, 22.1 KB) [[attachment:20080603.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2008-06-17 21:54:14, 8.9 KB) [[attachment:20080617.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2008-07-01 21:25:18, 19.7 KB) [[attachment:20080701.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2008-07-23 07:02:41, 17.5 KB) [[attachment:20080722.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2008-08-12 21:36:41, 24.1 KB) [[attachment:20080812.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2008-08-26 21:12:59, 8.0 KB) [[attachment:20080826.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2008-09-23 21:10:12, 10.6 KB) [[attachment:20080923.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2008-10-08 21:57:51, 9.0 KB) [[attachment:20081007.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2008-11-11 21:20:57, 11.4 KB) [[attachment:20081111.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2008-11-25 21:22:23, 18.3 KB) [[attachment:20081125.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2008-12-27 16:34:51, 9.0 KB) [[attachment:20081216.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2009-02-17 21:28:17, 3.8 KB) [[attachment:20090217.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2009-10-06 21:49:58, 24.9 KB) [[attachment:20091006.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2009-10-20 23:08:22, 34.8 KB) [[attachment:20091020.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2009-11-09 22:28:05, 25.5 KB) [[attachment:20091027.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2009-11-10 21:55:26, 17.1 KB) [[attachment:20091110.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2009-11-24 22:15:50, 25.6 KB) [[attachment:20091124.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2010-03-24 00:09:17, 37.6 KB) [[attachment:20100323.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2010-05-04 22:50:15, 26.8 KB) [[attachment:20100504.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2010-05-11 22:07:38, 23.0 KB) [[attachment:20100511.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2010-05-25 22:04:51, 13.2 KB) [[attachment:20100525.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2010-06-08 23:00:27, 29.9 KB) [[attachment:20100608.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2010-06-22 22:31:39, 24.6 KB) [[attachment:20100622.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2010-07-06 22:27:00, 22.8 KB) [[attachment:20100706.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2010-08-17 22:22:28, 35.0 KB) [[attachment:20100817.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2010-09-07 23:22:38, 32.4 KB) [[attachment:20100907.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2010-09-21 22:04:38, 20.6 KB) [[attachment:20100921.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2010-10-12 22:11:10, 26.9 KB) [[attachment:20101012.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2010-12-14 22:32:03, 40.6 KB) [[attachment:20101214.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2011-03-08 23:50:53, 17.8 KB) [[attachment:20110308.txt]]
  • [get | view] (2011-05-10 21:36:21, 23.6 KB) [[attachment:20110510.txt]]
 All files | Selected Files: delete move to page copy to page

You are not allowed to attach a file to this page.