Plans for generating API documentation for languages using introspection
This week (hackfest at Desktop Summit 2011)
- Write our own documentation generator that inputs the GIR and outputs docbook
We are basing it on the patch in bug #625494: Add DocBook Generator
- Essentially rewriting gtk-doc
- The hard work is already done by giscanner and the data is in the GIR
- We can use giscanner libraries to parse the GIR and lookup type info without much effort
- Provide hooks in our new generator to transform the API to language-specific type names and calling conventions.
- Provide a way for other languages to have their own hooks to transform the API
- Handle all the corner cases and bring g-ir-doctool to parity with gtk-doc.
- Currently there are many formatting corner cases.
- g-ir-doctool has no plans to integrate well with hand written documentation (as gtk-doc currently does with all the hand written chapters in gtk+)
- g-ir-doctool would like to be a simpler tool with only one input: the GIR file for any library