Women's Dinner at GUADEC 2017
The eighth annual women's dinner will take place at GUADEC 2017 on Sunday, July 30th at 20:00. We will be dining at a restaurant on Manchester's Curry Mile so that we can meet up with the rest of the group:
Location: Mughli Charcoal Pit, 30 Wilmslow Rd, Manchester M14 5TQ
Time: 8:30 pm
If you go on the tour or go to the games, a group will be heading over to the dinner directly from each event.
About the event
Women (cis and trans) and genderqueer people are invited to attend if interested. Having a women's event provides an additional opportunity for women in the community to meet each other, and establish a connection and a comfortable environment for discussing common issues. In particular, in a community with few women contributors, women with any experience level often enjoy knowing and having an informal mentorship relationship with women who are more established as contributors. A women's event is a catalyst for making such connections. You can learn more about why women in free software find events for women valuable in this article.
Please RSVP for the Women's Dinner by adding your name here.
- Eleanor Blandford
NOTE: Your RSVP will help us get a sense of how much interest there is for this event, so please add your name if you're interested in attending. If you can't edit the wiki for whatever reason, please email Nuritzi (nuritzi at gnome dot org) with your RSVP.
If you have any dietary restrictions, let us know by adding them in this section:
- Preference for vegetarian options
- Coordinate with GUADEC organizers to advertise the dinner as a social event in GUADEC materials and during announcements, if possible
Send an invitation like this to the gnome-women-list
- Dinner organizer should send individual e-mails to women and genderqueer people they know or are connected with, who are attending GUADEC, to let them know about the dinner, so that those who are not interested in attending don't get multiple e-mails in the thread. (Using BCC is another option, but there is a risk recipients won't get the e-mail in their inbox.)
- Information supplied by people when registering for GUADEC about their gender identity should not be used to determine whom to send the invitation to, since the intent is only to use that information for aggregate reporting purposes. (The note on GUADEC 2017 registration says "All information provided is anonymized and will not be associated with you.")
- In the dinner details, remember to list the person in whose name the reservation was made and a phone number so that attendees can contact someone from the organizing group if they have trouble finding the group.