1 day conference
The 1 day conference can be hosted in one of the universities in Hong Kong.
5 days Hackfest
It's suggested to rent a few guest houses for 5 days (usually 5 to 10 persons / house) in separate islands. We can pick the ones with wifi access and next to the beach.
There are three separate islands in Hong Kong.
- Lantau Island is the closest to the airport, 1 hour drive from the airport.
- All the three islands are accessible by ferries from Kowloon or Hong Kong Island. Duration: 1 hour. It will take around 2 hours (train plus ferry) to go to the other two islands from the airport.
Guest house price
- Weekday: range from USD 40 to 110 / person (2 stars to 4 stars)
- Weekend (holidays): range from USD 70 - 140 / person (2 stars to 4 stars)
- Exchange rate: 1 USD to ~7.75 HKD.
- We also need to check and bargain for wifi access. need to also test for the speed...
- There are a lot of sea food restaurants in islands
- We can also go to supermarket to buy stuff to bbq outside of our guest house
- Otherwise, there are also a lot of local restaurants for noodles, sandwiches or fried rice
2nd option will be to find a hotel / resort in rather remote area that can offer affordable package to accommodate 50 to 70 hackers for 5 days.
- Gold Coast Hotel - Holiday Inn in the new territories, next to the sea as well. Since it's quite remote area, so it's rather cheap but high quality.
- Meeting rooms + Lunch + 2 times coffee break 60 USD / day / person
- Asking the hotel to provide a package price for 50-70 people including bed rooms with free wifi access, 3 to 6 meeting rooms with free wifi access, food included as a total package. Will keep you posted here.
- Transportation: 1.5 hours from the airport
To work with non-profit organization in Hong Kong to get a free or very low price venue.
YMCA Hotel in Kowloon recommended by Sammy from OpenSource.hk community. More details will be provided later. (but this area / location is rather expensive, so we will see if Sammy can get a good package...)