Discussion of the 'wider ecosystem' problem
Easy to write json and build, but what do you do then ?
- have a curated app store that people can submit their own build repos for: flatpak app store
- have a ppa-like build service where you can upload a json file and get a repository in return: flathub
- use OBS for building ?
- legal review
- bandwidth and storage cost
- server hosting
Developer workflow for build service:
- upload json file
- server builds
- get back repository
Developer workflow for curated appstore:
- build app locally
- upload bundle
- app goes into review queue
- after review, it gets published
App store needs policy for naming conflict resolution
Docker hub as existing example
Flatpak app store should be a place to find stuff
Flatpak app store should be a place to see the 'official' builds
Concern that distributions will want to control and rebuild everything
Review is very hard without the sources, in that respect building everything from a json file is much better
Another aspect that is required for legal review is to maintain license information and source code urls
- license compatibility information
- go back to the gnome board to evaluate feasibility and resources
- explore alternative organisational umbrellas: linux foundation, kde
- scope work
- evaluate Richard's prototype
- list resources
- design flathub experience
~ Coffee Break ~
Cosimo wants to have a way for apps and runtimes to declare that they require certain dbus services.
Endless also needs a way to ship session services in flatpaks. Similar issue for exporting
Idea: let runtimes export services, maybe require bus names to be prefixed by the runtime name+branch.
Another use case is tracker. Opinions on tracker are that full-text indexing your entire home directory should be an explicit system service
Discussion with tracker team from devexp hackfest: data store should be per app, mining should be broken out
Another example: kde apps require some services that should be provided by the core os
Can we have private services inside sandboxes that take bus names without conflict ?
Discussion around goa and how this should work / be replaced by the sharing portal.
- Research exact details of kde launching and services
- Research what happens when launching gnome apps in kde
- Make exporting pluggable