Foundation Board Minutes for Tuesday, May 29th 2018, 18:00 UTC

Next meeting date Tuesday, June 3rd 2018, 18:00 UTC



  • Nuritzi Sanchez



  • (URGENT) Legal entity to use for GUADEC operations (Carlos)
  • GUADEC picnic location (Alexandre)
  • GUADEC swag (Alexandre)
  • Code of conduct approval (Alexandre)
  • GUADEC 2018 Board & AdBoard meeting prep (Nuritzi)

  • 2018 Pants nominations (Nuritzi)
  • GUADEC 2019 (Allan)
  • LAS GNOME Denver Conference Bid (Meg)



  • (URGENT) Legal entity to use for GUADEC operations (Carlos)
    • The 2018 GUADEC organisers are suggesting to use a local legal entity - "Club de Cacharreo" - to manage payments and invoices
    • Rosanna asks what the legal status of this organisation is. It's been described as an "association"; we think this means that it's a non-profit
    • Allan: it would be interesting to know why they went with that option. It's not always necessary to use a legal organisation. Alexandre: this depends on the country.
    • Neil has some experience using local entities. They can have some advantages. We need to ensure that we have a contract with them, to ensure that they will give us any cash back, and so on. We ought to have a standard one that we can reuse.
    • Alexandre: we have one from 2014, it should be in the archive.
    • [ACTION] Alexandre will dig the contract up from the archive ( )

    • [ACTION] Carlos will get back to the local organizer to ensure it's non profit, proper registration, bank account… ( )

  • GUADEC picnic location (Alexandre)
    • The GUADEC team is asking for permission to use a location that's owned by the military
    • Carlos has the impression from the photos that it's more used for official events
    • Alexandre: there will be no military on site. It's a matter of politics.
    • [ACTION] Carlos to respond in the same email that it's fine by the board ( )

  • GUADEC swag (Alexandre)
    • Ismael has requested on IRC if/how they should get permission for selling GNOME-branded swag
    • Allan can review designs as needed. It should be fine as it's for a GNOME event
    • [ACTION] Allan to respond to Ismael. We can use issues on GitLab to track/review requests.

  • Visa handling for GUADEC
    • Since we discussed this last week, a page has been put up on However, there's little time for people to apply for visas.
    • [ACTION] Didier to reach out to Andreas and others from the visa invitations committee

Cosimo enters

  • Code of conduct approval (Alexandre)
    • Alexandre wants to have on the record that he disagrees with how the board approved the CoC

Alexandre leaves

  • GUADEC 2018 Board & AdBoard meeting prep (Nuritzi)

    • Neil: the latest communication with adboard was just "save the date" (the in-person advisory board meeting is happening on July 5). We need to communicate a place and who is going to turn up. We don't seem to know if we have a venue available.
    • [ACTION] Carlos to take this point with the other when talking to GUADEC organizers ( )

    • [ACTION] Neil will send a RSVP
    • Content of the meeting?
      • Update to where people are at
      • What happened in the previous 12 months (hackfests, what we've been spending on)
      • Plans for the year ahead (privacy internships, spending plans for new funds)
      • Update on technology used and progress
      • Gathering feedback
      • [ACTION] Allan to outline the meeting and slides, and volunteer board members for individual sections ( )

  • 2018 Pants nominations (Nuritzi)
  • GUADEC 2019 (Allan)
    • We still don't have any bids
    • Allan sent out an email to the foundation list, but hasn't got much back
    • Rosanna: we can comment that as GUADEC is early this year, it's normal that we don't have many proposals right now and raise awareness
    • Cosimo: GUADEC will be the best time to raise awareness
  • LAS GNOME Denver Conference Bid (Meg)
    • We received a bid for LAS GNOME 2018 last week. They need as answer from us ASAP, in order to secure the venue.
    • Cosimo finds the bid well fleshed out. They have sponsorship income confirmed. He's personnally confortable voting.
    • The bid contains a budget with a page detailing confirmed sponsorship.
    • Everybody has raised concerns or questions last week or on the ML, we can vote.
    • VOTE: approve the whole LAS GNOME bid (budget attached and proposal). Unanimous - vote passes.
    • [ACTION] Cosimo to reply to the LAS GNOME team (done)

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20180529 (last edited 2019-07-08 22:15:37 by PhilipChimento)