Foundation Board Minutes for Tuesday, May 22nd 2018, 18:00 UTC

Next meeting date Tuesday, May 29th 2018, 18:00 UTC







Neil and Meg had left by this point in the meeting.

  • LAS GNOME update (Nuritzi)
    • LAS GNOME is getting up to speed again. Nuritzi has shared a proposal document and budget.
    • There's been an internal bidding process
    • The current plan is to have it in Denver, September 6-9th
    • There's already some funds for LAS GNOME, due to sponsorship packages that have already been agreed
    • It's projected to run at a profit
    • ACTION: board members to review the proposal document, with a view to vote at next week's meeting
  • Request for account deletion in GitLab for a blocked user (Carlos)

    • Carlos sent an email to board-list with details of this
    • Carlos is the only GitLab admin. He recently blocked a user for inappropriate behaviour. This means that the user can no longer log in to edit/delete their comments.

    • The user has subsequently sent a mail demanding that their posts be deleted. The user has made the case that this is their legal right (under Canadian law) and has threatened legal action.
    • Comments can only be deleted by an admin.
    • We have a prescedent that we don't delete posts that are stored on GNOME servers.
    • Allan - why don't we delete posts? Rosanna - data retention policies are part of our staff handbook, and are required for insurance purposes.
    • Didier - on gnome-fr forums, they offer to anonymise posts rather than deleting them (in order to preserve threads). Cosimo - isn't that what happens when a user account is deleted? Yes.
    • Cosimo - prefers that people can remove their account rather than deleting posts. Didier agrees with this. Allan is personally in favour but doesn't know what the legal requirements are.
    • ACTION: Carlos to offer to delete the account and anonymise the posts in the process.
  • Permission for Rosanna to fly to and attend GUADEC (Nuritzi)
    • VOTE: approve Rosanna's travel to GUADEC 2018
      • +1 unanimous
  • GUADEC 2019 (Allan)

    • The call for bids was announced a while ago, and we haven't received any bids.
    • If the Foundation provided better support, people might be more willing to hold GUADEC. This is something we should look into.
    • Can we return to a previous venue?
    • Can we partner with another organisation?
    • ACTIONS: do another mail out to foundation-list, go through the list in the issue

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20180522 (last edited 2018-05-23 11:18:06 by AllanDay)