Foundation Board Minutes for Tuesday, March 27th 2018, 18:00 UTC

Next meeting date Tuesday, April 3rd 2018, 18:00 UTC


  • Alexandre Franke
  • Meg Ford
  • Didier Roche
  • Cosimo Cecchi
  • Allan Day
  • Nuritzi Sanchez
  • Rosanna Yuen
  • Neil McGovern




  • Fractal Hackfest (Neil)
  • LibrePlanet update (Neil)

  • GNOME.Asia status update (Nuritzi)

Postponed until next week:


  • Fractal Hackfest (Neil)
    • Alexandre, who is one of the organisers, has emailed the board about this. The organisers want to pay in advance for shared accommodation, which the travel committee has said should be referred to the board.
    • Cosimo - would like some guidance from the TC regarding whether individuals quality for travel.
    • Meg - would like guidance from the TC on the amount of funding that's acceptable for each individual.
    • The hackfest would like a sponsored social event. This falls under the small events budget, so should be directed to the Engagement Team.
    • ACTION: Meg to email the TC to ask for the information we'd like, so the board can make a decision.
    • ACTION: Meg to reply to Alexandre's original email, in order to keep the organisers in the loop.
    • Alexandre: would like timlier responses to emails like this (it was sent 5 days ago).
  • LibrePlanet update (Neil)

    • Neil went to LibrePlanet last week.

    • Karen Sandler won the big individual contributor award
    • Participated in a "SpinachCon" user testing session on GNOME, which produced some interesting results. Neil will be feeding these back.

  • GNOME.Asia status update (Nuritzi)
    • The first meeting for GNOME.Asia 2018 happened today. There's a call for hosts. Max is making plans to hold it in Taiwan in August.
    • They're planning to ask us for $2k, plus travel, but they need to move quickly. This amount is very low.
    • Neil - the board shouldn't approve anythnig until we get the accounts from last year. He's been asking for these for months. Nuritzi - but each event does have different local organizers.
    • Allan - they should follow the standard conference policy in order to receive funding (

    • Question around the GNOME.Asia call for bids - should the GNOME.Asia coordinators be able to run the bidding process themselves?
      • Alexandre would like them to make an effort to participate in the wider GNOME community, and to include the GNOME community in the bidding process. For example, advertising the bidding process on the standard mailing lists, encouraging the community to comment on bids.
      • Allan - doesn't have a problem with events holding their own bidding processes. Board approval isn't final (so doesn't nullify the result of a bidding process) - a local team can improve their proposal and present it again.
      • Neil - doesn't mind who runs the bidding process, but it should be conducted in the open.
    • ACTION: Nuritzi to inform the local team of the board's requirements, and to ask that the bidding process be more open in the future.

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20180327 (last edited 2018-03-28 10:20:10 by AllanDay)