Foundation Board Minutes for Monday, August 2nd 2016, 17:00 UTC
Next meeting date Wednesday, August 10th, 12:00 (?) UTC (at GUADEC)
- Rosanna Yuen
- Cosimo Cecchi
- Alexandre Franke
- Meg Ford
- Allan Day
- Jeff F.T.
- Jim Hall
- Nuritzi Sanchez
- Ekaterina Gerasimova (outgoing)
- Andrea Veri (outgoing)
Agenda for 2016-08-02
- GNOME Summit 2016 in Montreal
- Finalise GUADEC meeting arrangements:
Details of the meeting venue are on the agenda page: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/GUADEC/2016/Agenda
Please add yourselves to https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/GUADEC/2016/arrivals-schedule
- Dinner on the 9th?
- Do we want to set up a Telegram group?
The following section is part of the Agenda and includes items which have seen updates in the last 30 days. Items which have been updated more than 30 days ago are listed under the "Ongoing but stalled" section.
- Information needed for bank account
- GNOME Board team building
- GUADEC Manchester bid
- Owncloud shared calendar for the board
- Annual report completion
This section includes items which have seen an update in the last 30 days. Format is "YYYY-MM-DD, action|discussion|abstract" for this and subsequent minutes sections
- Information needed for bank account (from the mailing list)
- 2016-07-05, ACTION: Rosanna to call the bank today and provide all the information they requested
- GNOME Board team building
- ACTION: Allan to open a wiki page with the GUADEC meeting agenda
- GUADEC Manchester bid
- The Board received a bid from Manchester for GUADEC 2017
- There's a document to review
- ACTION: Kat will collect and send comments once we have reviewed the document
- Action item still pending for Kat to collect/send feedback
- Alexandre takes over the action item from Kat
- Owncloud shared calendar for the board
- 2016-05-23, ACTION: Allan will try if it's functional enough for us to use it now
- 2016-06-06, Allan's tried it and reminders don't seem to work. Needs to follow up.
- 2016-06-20, Since it works for Andrea, but not for Allan, help would be welcome from someone else for testing.
- Annual report
- 2016-06-06: financial report is still missing, printing requires having an hard deadline set, ideally mid-week
- 2016-06-13: texts all gathered now, undergoing editing and layout
- 2016-06-20, Layout in progress, got some quotes from print shop. Will need budget soon, but should be cheaper than last year (should be around $300)
- 2016-07-05: budget approved, we're printing 100
- 2016-07-26: document was finalized and printed, 100 copies at 816 CAD ~= 620 USD at current exchange rates
Ongoing but stalled
This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days.
- ED search update
- 2015-12-01, No news received in recent weeks, mostly because of holidays
- 2015-12-08, 3 candidates are going to have a couple of one hour interviews with ~2 members of the hiring committee per interview. Scheduling of these metings is just beginning.
- 2015-12-15 to 2016-01-12, No updates.
- Committee has completed interview with two final candidates
- They should have a final answer/proposal to the board within a few weeks
- 2016-02-02, Expect more news this week - we'll start scheduling interviews soon
- Sri from the ED committee wants to present to the Board at next week's meeting
- A list of candidates that are deemed good and have been vetted by the committee will be presented at the meeting
- 2016-02-16, The ED Search committee converged on a single candidate
2016-02-23, The item has been discussed during the meeting, details are available at https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2016-February/msg00003.html
- 2016-03-14, Jonathan Blandford (jrb) has agreed to lead
- 2016-04-11, Jonathan mailed the Board mentioning the ED Search Committee is back on track, they'll start meeting on a regular basis again
- There was a question about whether we should revise the position/job description, but the Board did not come to a conclusion on this in previous discussion
- ACTION: Rosanna to tell Jonathan to go ahead with the job search
- Google Play account
- 2015-12-01, ACTION: Alexandre to follow up with the Release Team about this
- 2015-12-08, Alexandre mailed the Release Team today, still waiting for an answer.
- 2015-12-15 to 2016-01-19, No updates.
- 2016-02-02, Release team did not come to an agreement/conclusion. Unclear what next steps should be
- Status of logo copyright
- 2015-12-01, ACTION: Shaun to send out email to d-d-l with proposal
- 2015-12-08 to 2016-01-19, No updates.
- 2016-02-02, Shaun will try to pick it up this week
Meta-discussion on attracting new contributors - https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/attracting-contributors-discussion
- 2016-01-05, Item has been deferred.
- 2016-02-09, Allan and Jeff have a list of ideas, we could rank them by feasibility/effectiveness and take action on the first few
- Bitcoins donations data
- Conference sponsorships
- ACTION: Kat to adapt a contract from previous years' conference brochures
- ACTION: Jeff to chase the companies for a second time after the pages (where the status of whether/which companies have been contacted is listed) are up to date
- Friends of GNOME
- 2016-04-04, ACTION: Andrea to get in touch with Tobi about what he needs in order to migrate the Paypal scripts over to the GNOME Foundation Infrastructure
- 2016-04-04, ACTION: Shaun to investigate other possible solutions to mere Python scripts + Paypal API solution
2016-04-04, ACTION: Allan to investigate what information is needed to answer email@example.com queries, with a view to potentially turning off paypal notifications to that address.
2016-04-11: Allan has documented the result of conversations with Rosanna and Tobi here: https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/FriendsOfGNOME/FAQ . Next step is to discuss the privacy aspests.
- 2016-04-04, ACTION: Allan to get in touch with the Engagement team about all this as a first step,with a view to recruiting people to maintain Friends of GNOME and document how it operates.
- 2016-04-11, ACTION: Alexandre to request more information about the donation data from the European donations system (Wau Holland Stiftung Foundation)
- Selling 3rd party merch at confs
- 2016-04-11, There's a proposal (by Allan) to sell third party merchandise during GNOME events
- Google ad grant
- 2016-02-02, Alexandre to follow up with the procedure to get registered
- 2016-02-09 to 2016-02-23, No updates
2016-03-01, Shaun will ask his contacts about TechSoup as joining the organization is required for us to be recognized as a non-profit from Google
- 2016-04-11, Rosanna to provide Shaun the needed tax-related documentation (IRS Data check should be enough for Google to assign the grant if the non-profit is US based)
- GUADEC registration fee vs donation system
- 2016-05-02, ACTION: Alexandre to ask WHS about the fee
Ongoing but no director assigned
This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days and have no Director assigned
- Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks (last discussion from 2016-01-05)
- 2016-01-12, Awaiting for Andrea's reply
- Andrea replied back to Jeff
- Jeff to bring the item back during any of the upcoming meetings
- 2016-02-23, Jeff un-assigned the action item from himself, no current assignee
Nice to have
This section includes items which we would love to see happen at some point but lack the time to effectively become reality
- Web page for prior pants winners
- Shaun and Allan to do this
- Contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
- Kat to draft this
- Gifts situation
- Inventory management: some stuff we have heaps of, some we run out of stock quickly; consider an on-demand production service
- Christian to investigate
- Licensing of artwork and visual assets
- Engagement team doesn't always licence photos on gnome.org and soon. We need guidelines for them to follow.
- Allan and Sri to draft guidelines and discuss withthe Engagement Team
- Privacy campaign funds
Previous plan was for Kat to propose privacy bounty T&C/rules for review
- Cosimo to follow up with interested parties on how to spend the Privacy campaign funds
- GNOME logo use by podiatrist - possible trademark infringement
- Shaun to check the trademark details for the GNOME logo and update the licensing page on the website (obsolete)
- Money raised for defense against Groupon
- Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be sponsored with money raised for defence against Groupon
- Logo usage for t-shirts
- Allan to carry on with the process and follow up and have some general guidelines written down for future cases
- Standard code of conduct for GNOME annual events (so we don't have to reinvent the wheel each year)
- Cosimo to follow up in the upcoming meetings and prepare a version of the CoC to be finally considered final over all the GNOME yearly events
Current draft is at https://wiki.gnome.org/Foundation/Privacy
- Sysadmin Team's NDA should also be covered when dealing with this item
- Andrea to write up the policy
- gnome-software privacy issues
- Software sends information to third parties; could have legal implications for GNOME
- Allan to look at this
- Photography policy for GNOME conferences
- Cosimo to draft a proposal to discuss on foundation-list
Discussed on the mailing list