Minutes for Tuesday, November 17th, 2015, 20:00 UTC

Next meeting date Tuesday, November 24th, 2015, 20:00 UTC


  • Rosanna Yuen
  • Cosimo Cecchi
  • Alexandre Franke
  • Allan Day
  • Ekaterina Gerasimova
  • Andrea Veri
  • Shaun McCance

  • Jeff F. T.



Board meeting

  • West Coast Summit
    • Kat had a look at Sri's proposal, the proposed budget is higher than we expected
    • What is Sri actually requesting from the GNOME Foundation?
      • Permission to use the GNOME logo / trademark to promote the event as official
      • Sponsorship for the event
      • Rosanna's time to handle the burden of dealing with administrative tasks for the event
        • Rosanna acked she's fine with this happening
      • The idea is the conference should break even
      • There are some concerns on the sponsorship levels as they appear higher than the GUADEC ones
        • Is the event going to get the proper audience to bring in sponsors willing to promote the event with such values?
        • In addition no benefits are associated with the sponsorship levels
      • Alexandre to get back to Sri with the following concerns and help him addressing them and come back to the Board with a response
      • VOTE: Allow Sri to associate the GNOME Foundation with the LAS conference, to begin negotiating with sponsors, and agree to the GNOME Foundation acting as the charitable organization handling the funds
        • +1 unanimous
  • Assign new vice president
    • Self nominees
      • Jeff F. T
        • VOTE: +1 Kat, Andrea, Allan, Alexandre, Cosimo, Shaun. Jeff abstains
      • Allan Day
        • VOTE: +1 Cosimo, Alexandre, Jeff, Shaun. Andrea, Allan, Kat abstain.
    • Jeff F. T. is the new GNOME Foundation Vice President
  • Update on adboard meeting preparation
    • Meeting is going to be held tomorrow 18th of November at 18 UTC
    • Alexander Larsson is joining the call and will be presenting xdg-app
    • Cosimo was waiting for an additional reply from the Accessibility team, still not sure someone will be able to join the meeting on team's behalf
  • ED search update
    • Latest meeting was on friday
    • Phone interviews are starting soon, the ED search committee is selecting a final shortlist
  • SG's recommendation
    • He's not a Foundation Member yet
    • He participated to GSoC 2014 working on the Getting Things GNOME module
    • We received several endorsements from his mentors
    • We rarely recommended someone who wasn't a Foundation member before
    • Eventual recommendation letter should be very factual about what his contributions have been
    • ACTION: Rosanna will prepare a draft combining the recommendations
  • Google Play account
  • Instagram filters in GNOME
  • Open items:
    • GIMP reimbursements
    • Desktop Summit taxes
    • ED search
    • GUADEC
    • GNOME.Asia
    • Budget

Discussed on the mailing list

  • SG's recommendation item edits
    • After further verification the Board was made aware that SG is indeed a Foundation Member since 2014-10-07
    • A recommendation letter taking into account of both mentors' endorsements and SG's contributions has been drafted by the President and sent back to SG

Completed actions

  • Alexandre to get back to Sri asking whether he could prepare a budget report (similar to how GUADEC bids are managed) for the GNOME Libre Application Summit conference and forward it to the Board
  • Adboard meeting preparation
    • Kat to get in touch with Alexander Larsson
    • Cosimo to get in touch with GNOME's accessibility team about team's state of art
    • Shaun to send an e-mail to adboard list with a proposed date, time and agenda for the next advisory board meeting
  • Alexandre to reach out to Allan to communicate the new action item (GNOME artwork licensing standardization coordination) as it was firstly assigned to Sri

Pending action items

  • GNOME Logo licensing
    • Shaun to look over the current usage of the logo and how other free software projects do it, and come up with a proposal/report
    • Alexandre to get back to Sri with the concerns outlined on the LAS GNOME Bid agenda item helping him addressing them and coming back to the Board with a response
  • On re-assigning Christian and previous Board members action items
    • Allan and Sri to coordinate with the engagement team to better standardize the licensing of GNOME artwork
    • Cosimo to follow up with interested parties on how to spend the Privacy campaign funds
  • Jeff and Cosimo to handle the first review of sysadmin sponsorship brochure and any eventual improvement the sponsorship brochure
  • Kat and Rosanna to schedule a call with Marta to sort things out with the Desktop Summit taxes
  • Allan to take the sponsorship brochure forward, through the Engagement Team
  • Allan: Ubuntu GNOME agreement followup with Pam
  • Shaun: GNOME logo use by podiatrist
    • Podiatrist possible trademark infringement: Shaun to check the trademark details for the GNOME logo and update the licensing page on the website (obsolete)
  • Allan: Hellotux agreement
  • Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be sponsored with money raised for defence against Groupon
  • Logo usage for t-shirts: Jeff to carry on with the process and follow up and have some general guidelines written down for future cases
  • Allan to make a proposal for a different way to use the wiki/etherpad for action items, instead of using kanboard (done, but yet to be discussed by the board)
  • Create a webpage for prior pants winners (Shaun and Allan)
  • Cosimo to follow up in the upcoming meetings and prepare a version of the CoC to be finally considered final over all the GNOME yearly events
  • Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
  • Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
  • Kat to propose privacy bounty T&C/rules for review

  • Andrea to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
  • Allan will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
  • Cosimo to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
  • Christian to investigate the GNOME gifts situation

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20151117 (last edited 2015-11-29 14:42:55 by AndreaVeri)