Minutes for Tuesday, September 29th, 2015, 19:00 UTC

Next meeting date Tuesday, October 6th, 2015, 19:00UTC


  • Shaun McCance

  • Rosanna Yuen
  • Cosimo Cecchi
  • Christian Hergert
  • Allan Day
  • Jeff F. T.
  • Ekaterina Gerasimova


  • Andrea Veri


Board meeting

  • COLA increase paperwork for Rosanna
    • Missing some paperwork from Shaun still
  • Funding Outreachy internships
    • Request to find one outreachy internship for $6.5k
    • Last year we gave $5.5k for one internship. This year would be $5.5k for the internship, $500 for travel and $500 for conservancy
    • We budgeted about that much for outreach
    • Marina is also asking whether she can ask other companies sponsorship for that very same or other GNOME slots on behalf of the foundation
      • Board unanimously agrees Marina should reach to those companies to ask for sponsorship
    • VOTE: commit to spend $6.5k on one internship via Outreachy, and ask if we can handle the $500 for the travel sponsorship instead of Outreachy handling it
      • +1 Shaun, Jeff, Allan, Christian, Kat, Cosimo
      • VOTE passed
    • ACTION: Kat to reply to Marina
  • Rolling agenda
  • GUADEC debrief
  • Action items:
    • Trademark renewal (Kat)
      • Still ongoing
    • Ubuntu GNOME agreement follwup with Pam (Allan)
      • More movement today; there's a draft of a reply that Allan wants feedback on
    • HELLOTUX (Allan)
      • Ready to be sent. We got materials back from Pam and can be actioned
    • GNOME logo use by podiatrist (Shaun)
      • No progress
    • Logo usage for tshirts (Jeff)
      • No progress
    • Trademark-infringing swag (Cosimo)
      • Items were taken down, need to follow up if we want a trademark agreement
    • Freedesktop hackfests with Groupon money (Kat)
    • Privacy funds hackfest (Sri, Christian)
      • ACTION: Shaun to invite Sri to a future meeting to explain what he's thinking
    • ilovewhatido.eu (Allan)
      • Need to follow up
  • Open items:
    • GUADEC 2016
    • Annual report
      • Done, need to send out to the website
      • Need to print copies and ship them out
        • Open question how to do that
      • Need list of people that need the report. Which ones require personalized letters?
      • Could use last year's report to evaluate how much it would be to ship it
      • ACTION (ongoing): Jeff to gather this data
    • ED search
    • Google Play account

Discussed on the mailing list

  • ilovewhatido.eu
    • The people behind the ilovewhatido.eu store asked for permission to design, manufacture and sell GNOME-branded products through their online store
    • They intend to donate some of the profits back to the GNOME Foundation
    • The Board is going to evaluate the case and get back to them
  • Alexandru Cojocaru is asking for permission to manufacture GNOME-branded t-shirts for the zazzle.com/freesoftwarelove shop
    • The Board is going to evaluate the case and get back to him

Completed actions

  • Kat to write to Pam and ask to proceed with renewal
  • Kat to communicate travel budget allocation to Travel committee
  • Communicating position on regional domain names (Kat, Cosimo)

Pending action items

  • Allan will follow up with Pam with the result of further discussion about the Ubuntu GNOME logo (include GNOME Shell + Control Center in the agreement with an option for the Board to review)
  • Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be sponsored with money raised for defence against Groupon
  • Christian to reach out to the ED Search committee and get some updates
  • Cosimo to ask Karen about the trademark-infringing mousepads and report his findings to the mailing list
  • Logo usage for t-shirts: Jeff to carry on with the process and follow up and have some general guidelines written down for future cases
  • Podiatrist possible trademark infringement: Shaun to check the trademark details for the GNOME logo and update the licensing page on the website
  • Allan to make a proposal for a different way to use the wiki/etherpad for action items, instead of using kanboard
  • Jeff to get advisory board contact details from Karen. If this fails, we need to start developing our own contacts and record them on the wiki.
  • Create a webpage for prior pants winners (Shaun and Allan)
  • Advisory Board meeting at GUADEC: Jeff to contact advisory board members by phone about joining the call on the 4th
  • Allan to follow up with Oliver Propst on Anual Report
  • Trademark-infringing swag (mousepads): Cosimo to follow up about possible future actions and send a proposal to the board
  • Cosimo to follow up in the upcoming meetings and prepare a version of the CoC to be finally considered final over all the GNOME yearly events
  • Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
  • Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
  • Kat to propose privacy bounty T&C/rules for review

  • Andrea to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
  • Allan will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
  • Cosimo to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
  • Christian to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
  • Sri to coordinate with engagement team to better standardize the licensing of GNOME artwork
  • Jeff to find existing fundraising brochure/proposal documents and come up with one for fundraising for a sysadmin

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20150929 (last edited 2015-10-06 18:10:00 by EkaterinaGerasimova)