Minutes for Friday, September 26th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

Next meeting is on Friday, October 10th, 2014, at 16:00 UTC


  • Ekaterina Gerasimova
  • Rosanna Yuen
  • Marina Zhurakhinskaya
  • Jeff Fortin
  • Karen Sandler
  • Tobias Mueller
  • Andrea Veri


  • Sriram Ramkrishna


Board meeting

  • Groupon
  • Bountysource account for the Foundation
    • Created; claiming of bounties in process, need to use personal account to receive bounty in order to repost it to GNOME team
  • Boston summit travel sponsorship
    • Are we going to provide travel sponsorship for the Boston Summit? How many people are going to request sponsorship for the event as the Boston Summit is known to be a little event in terms of participants?
    • Kat proposed to let possible participants query the Travel Committee for travel sponsorship in case they intend to participate to the event. This to happen as soon as possible given Boston Summit is due within a few weeks.
    • Most of the requests for sponsorship are usually sent from European contributors and rarely from US-based contributors.
    • Financial situation hypothesis for the upcoming months to promote additional event travel sponsorship requests.
    • Should we offer some other sort of sponsorship instead of travel?
    • We're not really in a financial position to offer travel sponsorship for this event this year; Marina to reach out to the usual suspects (RH, SuSE, Google, etc.) to get some sponsorship for breakfast, coffee, etc.
  • Strategic projects in OPW
    • Marina's latest proposed wording, up for a quick "common sense" vote/check: "The OPW coordinators for GNOME (currently, Marina and Karen) can limit projects available in OPW in any way they deem suitable. For example, they can engage a cross-team triage committee to select only or predominantly projects that are most strategic for GNOME."
    • Consensus that no vote needed
  • Extending the period for June-September 2013 interns travel reimbursement
    • Kat points out extending the period for OPW travel reimbursements is going to freeze amounts for too long
    • Consensus that no vote needed, this can work with the existing agreement of GNOME to run OPW
  • Timeline/ETA for hiring a new Executive Director
    • Not financially feasable in the immediate future
    • The process can take a long time (for example, it can take 6 months)
    • Would be healthy for the Foundation to have one
    • Karen says we should "start looking" ASAP, the process normally takes a very long time (ex: 6 months). Zana points out that there were multiple rounds of candidates last time.
    • Question of what the impact of an ED is to GNOME, ex: how much it makes a difference to adboard members in their willingness to sponsor
      • An ED really helps to keep contacts with organizations active
    • Globally: no particular timeline/ETA, just that we need to start looking into the process as soon as possible.

Discussed on the mailing list

  • Treasurer's August financial update
    • Not much change to cash
    • GUADEC broke even
    • Not expecting to issue any new invoices before January 2015
  • Boston Summit
  • GUADEC sponsorship brochure for 2015
    • Prepare the GUADEC 2015 brochure to be out within October / November
    • Review the existing template for possible changes / improvements
  • OPW: Extending the period for June-September 2013 interns travel reimbursement
    • Extend the travel reimbursement period till October 15, 2015
    • Marina was not able to send the announcement about this for this round in time as she was waiting for sponsors to provide her their travel allowance details
    • After the eligibility period move the funds to the OPW general funds (further travel reimbursements approvals has to be approved by the OPW organizers + Board)
    • Discussion and voting on the mailing list
    • Resolved in the meeting
  • Sponsorship for one OPW intern with GNOME
    • Should the GNOME Foundation sponsor an intern for the upcoming round?
    • VOTE: +1 Marina, Karen, Jeff, Tobi; -1 Kat
  • Encouraging strategic projects in OPW
    • Limit projects applicants can apply for to strategic ones for the GNOME project
    • Create a Triage Team that will work on providing a list of strategic projects for each round

Completed Actions

Pending action items

  • Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts holders and passwords
    • Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for security reasons
  • Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
  • Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
  • Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
  • Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
  • Karen to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
  • Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
  • Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts over to the GNOME infrastructure

  • Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
  • Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West Coast hackfest
  • Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for the hiring committee for the ED role
  • Sri to investigate the GNOME gifts situation

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140926 (last edited 2014-10-05 20:30:23 by AndreaVeri)