Minutes for Wednesday, July 30th, 2014, 10:00 UTC

Next meeting

  • Friday, August 15th, 2014, 16:00 UTC


  • Ekaterina Gerasimova
  • Rosanna Yuen
  • Marina Zhurakhinskaya
  • Jeff Fortin
  • Sriram Ramkrishna
  • Tobias Mueller
  • Andrea Veri
  • Karen Sandler



Board Meeting Agenda

  • Job opportunities perks discussion for adboard members
    • Post job opportunities coming from adboard members on social networks (on mission, GNOME related jobs with strong free software component)
    • Discuss job opportunities on engagement-private
  • Rosanna's title:
    • In the absence of an Executive Director, there are documents that need to be signed on behalf of the organization for which it is inconvenient to have a board member sign. For example, at least one of those forms require the signatory to be a US person.
    • In order to have the ability to respond quickly when there's a need for the foundation, it makes sense for Rosanna as a longtime employee to have signing authority, which requires a specific title (ex: CFO? Director of Operations?) in the eyes of US authorities.
    • Accordingly the board appointed Rosanna as Director of Operations. She will submit a draft job description and will have bi-annual reviews
    • ACTION: Rosanna to write a job description for the Board to review before her new position to become effective
  • Brand use requests
  • OPW - next round and beyond
    • The OPW organizers (Marina and Karen) want the program to grow
    • Should we still keep the OPW program financially bound to the GNOME Foundation? Should OPW stay with the GNOME Foundation?
    • Can there be a legal structure to allow OPW some autonomy?
    • Does the GNOME Foundation and directors ideologically support OPW?
      • What does ideologically supporting the OPW mean?
        • It means supporting initiatives that encourage and support women's participation in free software, including paid internships, a women's dinner, and code of conduct.
        • (as clarified later via e-mail) This question was just about ideological support - something that would extend to GNOME participating in OPW if it's run by another organization or the GNOME Foundation running OPW if it's just GNOME internships (as it started out). Whether the GNOME Foundation should consider it a part of its mission to run OPW, which includes multiple organizations and whether the GNOME Foundation should be running OPW as it grows from the practical point of view are separate questions.
      • Opinion asserted that it is possible to support the OPW while not supporting the way that it is implemented
    • Upon consulting with Rosanna, there is a general consensus that the GNOME Foundation can administer the program for the next round
    • Renaming the program as it grows beyond OPW?
      • The goal for the next round is to be a pilot for accepting people from other underrepresented backgrounds by being open to the graduates of Mozilla's Project Ascend, which is for underprivileged people in the US
      • The goal for future rounds would be to be open to people of color in US and Europe, and later to underrepresented people geographically
      • VOTE: should the GNOME Foundation expand OPW such that graduates of Mozilla's Project Ascend that are otherwise qualified for participation in GNOME's program (without the requirements regarding gender) be eligible to apply as a pilot for including other minorities in the diversity program
        • +1 Kat, Jeff, Andrea, Marina, Karen, Sri; -1 Tobias
    • Should OPW organizers have the authority to sign certain types of contracts with more limited Board's approval? (discussion and vote on the mailing list)
    • Karen and Marina indicated that they will explore alternative options for OPW's administrative home.
  • Groupon

Discussed on the mailing list

  • GNOME and GitCafe cooperation

    • Setting up a mirror of git.gnome.org as a first step
    • Brainstorm for more ideas to improve our cooperation
  • GNOME PERU FEST 2014 reimbursement

Completed Actions

  • Jeff to send the agenda to the adboard
  • Marina checked with engagement team about re-sharing GNOME-related job offers from adboard members

Pending action items

  • Andrea to improve board's docs about what a Board member should know before participating to board's decisions and discussions
  • Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
  • Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
  • Andreas to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
  • Andreas to ask Karen and Pam how much we should disclose to the community about the ongoing discussion with Groupon
  • Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
  • Jeff to lead the efforts with parties that are interested in sponsorship to prepare a new text hopefully for the next meeting
  • Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
  • Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy for GNOME events
  • Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts holders and passwords
    • Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for security reasons
  • Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
  • Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
  • Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
  • Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
  • Marina will work with Jeff to shuffle around some paragraphs in the travel sponsorship policy to make it more clear
  • Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
  • Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts over to the GNOME infrastructure

  • Tobi will mention that we pay for lwn codes when sending the offer to donors
  • Tobi will implement that "no gift" on the FoG page also means no LWN subscription
  • Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
  • Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West Coast hackfest
  • Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for the hiring committee for the ED role
  • Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)
  • Zana to look into brand usecontracts that she has on paper and scan them

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140730 (last edited 2014-08-12 17:54:40 by AndreaVeri)