Minutes for , September 3rd, 2013, 16:00 UTC
- Tuesday, September 17th, 2013, 16:00 UTC
- Rosanna Yuen
- Joanmarie Diggs
- Karen Sandler
- Ekaterina Gerasimova
- Marina Zhurakhinskaya
- Emmanuele Bassi
- Tobias Mueller
- Andreas Nilsson
- Sriram Ramkrishna
Board Meeting Agenda
- Implement a Foundation employee policy for COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment)
- At the face to face board meeting we discussed having employee salaries increase when inflation increases, as other comparable nonprofits do.
- Andreas hasn't emailed the board-only yet
- We're missing two members of the board, so we should defer to the next meeting
- Adopting a photography policy for GNOME events.
- Joanie suggested it at GUADEC and on board-list that we adopt a photography policy for bigger GNOME events.
- The Ada Initiative has a photography policy for their Ada Camps
- Having a proper policy would allow a tool for people to clearly opt in or out from being photographed at our conferences
- Using badges or lanyards removes the awkwardness of asking for photographs
- Do we actually need a policy if use badges/lanyards?
- How can we enforce the policy?
- Should be part of the Code of Conduct
- Should be enforced by the local conference team
- Should this be part of a larger discussion on the code of conduct?
- We could also have a trial run at Montreal
ACTION: Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
- Scheduling an IRC Foundation meeting
At the Board Q&A the board promised to do a Foundation IRC meeting.
Joanie took a action item to talk to the release team first. https://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2013-August/msg00060.html
- No reply
- We are in the final days of the 3.10 cycle
- Release, documentation, i18n, and marketing/engagement teams will be pretty busy getting 3.10 out of the door
- Postpone after 3.10
ACTION: Joanie will ping the Release Team again for the Foundation IRC meeting after the 3.10 release is completed
- Needs an agenda and a date.
- Collecting funds in Europe update
- Ball is back in our court
- We need to provide documentation and receipts
ACTION: Karen and Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
- Sysadmin update
- Karen asked Andrea to blog some more
- Andrea created a website for the infrastructure status
- also, a mailing list for infrastructure work
- possible trademark violation to assess.
- Another software project is using the name GNOME
- Karen is in contact with our law firm. Needs an update.
- No response yet
- Montreal Summit update
- no new update
- Travel Committee, Delegation, Budgets, etc.
- Will be added to the Travel committee work session
- Spam for board-related lists
- Andrea suggested that the only way to reduce spam is to moderate the list
- Added new rules
Discussed on the mailing list
- Cease calling the Github mirror "official".
- +1 from Kat, Joanie, Tobias and Sriram
- -1 from Emmanuele, Andreas
- Missing a vote from Marina, since she was away on vacation.
VOTE: Ask Alberto and Andrea to remove the "official" from the GitHub GNOME mirror: passed: aye:4, nay:2, absent:1.
- Emmanuele wanted to add to the minutes that he "appreciates and applauds the outreach effort of Alberto and Andrea, especially in the face of apathy from a community that wants results without committing resources, and that is ready to criticise anybody who actually puts time and effort into making our code and projects accessible to more people, in the spirit of the license we use and the goals we profess to have."
- Others on the board was thankful to the efforts of Alberto and Andrea, but felt the usage of the word Official was not a proper fit for the use.
- The board asked Andrea if it would be possible to set up a Gitorious mirror similar to the Github one. The answer is that it is possible if someone have to write a hook, communicate with the Gitorious administrators to make sure there is enough space and other tasks that might come up in the process. After that is done, Andrea can enable the hook on git.gnome.org
ACTION: Karen to ask on foundation-list if somebody wants to work with Gitorious.org to create a GNOME mirror there
- Alberto removed the "Official" from the mirror
Karen will send and email to foundation-list for questions for the board Q&A at GUADEC - there will be a foundations IRC meeting
- Joanie, Kat, Tobi, Rosanna, Karen will hold a work group at GUADEC about the travel committee process
- Kat to check with Andrea how to improve the spam filters of the board-related list archives
Pending action items
- Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
- Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
- Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that want a postcard
- Joanie and Kat to draft a new travel assistance form to replace the current one (Kat, Joanie and Zana to discuss and come up with a solution)
- Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
- Joanie will ping the Release Team again for the Foundation IRC meeting after the 3.10 release is completed
- Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts holders and passwords
- Karen to carry on the discussion to explore the offer from Wau-Holland-Stiftun for collecting funds in Europe for us
- Karen to contact Tor, EFF, OTI for feedback and eventual funding for privacy work
- Karen to "call for ideas" for privacy work related bids at GUADEC and by blog/email to foundation-announce
- Karen to ask on foundation-list if somebody wants to work with Gitorious.org to create a GNOME mirror there
- Karen and Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
- Sri to investigate better uses of adwords on the GNOME websites
Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts over to the GNOME infrastructure