Minutes for Meeting of July 9th, 2013, 16:00 UTC

Next Meeting

  • Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 @ GUADEC

Attending

  • Rosanna Yuen
  • Andreas Nilsson
  • Joanmarie Diggs
  • Tobias Mueller
  • Karen Sandler
  • Shaun McCance

  • Ekaterina Gerasimova
  • Marina Zhurakhinskaya
  • Sriram Ramkrishna
  • Emmanuele Bassi
  • Bastien Nocera

Missing

  • Seif Lotfy

Board Meeting Agenda

  • GUADEC 2013
    • Update on GUADEC 2013
      • We are currently slightly in the red for the event
      • But everything is getting into its place
      • We're missing a fourth keynote
        • All teams are going to be pretty busy for giving out a keynote
        • A proposal is to have the Board do a panel
        • Possibly after the AGM so we can incorporate feedback from the AGM
          • In 2012 we didn't have time for feedback during the AGM
          • The AGM is also used for the team reports
          • We should prepare some slides and notes
          • ACTION: Andreas to prepare some slides and notes for a board panel at GUADEC

      • Karen is going to send to Joanie details for networking events at GUADEC
      • Board and Adboard meetings at GUADEC
        • Board meeting: July 31, 10am until we drop from exhaustion
        • Adboard meeting: August 5, 10am to 6pm
        • ACTION: Karen to send to adboard-list the date and time for the advisory board meeting

        • Should we invite Katie from Zareason to attend the adboard meeting?
          • She could take about what is she looking for from GNOME
          • Facilitate discussion with our adboard members
          • ACTION: Karen to propose to Katie from Zareason to join the adboard meeting

  • Call for GUADEC 2015 bids
    • Call for bids is ready to go live
    • ACTION: Karen to publish the call for bids for GUADEC 2015

  • Montreal Summit
    • We have a confirmed venue: Savoire-Faire offices in Montreal
    • We should announce the summit soon
  • Hardware donation announcement.
    • The GNOME Foundation recieved hardware donations in the form of 6 Chromebooks from Intel and a individual donor.
      • We have a whole set of press releases, so if we announce it now it would get lost
  • Annual Report update
    • ACTION: Andreas to contact the GUADEC local team to check if we can print the annual report in Brno

    • How many copies should we print?
      • Not many took a copy in 2012
      • But we only had only two at the AGM
      • ~30 copies could be a good number
      • Depends on how many copies we can distribute and/or take back with us
      • Continue the discussion on the mailing list
  • Travel Committee, Delegation, Budgets, etc.
    • We should use the Montreal summit as a testbed for the changes in the travel committee policies
  • Collecting funds in Europe update
    • Tobi and Karen need to draft a potential deal to propose
  • Sysadmin and CiviCRM update
    • CiviCRM to be discussed at the board meeting at GUADEC
  • Possible trademark violation to assess.
    • Another software project is using the name GNOME
    • http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/7/prweb10889727.htm

    • The software is from an academic institution
    • It's a software of general interest
    • It could be a trademark violation
    • We don't want to be aggressive with it
    • But we may have to send a letter to protect the trademark against abuse in the future
    • VOTE: Should Karen draft and send a letter for the GNOME trademark violation: unanimous

    • ACTION: Karen to draft and send a letter to inform the Stevens Institute of Technology of the GNOME trademark violation

Discussed on the mailing list

  • GNOME bugzilla is being harvested by google groups
    • a user is forwarding all bugmail to a Google group
  • draft call for GUADEC 2015 bids
  • OPW contracts
  • Sending merchanice for the openSUSE Conference for a community volunteer to sell.

Completed Actions

  • Kat will take a picture of a donated laptop
  • Karen will publish the announcement of the donated hardware

New Action Items

  • Andreas to prepare some slides and notes for a board panel at GUADEC
  • Karen to send to adboard-list the date and time for the advisory board meeting
  • Karen to propose to Katie from Zareason to join the adboard meeting
  • Andreas to contact the GUADEC local team to check if we can print the annual report in Brno
  • Karen to draft and send a letter to inform the Stevens Institute of Technology of the GNOME trademark violation

Status of action items

  • All directors should discuss the first-response contact for emails
  • All directors should continue discussing the a11y team proposal on the mailing list for the Accessibility FoG project
  • Andreas - To create a wiki page on the web services accounts holders.
  • Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
  • Bastien will research what the status of the Banshee Amazon revenue is and report back to Bertrand Lorentz
  • Emmanuele - Will audit the current donors and check that everybody received their benefits.
  • Emmanuele to start a wiki page on the community feedback of GUADEC 2012
  • Emmanuele to send Zana the list of FoG donors that want a gift from the Foundation
  • Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that want a postcard
  • Joanie to draft a new travel assistance form to replace the current one
  • Karen - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
  • Karen - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James Vasile, etc.
  • Karen - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
  • Karen - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
  • Karen to explore founding options for the GNOME Foundation to be a member of the W3C
  • Karen to explore funding options for a marketing director
  • Karen - to make LWN integration with CiviCRM one of the requirements for the contracted project
  • Karen to carry on the discussion to explore the offer from Wau-Holland-Stiftun for collecting funds in Europe for us.
  • Karen to coordinate with Robert and Florian to make sure that the right person send the letter of invitation to those who need it for VISAs to GUADEC.
  • Karen and Tobias to write a Memorandum Of Understanding for collecting fund in Europe.
  • Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash.

  • Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card.
  • Rosanna - Received the PO from Google for the GSOC payments; waiting for individual mentor travel receipts to submit invoice.
  • Rosanna - Look at the actual amount of money allocated for the sysadmin that we can still use
  • Seif to send an email on board-list to start the discussion on the areas of involvement for each board member
  • Seif to contact Collabora to ask if they can help with securing a venue in Montre├íl for the summit

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20130709 (last edited 2013-07-23 09:39:57 by EmmanueleBassi)