Minutes for Meeting of June 11th, 2013, 15:00 UTC

Next Meeting

  • Tuesday, June 25th, 2013, 15:00 UTC

Attending

  • Emmanuele Bassi
  • Rosanna Yuen
  • Bastien Nocera
  • Andreas Nilsson
  • Joanmarie Diggs
  • Tobias Mueller
  • Seif Lotfy (late)
  • Karen Sandler

Regrets

  • Shaun McCance (leave early)

Board Meeting Agenda

  • GUADEC 2013
    • Update on GUADEC 2013
      • Canonical is joining as silver sponsors
      • Intel declined, but they are still interested in sponsoring GNOME
    • GUADEC Travel Budget
      • Last meeting we allocated 30,000 EUR in travel for GUADEC. Was this enough?
      • We have room in the budget for extensions
      • ACTION: Joanie, Karen to contact the travel committee if they need more funding

    • Board and Adboard meetings at GUADEC
      • Adboard members have raised issues for a meeting before the GUADEC start date!
      • New proposed date for the adboard meeting: August 5th
      • Board meeting would be on the 31st of July, instead of July 30th.
      • ACTION: Karen to notify the new board members that there could be a change in the board and adboard meeting dates

    • CfP for Birds of a Feather (BoF) sessions and Lightning Talks (LT) has been opened
    • We should open the bids process for GUADEC 2015
      • ACTION: Karen to draft the call for bids for GUADEC 2015

      • ACTION: Karen to schedule meeting with Strasbourg team during GUADEC

  • Montreal Summit
    • We are still on the lookout for a location. The local team have been in contact with several organizations and things look bright.
    • Ryan contacted the Canonical office manager, but has received no reply yet
    • The local team has been scouting for a location
  • Travel report of GNOME.Asia and LinuxCon Japan from Karen

  • Permission to use GNOME in short film.
    • Stephen van Vuuren e-mailed the board and asked for permission to use GNOME as a prop in a short film.
    • It's not a copyright issue, more of a trademark one since copyrights are freely licensed
    • Unless it's disparaging GNOME, usage should be granted through the the license we use
    • VOTE: Permission to use the GNOME trademark in a short film such that it is not disparaging to GNOME or its mark: +1 Seif, Andreas, Joanie, Bastien, Emmanuele, Tobi

    • ACTION: Karen to notify Stephen van Vuuren of the decisions to grant him the permission to use the GNOME trademark in his short film

  • Hardware donation announcement.
    • The GNOME Foundation recieved hardware donations in the form of 6 Chromebooks from Intel and a individual donor.
    • We should announce this on gnome.org and other appropriate channels.
    • Karen drafted a PR, it's now being reviewed by Intel's PR department
  • There is a draft news item for the a11y of documents bid from Igalia
  • OSTree questions from Colin Walters.
    • Colin sent a series of questions to board-list after the OSTree report during the adboard meeting
    • Is the gnome-ostree project an appropriate use of The GNOME brand?
    • GNOME server resources and administrator time?
    • Is gnome-ostree an official product of GNOME?
    • Licensing issues
    • ACTION: Karen to answer Colin's questions on the ostree usage of, and impact on, the GNOME branch

  • Annual Report update
    • Done
    • Andreas sent the draft to marketing-list for review
    • ACTION: Andreas to send the draft of the annual report to the board list for review

  • Accounting Software fundraiser for Free Software organizations.
    • We are waiting for the end of the fund raising campaign
  • Collecting funds in Europe update
    • Karen drafted a MOU and Tobi is reviewing that
  • Sysadmin and CiviCRM update
    • No new updates
    • ACTION: Karen to pick up the discussion from the last email exchange on CiviCRM

  • New board handover
    • A new board have been elected. How should the handover be handled?
    • New board is confirmed on June 18th
    • For the next meeting, June 25th, the new board members will be invited but won't be able to vote
    • After July 1st, the old board members will be invited to the meeting, but won't be able to vote
    • ACTION: Andreas to contact the new board members and invite them to the June 25th board meeting

Discussed on the mailing list

  • Etherpad status.
    • The Etherpad instance was acting weird during the last two meetings and Andrea have been looking into it.
  • Exception to renewals during elections.
  • Board meeting dates

Completed Actions

  • Andreas to contact the adboard members with the date of the meeting at GUADEC for feedback
  • Andreas to contact the local team for securing the venue for the board and adboard meetings at GUADEC
  • Andreas to contact Zeeshan to notify the travel sponsorship approval for the Maps hackfest
  • Andreas to contact Ryan to coordinate with the local volunteers for securing a venue in Montre├íl for the summit by August
  • Emmanuele to send an email reminding accepted speakers to confirm presence, and to contact the travel committee for sponsorship
  • Joanie to contact travel committee about the allocated budget for travel sponsorship

New Action Items

  • Andreas to send the draft of the annual report to the board list for review
  • Andreas to contact the new board members and invite them to the June 25th board meeting
  • Joanie, Karen to contact the travel committee if they need more funding
  • Karen to notify the new board members that there could be a change in the board and adboard meeting dates
  • Karen to pick up the discussion from the last email exchange on CiviCRM
  • Karen to answer Colin's questions on the ostree usage of, and impact on, the GNOME branch
  • Karen to notify Stephen van Vuuren of the decisions to grant him the permission to use the GNOME trademark in his short film
  • Karen to draft the call for bids for GUADEC 2015
  • Karen to schedule meeting with Strasbourg team during GUADEC

Status of action items

  • All directors should discuss the first-response contact for emails
  • All directors should continue discussing the a11y team proposal on the mailing list for the Accessibility FoG project
  • Andreas - To create a wiki page on the web services accounts holders.
  • Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
  • Bastien will research what the status of the Banshee Amazon revenue is and report back to Bertrand Lorentz
  • Emmanuele - Will audit the current donors and check that everybody received their benefits.
  • Emmanuele to start a wiki page on the community feedback of GUADEC 2012
  • Emmanuele to send Zana the list of FoG donors that want a gift from the Foundation
  • Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that want a postcard
  • Joanie to draft a new travel assistance form to replace the current one
  • Karen - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
  • Karen - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James Vasile, etc.
  • Karen - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
  • Karen - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
  • Karen to explore founding options for the GNOME Foundation to be a member of the W3C
  • Karen to explore funding options for a marketing director
  • Karen - to make LWN integration with CiviCRM one of the requirements for the contracted project
  • Karen to carry on the discussion to explore the offer from Wau-Holland-Stiftun for collecting funds in Europe for us.
  • Karen to coordinate with Robert and Florian to make sure that the right person send the letter of invitation to those who need it for VISAs to GUADEC.
  • Karen and Tobias to write a Memorandum Of Understanding for collecting fund in Europe.
  • Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash.

  • Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card.
  • Rosanna - Received the PO from Google for the GSOC payments; waiting for individual mentor travel receipts to submit invoice.
  • Rosanna - Look at the actual amount of money allocated for the sysadmin that we can still use
  • Seif to send an email on board-list to start the discussion on the areas of involvement for each board member
  • Seif to contact Collabora to ask if they can help with securing a venue in Montre├íl for the summit
  • Shaun to look at the budget for an extra allocation for the travel committee

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20130611 (last edited 2013-07-23 09:17:24 by EmmanueleBassi)