Minutes for Meeting of May 29, 2012
- June 12, 2012
- Bastien Nocera
- Emmanuele Bassi
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Karen Sandler
- Rosanna Yuen
- Ryan Lortie
- Stormy Peters
- Brian Cameron
Board Meeting Agenda
- Discussing what to do about ACL on Wiki for old board members.
- Germán and Brian both responded that Karen's suggested draft was reasonable.
- Karen needed confirmation on various email addresses.
ACTION: Karen - Will send out the email about updating Wiki ACL to the old board members before the end of the day.
- Foundation's 990 Form
- The Foundation's 990 form has been filed.
- If there are changes, an amendment can be filed as well.
ACTION: Karen - To email accountant to ask for clarification on numbers on the Foundation 990 Form.
- Vbuzzer is expiring
- Voice mailbox
- It has been renewed by Rosanna.
- Discussing what to do about ACL on Wiki for old board members.
- List of candidates opened May 7th and candidates stepped forward on the 23rd. Voting started on the 27th and ends on June 10th.
ACTION: Germán - To email membership committee to raise the concern that emails coming from the Membership Committee are being sent by a candidate.
- Financial and Annual Report
- We have now passed the Annual Report deadline.
- Still missing the 2010 and 2011 financial sections.
- ED and Board sections are in the review process.
- GUADEC 2012
- Need to plan board and advisory board meetings @ GUADEC 2012.
- 24th: board meeting.
- 25th: advisory board meeting.
- The board should contact all the current candidates, to ensure that they can make it in time for the meetings in case they are elected.
ACTION: Karen - To contact the GUADEC local team for confirmation of the location for the meetings.
ACTION: Karen - To contact the candidates to the board election to notify them of the meetings dates.
- Boston/Montréal Summit 2012
- What shall we do in 2012?
Montréal: venue from last year is not available, but a new one should be available: http://www.etsmtl.ca/.
- What is the status of Boston?
- Venue in Boston has already been locked by Karen.
ACTION: Karen - To contact Colin Walters for further information about planning for a Boston Summit.
- Main decision factors:
- Local community/willingness to host
- Montréal seems to be more feasible at this time, but the venue is still pending.
- 12 people requested sponsorship, 9 of them Foundation members.
- Travel sponsorship requested: $9,493.
- Accommodation estimated: $4,200 ($75 night/person).
- Pre-GUADEC UX Hackfest.
- Wiki page has been set up, attendees have been notified.
- Travel arrangements?
- Attendees are already going to GUADEC, this should keep the costs down.
- Wayland Hackfest - update?
- Got potential attendees - needs a wiki page to be set up.
- No definite date yet.
- Location: US West Coast, at Google's.
ACTION: Emmanuele - Will set up a wiki page for the Wayland Hackfest.
- GUADEC 2012
- GSoC intern(s) asking extra funds to Google
- How could this affect the GUADEC sponsorship level?
- Unlikely that it would.
ACTION: German and Karen - To contact Google (Cat Allman and Carol ?) about sponsorship of GSoC students with SoC budget.
ACTION: Germán - Let GSoC admins know the results.
- Last minute issues with GUADEC funding
- Lack of communication is slightly worrying.
- Karen will have a call with Canonical on Wednesday.
- Google has already confirmed sponsorship.
- Sponsorship levels were a bit late for GUADEC 2012, compared with the past.
ACTION: Karen - To contact sponsors for confirmation about GUADEC sponsorship.
- Mozilla accessibility funding
- Allocation of funds after the cancellation of the Emergya contract.
- Joanie (for the A11Y team) suggested an assessment of the Thunderbird email client
- Facebook Integration Requirements
- Waiting for a reply from the SFLC
- Friends of GNOME a11y Campaign
- This week: $16,381
- 2 weeks ago: $15,893 - $4,107 to go!
- 4 weeks ago: $15,297 - $4,803 to go!
- 6 weeks ago: $14,605 - $5,395 to go!
- 8 weeks ago: $12,760 - $7,240 to go!
- 10 weeks ago: $10,631 - $9,369 to go!
- 12 weeks ago: $ 9,019 - $10,810 to go!
- 14 weeks ago: $ 6,700 - $13,300 to go!
- By-law Update
- Need to update the by-laws so they more accurately reflect how the board works and to address comments from Tobias Mueller.
- At the last meeting there was talk about trying to get an update ready for the AGM meeting to ask the membership to vote on and approve.
- Karen, did we respond to Tobias?
- Karen contacted Tobias; he agrees about having a discussion at the AGM.
ACTION: Karen and Tobias - To draft a proposal for an update of the by-laws at the AGM.
- nixstickers pinged us about whether they can use the GNOME logo on their sticker.
- Discussion on marketing-list.
- The use of the logo is going to be likely approved, with the caveat of getting the (tm) added to the logo on the stickers.
Status of action items
- Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
- Bastien - Reach out to the GNOME Advisory Board via email to see if they can help out with providing contacts at Yahoo.
- Bastien - To look into the toll-free US number for the conference call.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- This has been done. Will close once the Foundation website is updated, refer to bug #644932.
- Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them. Taken over from Jorge.
- Brian - Will take over organizing the GNOME Foundation IRC meetings.
- Emmanuele - To gather names and information for a Wayland hackfest.
- Germán - Will continue the discussion with Frédéric about the Gitorious instance on gnome.org. Touched based with Frédéric on Sep 30, we will elaborate more on his proposal once he has more time.
Germán - To inform the local GUADEC 2010 organization the decision to make final payment to cover remaining costs. Touched based with Reinount and Vincent. There was a misunderstanding with respect to Koen & Sanne working hours, we need to discuss it again. Everything is fine.
- Germán - To let Julita know that the expense for the GNOME 3.4 party in Peru has been approved.
- Karen - Will follow up with CiviCRM contract.
- After some tracking down of the status of the communications, cedwards sent email to get discussions with Claudian moving again., now following up with EFF to see if they can help.
Karen - Will follow up with LojaGeek.
- Emailed, so far no response, Isabel offered to help.
- Karen - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
Karen - To contact GIMP, GStreamer, and PiTiVi to outline the board's thoughts about earmarked fund raising.
- Karen - Follow up with getting Alan Day and Sumana Harihareswara to sign the Copyright Assessment from SFLC. Transferred from Brian.
- Karen - To continue working with Justin about renewing the old trademarks.
- Karen - Will put together a proposal on how we should update the bylaws to improve voting.
- Karen - Will reach out to Mozilla to find advice about negotiating partnerships.
- Karen - To collect and propose dates for board and advisory board meetings at GUADEC 2012.
Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash.
- Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card.
- Rosanna - To pay Baptiste Mille-Mathias for the stickers to bring at FOSDEM. - DONE
- Ryan - To help Alberto draft a public announcement regarding change in PGO editorial policy.
- Ryan - To talk to the release-team about the external dependencies process.
- Shaun - Will post the January 18th, 2012 IRC meeting minutes.
- Shaun - To contact Dave Neary and Ekaterina Gerasimova to get a list of attendees to get feedback for the summit.
- Shaun - To help out extracting the GNOME respondents of Describe FoundationBoard/Minutes/20111115 here.the Desktop Summit survey.
- Shaun - To contact the previous editors of the Annual Report to gather a better picture of how to move forward.
- Shaun - To coordinate with Germán to write a report for the Financials section of the Annual Report.
- Shaun - To start a discussion with Andrea about the Emeritus status.
- Shaun - To finish the Financial section of the Annual Report before the end of the week (week 20).
- Shaun - To review the Desktop Summit draft before the end of the week (week 20).
Shaun & Karen - To have a run-through over budget items.
Shaun & Karen - To review the Financial section of the Annual Report.
- Stormy - will send an email to GWOP interns to attend the Grace Hopper Conference.
Stormy - Take care of GnuCash automation. Taken over from Paul & Behdad.
- Stormy - to ask LWN if they can automate it with gnome.org addresses
- Stormy - To send an email to the GNOME.asia list for plans for next year.
- Stormy - To create a wiki page on the accounts holders.
New Action Items
- Emmanuele - Will set up a wiki page for the Wayland Hackfest.
- Germán - To email membership committee to raise the concern that emails coming from the Membership Committee are being sent by a candidate.
- Germán - Let GSoC admins know the results.
- German and Karen - To contact Google (Cat Allman and Carol ?) about sponsorship of GSoC students with SoC budget.
- Karen - Will send out the email about updating Wiki ACL to the old board members before the end of the day.
- Karen - To email accountant to ask for clarification on numbers on the Foundation 990 Form.
- Karen - To contact the GUADEC local team for confirmation of the location for the meetings.
- Karen - To contact the candidates to the board election to notify them of the meetings dates.
- Karen - To contact Colin Walters for further information about planning for a Boston Summit.
- Karen and Tobias - To draft a proposal for an update of the by-laws at the AGM.
Discussed on the mailing list
- GNOME.Asia planning
- Pre-GUADEC UX Hackfest planning
- GNOME 3.4 party Peru planning
- Working with Andrea Veri to define Emeritus status for past Foundation Members
- Form 990 preparation.
- Planning for upcoming GNOME Foundation elections.