Minutes for Meeting of December 13
- January 10, 2012
- Brian Cameron
- Emmanuele Bassi
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Karen Sandler
- Ryan Lortie
- Rosanna Yuen
- Stormy Peters
- Bastien Nocera
Board Meeting Agenda
- Shall we have a meeting on the 27th?
- In previous years the board has skipped meetings over holidays or slipped them a week when there is not much business to discuss.
- Voted for skipping: unanimous.
- Next meeting: January 10th, 2012.
- Justin Colannino let us know that the GNOME brand is now trademarked.
- How should we announce this?
ACTION: Brian to draft an announcement for foundation-list about the new trademark.
- We need to renew the older trademarks. What email address should we use?
Should we use email@example.com?
- Use legal-private?
- Use both board and legal-private.
- Should we proceed working with Justin?
ACTION: Brian to continue working with Justin about the old trademarks.
- Information on renewal should go on the wiki to act as a reminder.
- Desktop Summit
- Any last comments about the Desktop Summit planning email to the foundation-list before it is sent out?
- No further comment; Brian to send it to foundation-list
- Desktop Summit
- Christian Schaller asked if they can put their upcoming GStreamer hackfest information on the GNOME Hackfests website.
- +1 from Shaun, Emmanuele, Stormy, Bastien, and Brian, Ryan, Germán
- There was a request for more information about budgets, a tentative list of attendees as well as more detailed agenda. Especially if they are seeking any assistance with funding.
- We need to let Christian know.
- Karen replied to Christian
- Event Box
- Haikel Guemar requested €292 for GNOME Event Box expenses. Do we need more information? Is this in process?
- +1 from Brian, Stormy, Shaun, Emmanuele, Ryan, Germán
- Rosanna to process the reimbursment
- Emmanuele talked to Alberto Ruiz about a change in the PGO editorial policy, with regards to only including Foundation members in the PGO feed
- Alberto concurred that this change would make his life easier in determining the addition and removal policy
- This item has been in the "To be discussed if time" section for several months. Any update? Is this still relevant?
- Alberto Ruiz wants to just notify Planet bloggers and readers, establish a grace period, and then remove non-compliant feeds
ACTION: Ryan to help Alberto draft a public announcement regarding change in PGO editorial policy.
- Policy for GSoC and GWOP interns
- Membership application is suggested at the end of the internship.
- Have a grace period post-internship for presence on the Planet.
- GUADEC papers committee
- Process for gathering members of the papers committee has started.
- Suggestions are welcome.
- Executive Director Review
- Sent to board-list.
- Feedback to Karen from the Directors is appreciated.
- Friends of GNOME
- Accessibility campaign planning.
- Well on track for the end of the week.
- Third testimonial found.
- Karen contacted IBM and they are re-considering their position.
- Reasons that we could not have an app contest today/how to fix it?
- Shift towards the application side after the shell for 3.x.
- Encourage writing GNOME 3 apps.
- There is no HIG 3.0 and developer documentation.
- Need an app developer story first?
- HIG 3.0 is currently being drafted by Allan Day on the GNOME wiki.
- Documentation Hackfest in February 2012.
- Requirements first.
- SDK is missing/too hard to jhbuild.
- Let's wait until more pieces are in place.
- Could it be worth contacting the Yorba developers to help out for the docmentation/SDK?
- Should be added to a future agenda.
- Brian - Will touch base with the GIMP organizers to find out their plans for the GIMP money. Transferred to Karen.
- Brian - To coordinate a fund raising meeting with the GStreamer, a11y, GIMP, and Banshee teams. Transferred to Karen.
- Brian - Will send a draft for the foundation-list email about the Desktop Summit stances and proposals to board-list.
- Karen - To provide a Q3 Report update from the Board and from the ED for the board to review.
- Karen - To send a reply to the World of GNOME organizers.
Status of action items
- Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
- Bastien - Reach out to the GNOME Advisory Board via email to see if they can help out with providing contacts at Yahoo.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- This has been done. Will close once the Foundation website is updated, refer to bug #644932.
- Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them. Taken over from Jorge.
- Brian - Will lead the discussion for the Annual report on the marketing list.
- Emmanuele - Will send an email to board-list to start the discussion on PGO policy and editorial control.
- Germán - Will continue the discussion with Frédéric about the Gitorious instance on gnome.org. Touched based with Frédéric on Sep 30, we will elaborate more on his proposal once he has more time.
Germán - To inform the local GUADEC 2010 organization the decision to make final payment to cover remaining costs. Touched based with Reinount and Vincent. There was a misunderstanding with respect to Koen & Sanne working hours, we need to discuss it again. Everything is fine.
- Germán - To get in touch with Daniel to work on the Annual Report.
- Karen - Will follow up with CiviCRM contract.
- After some tracking down of the status of the communications, cedwards sent email to get discussions with Claudian moving again.
Karen - Will follow up with LojaGeek.
- Emailed, so far no response.
- Karen - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
- Karen - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments. Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to vote by.
- Have been in touch with Gil
- Karen - Will follow up with John and get more information about GNU Mobile.
Karen - To contact GIMP, GStreamer, and PiTiVi to outline the board's thoughts about earmarked fund raising.
- Karen - Follow up with getting Alan Day and Sumana Harihareswara to sign the Copyright Assessment from SFLC. Transferred from Brian.
Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash.
- Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card.
- Shaun - will post the IRC meeting minutes.
- Shaun - Will lead the GNOME Foundation IRC meetings.
- Shaun - To contact Dave Neary and Ekaterina Gerasimova to get a list of attendees to get feedback for the summit.
- Shaun - To help out extracting the GNOME respondents of Describe FoundationBoard/Minutes/20111115 here.the Desktop Summit survey.
- Shaun - To contact the previous editors of the Annual Report to gather a better picture of how to move forward.
- Shaun - To organize the next GNOME Foundation IRC meeting.
- Stormy - will send an email to GWOP interns to attend the Grace Hopper Conference.
Stormy - Take care of GnuCash automation. Taken over from Paul & Behdad.
- Stormy - to ask LWN if they can automate it with gnome.org addresses
- All board members - To review and comment Brian's April 14th proposal regarding better organizing earmarked fundraising.
New Action Items
- Brian - To draft an announcement for foundation-list about the new trademark.
- Brian - To continue working with Justin about the old trademarks.
- Ryan - To help Alberto draft a public announcement regarding change in PGO editorial policy.
- Stormy - To send an email to the GNOME.asia list for plans for next year.
Discussed on the mailing list
- Drafting an email to start a discussion on foundation-list about the future of the Desktop Summit.
- GUADEC 2012
- Planning meeting on December 12th.
- Discussion with Jiří Eischmann about the fact that additional hackfests can be accommodated $25-42 USD per day, but they need to know by December the 14th.
- Discussion with José Félix Ontañon about promoting the "Accessibility of the libre! workstation" event.
- Discussion about making progress on the Annual Report
- Discussion about finding sponsors for the upcoming Friends of GNOME a11y campaign.
- The board finished its report for the Q3 Quarterly Report.