Minutes for Meeting of June 14th, 2011

Next Meeting

  • June 28th, 2011


  • Andreas Nilsson
  • Brian Cameron
  • Emily Chen
  • Germán Póo-Caamaño
  • Karen Sandler
  • Og Maciel
  • Stormy Peters


  • Bastien Nocera
  • Rosanna Yuen


Recurring Items

  • Review past action items.
  • Did each person update their action items?
  • Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
  • Make sure to use gobby server for better minute taking.

New Items

  • Discussed recent changes to the board.
    • The board thanks Paul for his dedicated work on the board and wishes him the best in his future endeavors!
  • Welcome Karen as the new GNOME Foundation ED
    • Verified that Karen has access to important mailing lists, Wiki pages, etc.
    • ACTION: Karen - Will compose a press release by the end of the week.

    • ACTION: Brian - Will work with Karen to finish I9 paperwork.

  • Planning for the Advisory Board meeting next week on Tuesday the 21st.
    • Agenda will include:
      • Will announce the new ED at the Advisory Board, then on the advisory board and foundation mailing lists.
      • Talk about the Desktop Summit
      • Talk about recent hackfests (and ask about ideas for new ones).
      • GUADEC 2012 call for bids is closing.
  • Quarterly Report Plans - Update
    • Q1 report is closing tomorrow. Will then send to marketing-list by Friday for a final review.
    • ACTION: Emily & Andreas - Will publish the Q1 quarterly report on the web on Friday

  • Build GUADEC Event Committee - Update
    • Currently doing the call for bids for GUADEC 2012.
    • Will have an update after the GUADEC Planning Committee IRC meeting on Monday the 20th.
    • GUADEC planning committee will decide if the deadline needs to be extended or not at the GUADEC Planning Committee IRC
      • meeting.

Completed Actions

  • Andreas - To send another e-mail to advisory board to remind about upcoming Advisory Board meeting dates and times.
  • Brian - Will work with Karen to finish I9 paperwork.

Status of action items

  • Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the gnome-de@gnome.org mailing list about finding local German volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011. (will ping again)

  • Andreas - Will look into the possibility of a Desktop Summit design where the facade is more neutral.
  • Andreas - Will blog a Desktop Summit status report.
  • Andreas - Will discuss with Ryan Lortie providing support contracts for GTK+.
  • Andreas - To verify meeting times for the Desktop Summit. That August 9th is a good date for the board and AGM meetings and August 10th for the Advisory Board meeting. Will confirm on board list, then the advisory board list.
  • Andreas - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012). Taken over from Paul.
  • Andreas - Will help Emily publish the quarterly report.
  • Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
  • Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
  • Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
  • Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
  • Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo to plan for a hackfest there.
  • Bastien - Reach out to the GNOME Advisory Board via email to see if they can help out with providing contacts at Yahoo.
  • Bastien - To make sure that the "IM, Contacts & Social Hackfest" gets added to http://live.gnome.org/Hackfests.

  • Bastien - To put together a proposal for how technical issues could be mediated within the community.
  • Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
  • Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them. Taken over from Jorge.
  • Brian - Will follow up with the lawyers to discuss what would be involved to provide liability protection like what the Conservancy provides and to see if they have any perspective about whether the GNOME Foundation should allow GNOME projects to join Conservancy.
  • Brian - Will touch base with the GIMP organizers to find out their plans for the GIMP money.
  • Brian & Og - To coordinate a fund raising meeting with the GStreamer, a11y, GIMP, and Banshee teams. Will draft an agenda.

  • Brian - Follow up with getting Alan Day and Sumana Harihareswara to sign the Copyright Assessment from SFLC.
  • Emily - Will contact the guadec-list and gugmeisters mailing lists to encourage people to get involved with GUADEC 2012 planning.
  • Emily - To contact owners of the Quarterly Report sections and get the unfinished reports published, and get the 2011 Q2 report started.
  • Emily - Will work with Pockey Lam to ensure that MOSC2011 (Malaysia, July 3-5, 2011) has the GNOME resources needed.
  • Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
  • Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
  • Germán - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey topics together. (Handing over to someone else).
  • Germán - Will finish the Financial section of the quarterly report.
  • Germán - Will talk to membership committee to see if we can do something to help remind people to renew memberships to avoid people losing the ability to vote.
  • Germán - To send link to previous year's GUADEC's budgets to guadec-list.
  • Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
    • As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask him what his idea is for doing this.
    • Still have not heard back from Vincent Untz.
    • Still on ToDo.

  • Og - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
    • Still on ToDo.

  • Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
  • Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to vote by.
  • Paul - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James Vasile, etc.
  • Paul - To review Justin's email about updating trademark agreements and email the marketing team for feedback.
  • Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card.
  • Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash.

  • Stormy - Take care of GnuCash automation. Taken over from Paul & Behdad.

  • All board members - To review and comment Brian's April 14th proposal regarding better organizing earmarked fundraising.
  • Unowned - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email it to the board.

New Action Items

  • Emily & Andreas - Will publish the Q1 quarterly report on the web on Friday

  • Karen - Will compose a press release by the end of the week.

Discussed on the mailing list

  • Discussion related to hiring a new ED and Paul stepping down from the board. Changing mailing list subscriptions, who has access to Wiki pages, making announcements, etc.
  • Events
    • Planning for receiving GUADEC 2012 bids.
    • Bharath Acharya has been working with the board to finalize GNOME.Asia expense reimbursements.
    • Discussion about sending GNOME goodies to the MOSC2011 event in Malaysia.
  • Miscellaneous
    • Paul provided an update on the status of his discussions with Canonical before he stepped down from the board.
    • Discussion about distributing GNOME 3 OpenSUSE DVD's to the community.
    • Discussion about what Advisory Board fees would be appropriate for companies in Asia.

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20110614 (last edited 2011-06-27 22:36:43 by BrianCameron)