Minutes for Meeting of June 7th, 2011
- June 14th, 2011
- Andreas Nilsson
- Bastien Nocera
- Brian Cameron
- Emily Chen
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Og Maciel
- Rosanna Yuen
- Stormy Peters
- Paul Cutler
- Review past action items.
- Did each person update their action items?
- Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
- Make sure to use gobby server for better minute taking.
- Paul is stepping down.
- Andreas is stepping up to replace Paul as president.
- Bastien is stepping up as vice-president.
- After the board agreed Stormy should be considered first as replacement for Paul, Germán asked Stormy, and she agreed to step up to the board.
ACTION: Brian - Wiki and mailing-list updates for Stormy to reflect she is on the board.
ACTION: Andreas - Will send the announcement of the board member changes on Tuesday, June 14th or later.
- ED Hiring next steps.
- We will need to schedule a meeting with Karen as soon as she signs the contract.
ACTION: Og - Will ping the new ED and the lawyers tomorrow and make sure things are moving along.
- Canonical and Banshee Revenue Sharing - Update
ACTION: Stormy - To take over Canonical related action items from Paul.
- Annual Report
ACTION: Andreas - Will take over the Financial Report actions.
ACTION: Stormy - Will take over GnuCash automation actions.
- Quarterly Report Plans
ACTION: Andreas - Will help Emily publish the quarterly report.
ACTION: Germán - Will finish the Financial section of the quarterly report.
- Build GUADEC Event Committee
- Brian and Emily attended the first GUADEC Event Committee meeting.
- GUADEC 2012 Bids
- Discussed what's needed for a successful GUADEC bid. Would like to have it in a country where it has not been before.
- Past GUADEC Budget Information
ACTION: Germán - To send link to previous year's GUADEC's budgets to guadec-list.
- Can we send goodies to Pockey Lam for the MOSC2011 conference in Malaysia (July 3-5, 2011)
ACTION: Emily - Will work with Pockey Lam to ensure that MOSC2011 has the GNOME resources needed.
- Seeking $3,209 (USD) for sending speakers to COSCUP.
- Approved by the board. Bastien abstained since he is a speaker. Stormy abstained as she just started at the start of the meeting and has not reviewed the budget. All other votes by those present were positive.
- Sponsor FISL accommodation for two Brazilian contributors ($350).
- Approved unanimously.
IM, Contacts & Social Hackfest (June 13-17, Cambridge)
- Everything is moving along well, according to Bastien.
- Bank update (Rosanna)
- Gotten most of the money returned. Getting all of the funds will take 6-8 weeks.
- Rosanna has a meeting with the bank tomorrow to discuss these ongoing issues. Will provide an update after the meeting.
- Dates for GUADEC advisory board meeting, board meeting and (all hands) meeting.
ACTION: Andreas - To send another e-mail to adboard to remind about upcoming Advisory Board meeting dates and times.
- Membership Renewal Issues.
- Some people's renewal emails went to spam and they did not catch it in time to renew in time for voting.
ACTION: Germán - Will talk to membership committee to see if we can do something to help remind people to renew memberships to avoid people losing the ability to vote.
- Andreas - Will send the announcement of the board member changes on Tuesday, June 14th or later.
- Brian - Wiki and mailing-list updates for Stormy to reflect she is on the board.
- Brian - Will call the lawyer to find status on ED hiring and update the board.
- Emily - Will take care of handling funds from GNOME 3.0 Goodies. Send out a updated expense budget report after produced GNOME 3 goodies. Will need to adjust after spending money to deliver gifts for the GNOME 3 Party Best Photo winners.
- Emily - Update Tracking ID for 112 Launch Party Packages.
- Germán - To send link to previous year's GUADEC's budgets to guadec-list. This new action item was done shortly after the meeting.
- Og - Will ping the new ED and the lawyers tomorrow and make sure things are moving along.
Status of action items
Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the email@example.com mailing list about finding local German volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011. (will ping again)
- Andreas - Will look into the possibility of a Desktop Summit design where the facade is more neutral.
- Andreas - Will blog a Desktop Summit status report.
- Andreas - Will discuss with Ryan Lortie providing support contracts for GTK+.
- Andreas - To verify meeting times for the Desktop Summit. That August 9th is a good date for the board and AGM meetings and August 10th for the Advisory Board meeting. Will confirm on board list, then the advisory board list.
- Andreas - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012). Taken over from Paul.
- Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
- Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
- Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
- Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
- Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo to plan for a hackfest there.
- Bastien - Reach out to the GNOME Advisory Board via email to see if they can help out with providing contacts at Yahoo.
Bastien - To make sure that the "IM, Contacts & Social Hackfest" gets added to http://live.gnome.org/Hackfests.
- Bastien - To put together a proposal for how technical issues could be mediated within the community.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them. Taken over from Jorge.
- Brian - Will follow up with the lawyers to discuss what would be involved to provide liability protection like what the Conservancy provides and to see if they have any perspective about whether the GNOME Foundation should allow GNOME projects to join Conservancy.
- Brian - Will touch base with the GIMP organizers to find out their plans for the GIMP money.
Brian & Og - To coordinate a fund raising meeting with the GStreamer, a11y, GIMP, and Banshee teams. Will draft an agenda.
- Brian - Follow up with getting Alan Day and Sumana Harihareswara to sign the Copyright Assessment from SFLC.
- Emily - Will contact the guadec-list and gugmeisters mailing lists to encourage people to get involved with GUADEC 2012 planning.
- Emily - To contact owners of the Quarterly Report sections and get the unfinished reports published, and get the 2011 Q2 report started.
- Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
- Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
- Germán - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey topics together. (Handing over to someone else).
- Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
- As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask him what his idea is for doing this.
- Still have not heard back from Vincent Untz.
Still on ToDo.
- Og - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
Still on ToDo.
- Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
- Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to vote by.
- Paul - To review Justin's email about updating trademark agreements and email the marketing team for feedback.
- Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card.
Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash.
Stormy - Take care of GnuCash automation. Taken over from Paul & Behdad.
- All board members - To review and comment Brian's April 14th proposal regarding better organizing earmarked fundraising.
- Unowned - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email it to the board.
New Action Items
- Andreas - Will help Emily publish the quarterly report.
- Andreas - To send another e-mail to adboard to remind about upcoming Advisory Board meeting dates and times.
- Emily - Will work with Pockey Lam to ensure that MOSC2011 (Malaysia, July 3-5, 2011) has the GNOME resources needed.
- Germán - Will finish the Financial section of the quarterly report.
- Germán - Will talk to membership committee to see if we can do something to help remind people to renew memberships to avoid people losing the ability to vote.
- Germán - To send link to previous year's GUADEC's budgets to guadec-list.
Discussed on the mailing list
- Discussions regarding hiring a new ED and changes to the board.
- Desktop Summit planning
- Planning when to have board, advisory board, and AGM meetings.
Planning for the "IM, Contacts & Social" Hackfest.
- Planning for the GUADEC Planning Committee meeting on June 6th.
- Ryan Lortie provided a report about the KDE platform sprint in Randa.
- Pockey Lam asked if GNOME goodies could be sent to the MOSC2011 free software event in Malaysia (July 3-5, 2011).
- Working to send 4 GNOME speakers to COSCUP in Taiwan. Travel costs are estimated to be $3,209 (USD)
- Bastien Nocera From Red Hat
- Xan Lopez from Iglia
- Halton Huo From Intel Beijing
Hu NingXin From Intel Beijing
- Desktop Summit planning
- The GIMP Project asked us to transfer $10,000 to LGM.
FreeWear provided a report of sold GNOME merchandise on June 1st for the previous month. Royalty to GNOME is 5 Euros.
- Emily shared an updated budget for the GNOME 3.0 Launch Parties which reflects some updated costs.
Claudio Saavedra sent The GNOME Foundation a final report about the GTK+ / MeeGo work.
- The board responded to András Bognár's questions about setting up a Hungarian GNOME User's Group.
- David Zeuthen asked for some legal assistance about his "Online Accounts" project.
- A couple of GNOME Foundation community members complained that they did not know they needed to renew Foundation membership to vote.