Minutes for Meeting of May 10th, 2011
- May 24th, 2011
- Andreas Nilsson
- Bastien Nocera
- Brian Cameron
- Emily Chen
- Og Maciel
- Rosanna Yuen
- Paul Cutler
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Review past action items.
- Did each person update their action items?
- Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
- Make sure to use gobby server for better minute taking.
- Marketing Update and Post Mortum. Alan Day and Sumana Harihareswara joined for this section of the meeting.
- Things to focus on:
- The Fedora 15 release will be the first release with GNOME 3 so it will likely shape public perceptions.
- Need to coordinate better planning for the 3.2 release, and releases going forward.
- Building relationships with Journalists and media.
- Set up press kit materials.
- Build burst capacity into *.gnome.org sites.
- Need a leader for the Ambassador program.
- Considered ways to improve marketing involvement:
- Getting more people involved with updating the website or GNOME Journal.
- Better recognition.
- One of the conclusions was that if we just execute better on the things we know we should be doing, we will see improvement. We do not necessarily need more plans or structure. It is important to return email promptly, be encouraging, and so on.
- Alan and Sumana agreed to put together a Wiki page to highlight their experience working for The GNOME Foundation to help people get better engaged and involved with The GNOME community.
- Things to focus on:
- Open Help Conference
- The board oted +6 to approve the budget of $3,170 for 4 people to attend.
ACTION: Brian - One attendee to the Open Help Conference needs an invitation letter for their Visa. Brian to provide a signed copy to Shaun McCance.
ACTION: Brian - To notify Shaun McCance that the hackfest costs will be covered.
- COSCUP asked if a GNOME speaker could talk at COSCUP 2011.
- This COSCUP conference focus is "Gadgets beyond Smartphones", so they are looking for a speaker to talk about topics like small footprint devices like netbooks and mobile.
- Bastien expressed interest in attending COSCUP in Taiwan to discuss GNOME Mobile, which is the topic of the upcoming COSCUP event.
- Emily and Bastien to discuss further offline.
The board approved Bastien signing the GTK+ / MeeGo contract for The GNOME Foundation.
ACTION: Bastien - To sign and send the GTK+ / MeeGo contract back to Igalia.
- The board approved budgeting $2,500 (USD) for Og travelling to FISL.
- The board approved sending GNOME stickers to Paul to hand out at Fedora events.
Andreas - To invite Marina Zhurakhinskaya (Women's Outreach), Shaun McCance (upcoming OpenHelp Hackfest), and Dave Neary (Desktop Summit & training) to talk at the meeting.
- Andreas - To collect 3 bullet items from each speaker highlighting what they will talk about.
- Bastien - To respond to Ryan Lortie's propsoal to improve technical leadership. This new action was done shortly after the meeting.
Brian - One attendee to the Open Help Conference needs an invitation letter for their Visa. Brian to provide a signed copy to Shaun McCance. The new action was done shortly after the meeting.
Brian - To notify Shaun McCance that the hackfest costs will be covered. This new action was done shortly after the meeting.
Status of action items
Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more public. (will ping again).
Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the email@example.com mailing list about finding local German volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011. (will ping again)
- Andreas - Will look into the possibility of a Desktop Summit design where the facade is more neutral.
- Andreas - Will blog a Desktop Summit status report.
- Andreas - Will discuss with Ryan Lortie providing support contracts for GTK+.
- Andreas - Will look into planet.gnome.org header to see if we can add a link to see news.gnome.org. This will help more readers to hopefully notice IRC meeting.
- Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back to Texas Instruments.
- Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from Diego Urrelo (hopefully he can automate it).
- Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email it to the board.
- Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
- Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
- Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
- Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
- Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo to plan for a hackfest there.
- Bastien - Reach out to the GNOME Advisory Board via email to see if they can help out with providing contacts at Yahoo.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them. Taken over from Jorge.
- Brian - Will follow up with the lawyers to discuss what would be involved to provide liability protection like what the Conservancy provides and to see if they have any perspective about whether the GNOME Foundation should allow GNOME projects to join Conservancy.
- Brian - Will touch base with the GIMP organizers to find out their plans for the GIMP money.
Brian & Og - To coordinate a fund raising meeting with the GStreamer, a11y, GIMP, and Banshee teams. Will draft an agenda.
- Brian - Follow up with getting Alan Day and Sumana Harihareswara to sign the Copyright Assessment from SFLC.
- Emily - Follow by email about vote for the options for how to spend additional money after produced GNOME 3.0 Goodies.
- Emily - Update Tracking ID for 112 Launch Party Packages. Tracking from
- Emily - Will contact the guadec-list and gugmeisters mailing lists to encourage people to get involved with GUADEC 2012 planning.
- Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
- Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
- Germán - To have a draft Fiscal Year Budget in October for the board to review.
- Germán - Will provide an updated budget for review that we will plan to send to foundation-list for community review.
- Germán - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey topics together. (Handing over to someone else).
- Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
- As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask him what his idea is for doing this.
- Still have not heard back from Vincent Untz.
Still on ToDo.
- Og - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
Still on ToDo.
Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.
- Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012).
- Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
- Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to vote by.
- Paul - To review Justin's email about updating trademark agreements and email the marketing team for feedback.
- Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card.
Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash.
- All board members - To review and comment Brian's April 14th proposal regarding better organizing earmarked fundraising.
New Action Items
Bastien - To sign and send the GTK+ / MeeGo contract back to Igalia.
Discussed on the mailing list
- Moving forward on hiring a new GNOME Executive Director (ED).
Planning for the UserHelp 2011 hackfest.
- Emily let the board know that the COSCUP event is interest in having a GNOME speaker. This COSCUP conference focus is "Gadgets beyond Smartphones", so they are looking for a speaker to talk about topics like small footprint devices like netbooks and mobile.
- Planning for the Advisory Board meeting on Tuesday, May 3rd.
- Ekaterina Gerasimova provided a Desktop Summit update
- Marina Zhurakhinskaya provided a GNOME Women's Outreach update
Shaun McCance GNOME Documentation Team talked about the upcoming UserHelp hackfest.
- Banking Issues
- Someone in Alabama cashed two checks and made 5 direct debits for a total of $10,433.28.
- This issue was noticed by Rosanna and the bank was notified on May 3rd.
- Rosanna provided an update and said the bank is looking into the issue.
- This seems to be an error that the bank will correct.
- Libre Graphics Meeting
- The GNOME Foundation is no longer handling funds for the LGM. LGM has set up a separate non-for-profit in Canada. Their funds have been transferred to their own account.
- Working with the GNOME Foundation Membership Committee to plan a proposed schedule for 2011 elections.
- Vincent Untz is working with The GNOME Foundation to make GNOME 3.0 DVD's available for distribution.
FreeWear provided a report about GNOME-branded merchandise they have sold.