Minutes for Meeting of March 15th, 2011
- March 29th, 2011
- Andreas Nilsson
- Bastien Nocera
- Brian Cameron
- Emily Chen
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Og Maciel
- Paul Cutler
- Rosanna Yuen
- Review past action items.
- Did each person update their action items?
- Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
- Make sure to use gobby server for better minute taking.
- Discussion about improving The GNOME Foundation relationship with Canonical.
- Mark Shuttleworth raised some good questions and concerns about GNOME direction and GNOME release team process to the board.
ACTION: Paul - Will put together an email to Canonical regarding working towards improving relations.
ACTION: Paul - Set up a phone call with the right people at Canonical, the GNOME Foundation board and/or GNOME release team to discuss how to improve relations.
- Fraudulent check
- A person not affiliated with GNOME brought to the board's attention a fraudulent check that was used for a non-GNOME related promotion.
- The check used publicly available account information (used for donations), and used a GNOME account that does not allow for withdrawals.
- The recipient of the check did not try to deposit it, as it looked fraudulent.
- ED Hiring
- The board agreed to do away with the bonus plan and instead roll $15,000 (USD) into the salary directly. This is, on average, the amount Stormy received via bonus in past years.
- Bastien is looking for new contacts at Yahoo.
ACTION: Bastien - Reach out to the GNOME Advisory Board via email to see if they can help out with providing contacts at Yahoo.
- Desktop Summit
- The registration website is currently using KDE infrastructure.
- Some people are not comfortable with this, but this was the easiest way to get things done with very limited resources.
ACTION: Andreas - Will look into the possibility of a Desktop Summit design where the facade is more neutral.
ACTION: Andreas - Will blog a Desktop Summit status report.
- GNOME 3.0 Launch
- After producing and shipping the GNOME 3.0 launch goodies to 112 registered launch parties, there is $739.96 (USD) budget remaining.
- How should the budget be used? Options discussed:
- Transfer the money back to the GNOME Foundation account.
- Use the money to support Bangalore GNOME.Asia Summit and 3.0 Hackfest.
- Use the money to provide more goodies for parties (e.g. for parties that registered late).
- Use the money to provide goodies to offer in exchange for a donation at GNOME.Asia?
- The board agreed to consider these options and vote via email after the meeting.
ACTION: Emily - Follow by email about vote for the options for extra money
ACTION: Emily - Update Tracking ID for 112 Launch Party Packages.
ACTION: Emily - Prepare to launch the GNOME Store in Beijing
ACTION: Emily - Create a PO in Oracle and transfer the gold sponsorship from Oracle to GNOME.Asia Summit 2011
ACTION: Emily - Produce, Deliver and Tracking goodies for GNOME 3.0 Launch Parties.
- The GNOME Foundation acquired the gnome-touch.org domain.
- Andreas - Will send out emails to get more contacts or suggestions for someone who may be interested in applying.
- Og - Will work to update the GNOME websites to update pages that refer to Stormy as the Executive Director.
- Og - Will email the ED mailing list and ask for an update on how the hiring process is going, how many applications, etc.
- Og - Will email the foundation-list mailing list with a reminder of January 12th IRC meeting time details.
- Paul - To send email to the Advisory Board to request for help regarding Dave Neary's request. (Complete thanks to Vincent's reminder)
- Paul - Will discuss with Canonical what we can do to improve communication. (Conference call with Rick Spencer on Mar 9th)
- Paul - Will follow-up to acquire a laptop for Rosanna. (Board approved Rosanna's laptop purchase and gave Rosanna some direction on next steps)
Status of action items
Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more public. (will ping again).
Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the email@example.com mailing list about finding local German volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011. (will ping again)
- Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back to Texas Instruments.
- Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from Diego Urrelo (hopefully he can automate it).
- Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email it to the board.
- Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
- Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
- Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
- Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
- Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo to plan for a hackfest there.
- Bastien - To e-mail Murray about contacting UPS one more time regarding the lost Event Box.
- Bastien - To e-mail GIMP about changing their website, and procedure for donating.
Bastien - Will email Joanie about options about whether it makes sense for orca to consider being a FreeDesktop project.
- Bastien - Will help find a home for the European Event Box.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them. Taken over from Jorge.
- Brian - Will finalize marketing contract with Allan Day and Sumana Harihareswara.
- Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
- Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
- Germán - To have a draft Fiscal Year Budget in October for the board to review.
- Germán - Will provide an updated budget for review that we'll plan to send to foundation-list for community review.
- Germán - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey topics together. (Handing over to someone else.)
- Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
- As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask him what his idea is for doing this.
- Still have not heard back from Vincent Untz.
Still on ToDo.
- Og - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
Still on ToDo.
Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.
- Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012).
- Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
- Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to vote by.
- Paul - To review Justin's email about updating trademark agreements and email the marketing team for feedback.
- Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the bank to continue process.
Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash.
New Action Items
- Andreas - Will look into the possibility of a Desktop Summit design where the facade is more neutral.
- Andreas - Will blog a Desktop Summit status report.
- Bastien - Reach out to the GNOME Advisory Board via email to see if they can help out with providing contacts at Yahoo.
- Emily - Follow by email about vote for the options for how to spend additional money after produced GNOME 3.0 Goodies.
- Emily - Update Tracking ID for 112 Launch Party Packages.
- Emily - Prepare to launch the GNOME Store in Beijing
- Emily - Create a PO in Oracle and transfer the gold sponsorship from Oracle to GNOME.Asia Summit 2011
- Emily - Produce, Deliver and Tracking goodies for GNOME 3.0 Launch Parties.
- Paul - Will put together an email to Canonical regarding working towards improving relations.
- Paul - Set up a phone call with the right people at Canonical, the GNOME Foundation board and/or GNOME release team to discuss how to improve relations.
Discussed on the mailing list
- Moving forward with ED interviews and related discussions.
- The board is discussing hiring a contractor for 20 hours ($1,000 USD) to help setup the GNOME CiviCRM system.
- GNOME 3 Launch
- Planning for a GNOME 3.0 DVD.
- Emily reported that the GNOME 3.0 Launch Goodies were ready on March 11 and that 112 packages have been sent out.
- The organizers had a budget of $7,046.20 (USD) and now have a remaining budget of $739.96 (USD) after sending out goodies to all 112 registered parties. The board is discussing whether to use the additional money to make more goodies or to use this budget in other ways.
- The GNOME and KDE boards agreed to continue doing the Desktop Summit on a bi-annual basis.
- Dave Neary asked the board if an advisory board member might be able to help provide the infrastructure to do an online training session/seminar on giving a conference presentation before the Desktop Summit. Paul pinged the Advisory Board with the request.
- The board approved sending Brian Cameron to GNOME.Asia (March 28 - April 3, Bangalore, India)
- The board approved sending Brian Cameron and Paul Cutler to the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit (April 6-8, San Fransisco, USA).
- The board agreed to cover $182 in transportation costs for the User Help Hackfest.
- GSoC planning is being arranged.
- The board agreed that the Women's Outreach program will provide $5500 per intern ($5000 student+ $500 organization) to match the way GSoC is run.
- Discussion about who should receive the GNOME Pants at the Desktop Summit.
- The board is working to setup an affiliate account with eMusic to work with the new Banshee eMusic extension
FreeWear provided a royalty report for February, 2011. The GNOME Foundation generated €5 in royalty.
- Working to finalize the paperwork needed to finish Trademarking the GNOME brand.
Finalizing the MeeGo Handset Bid contract.
- Discussion about processing funds held for Libre Graphics Meeting (LGM).
- Paul had a meeting with Rick Spencer from Canonical to discuss how to improve relations.