Minutes for Meeting of March 1st, 2011

Next Meeting

  • March 15th, 2011


  • Bastien Nocera
  • Brian Cameron
  • Emily Chen
  • Germán Póo-Caamaño
  • Og Maciel
  • Paul Cutler
  • Andreas Nilsson


  • Rosanna Yuen


Recurring Items

  • Review past action items.
  • Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
  • Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
  • Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
  • Update foundation.gnome.org website.

New Items

  • Marketing Contract
    • Allan Day and Sumana Harihareswara both accepted the Marketing contract position.
    • Plan is to provide guidance via the gnome-marketing mailing list. Several board members are subscribed to this list.
    • Need to finalize the contract.
    • ACTION - Brian will finalize contract with Allan Day and Sumana Harihareswara

  • ED Hiring
    • The ED Hiring Committee provided the board with recommendations. The board is currently planning interviews.
    • ACTION: Brian to provide the questions the ED Hiring Committee used when doing interviews to the board via email.

  • Improving communication with Canonical
    • ACTION: Paul will discuss with Canonical what we can do to improve communication.

  • Event Box
    • ACTION: Bastien will help find a home for the European Event Box.

  • Hardware
    • The System76 laptop will be made available to the new ED when hired.
    • A new laptop will be purchased to replace Rosanna's aging one.
    • ACTION: Paul will follow-up to acquire a laptop for Rosanna.

Completed Actions

  • Brian - To provide the questions the ED Hiring Committee used when doing interviews to the board via email. This new action item was completed shortly after the meeting.
  • Paul - Updated foundation.gnome.org to remove Stormy's bio
  • Paul - Extended job offers to two marketing contractors and let the others know they didn't get the position
  • Paul - Will update the GNOME Mobile website with the link and logo improvements.
  • Rosanna - Will take care of providing funds needed for production of goodies to be sent to registered parties.
  • Rosanna - Will handle the purchase orders with Google for GIMP/GStreamer GSoC mentor payments as she has been doing it already for GNOME.

Status of action items

  • Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more public. (will ping again).

  • Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the gnome-de@gnome.org mailing list about finding local German volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011. (will ping again)

  • Andreas - Will send out emails to get more contacts or suggestions for someone who may be interested in applying.
  • Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back to Texas Instruments.
  • Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from Diego Urrelo (hopefully he can automate it).
  • Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email it to the board.
  • Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
  • Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
  • Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
  • Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
  • Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo to plan for a hackfest there.
  • Bastien - To e-mail Murray about contacting UPS one more time regarding the lost Event Box.
  • Bastien - To e-mail GIMP about changing their website, and procedure for donating.
  • Bastien - Will email Joanie about options about whether it makes sense for orca to consider being a FreeDesktop project.

  • Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
  • Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them. Taken over from Jorge.
  • Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
  • Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
  • Germán - To have a draft Fiscal Year Budget in October for the board to review.
  • Germán - Will provide an updated budget for review that we'll plan to send to foundation-list for community review.
  • Germán - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey topics together. (Handing over to someone else.)
  • Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
    • As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask him what his idea is for doing this.
    • Still have not heard back from Vincent Untz.
    • Still on ToDo.

  • Og - Will work to update the GNOME websites to update pages that refer to Stormy as the Executive Director.
    • Still on ToDo.

  • Og - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
    • Still on ToDo.

  • Og - Will email the ED mailing list and ask for an update on how the hiring process is going, how many applications, etc.
  • Og - Will email the foundation-list mailing list with a reminder of January 12th IRC meeting time details.
  • Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.

  • Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012).
  • Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
  • Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to vote by.
  • Paul - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James Vasile, etc.
  • Paul - To review Justin's email about updating trademark agreements and email the marketing team for feedback.
  • Paul - To send email to the Advisory Board to request for help regarding Dave Neary's request.
  • Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the bank to continue process.
  • Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash.

New Action Items

  • Bastien - Will help find a home for the European Event Box.
  • Brian - Will finalize marketing contract with Allan Day and Sumana Harihareswara.
  • Paul - Will discuss with Canonical what we can do to improve communication.
  • Paul - Will follow-up to acquire a laptop for Rosanna.

Discussed on the mailing list

  • Hiring
    • On February 22nd, the ED Hiring Committee notified the board that all interviews for the ED position have completed and provided recommendations to the board. The board is now planning interviews.
    • Reviewing marketing applicants, conducting interviews, and making the announcement that The GNOME Foundation is hiring two people to work on GNOME 3.0 Marketing efforts.
  • Accessibility
  • Rescheduling the next #foundation IRC meeting to Wednesday, March 9th, 14:00 UTC
  • Planning involvement in the Google Summer of Code (GSoC).
  • Discussions about how to improve the GNOME Licensing FAQ.
  • Finding a home for the new European GNOME Event Box.

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20110301 (last edited 2011-03-14 19:55:34 by BrianCameron)