Minutes for Meeting of February 1st, 2011
- February 15th, 2011
- Andreas Nilsson
- Bastien Nocera
- Brian Cameron
- Emily Chen
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Paul Cutler
- Rosanna Yuen
- Og Maciel
- Review past action items.
- Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
- Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
- Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
- Update foundation.gnome.org website.
LiMo is leaving the GNOME Advisory Board.
- Advisory Board Meeting
- Meeting on Tuesday, February 8th @ 11:00 a.m. EST.
- GNOME Launch Party Update / bank transfer
- Would like to invite Fred Muller, who drafted the call for sponsors, to attend the Advisory Board meeting. to present about GNOME.Asia and GNOME 3 Launch Parties.
- Planned Agenda
- Hiring Committee Update
- Very high level, no need to discuss names or numbers. Focus on timing and the process moving along, when to expect more of an announcement.
LiMo Leaving the Advisory Board
- Desktop Summit
- GNOME 3 Launch Party
- Mobile Bid Announcement
- Event Box
- Thank you to Canonical for providing funding.
- Progress being made putting the Events Box together, preparing a banner.
- Marketing Position
- Upcoming Hackfests.
- Hiring Committee Update
- Topics for Future Advisory Board Meeting agenda:
- FoG Update
ACTION: Paul will send an email to announce the meeting agenda to the advisory board list by Friday.
- Desktop Summit.
- Local meeting Desktop Summit at FOSDEM on Friday at 4pm @ hotel lobby.
ACTION: Andreas will invite Dave Neary to give an update to the advisory board.
ACTION: Andreas will find out if the Desktop Summit call for Sponsors will be ready to present at the advisory board meeting.
- GNOME 3 Launch Parties
- Over 50 parties have registered.
ACTION: Rosanna will take care of providing funds needed for production of goodies to be sent to registered parties.
- Marketing Position
ACTION: Brian will send out an email to marketing-list about a deadline for resume submission.
- Orca / Software Freedom Conservancy
- Discussions underway. The SFC is working to determine if it is possible for GNOME projects to join the SFC.
ACTION: Bastien will email Joanie about options about whether it makes sense for orca to consider being a FreeDesktop project.
Status of action items
Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more public. (will ping again).
Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list about finding local German volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011. (will ping again)
- Andreas - Will send out emails to get more contacts or suggestions for someone who may be interested in applying.
- Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back to Texas Instruments.
- Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from Diego Urrelo (hopefully he can automate it).
- Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email it to the board.
- Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
- Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
- Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
- Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
- Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo to plan for a hackfest there.
- Bastien - To e-mail Murray about contacting UPS one more time regarding the lost Event Box.
- Bastien - To e-mail GIMP about changing their website, and procedure for donating.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them. Taken over from Jorge.
- Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
- Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
- Germán - To have a draft Fiscal Year Budget in October for the board to review.
- Germán - Will provide an updated budget for review that we'll plan to send to foundation-list for community review.
- Germán - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey topics together. (Handing over to someone else.)
- Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
- As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask him what his idea is for doing this.
- Still have not heard back from Vincent Untz.
Still on ToDo.
- Og - Will work to update the GNOME websites to update pages that refer to Stormy as the Executive Director.
Still on ToDo.
- Og - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
Still on ToDo.
- Og - Will email the ED mailing list and ask for an update on how the hiring process is going, how many applications, etc.
- Og - Will email the foundation-list mailing list with a reminder of January 12th IRC meeting time details.
Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.
- Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012).
- Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
- Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to vote by.
- Paul - To review Justin's email about updating trademark agreements and email the marketing team for feedback.
- Paul - Will follow up with the marketing-list to provide more details about what sort of work we would like to have done for the marketing contract.
- Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the bank to continue process.
- Rosanna - Will handle the purchase orders with Google for GIMP/GStreamer GSoC mentor payments as she has been doing it already for GNOME.
Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash.
New Action Items
- Andreas - Will invite Dave Neary to give an update to the advisory board.
- Andreas - Will find out if the Desktop Summit call for Sponsors will be ready to present at the advisory board meeting.
Bastien - Will email Joanie about options about whether it makes sense for orca to consider being a FreeDesktop project.
- Brian - Will send out an email to marketing-list about a deadline for resume submission.
- Paul - Will send an email to announce the meeting agenda to the adboard list by Friday.
- Rosanna - Will take care of providing funds needed for production of goodies to be sent to registered parties.
Discussed on the mailing list
- Working to reimburse Francisco Rojas $1,931.33 (USD) for Día GNOME 2010 costs.
- Planning for upcoming hackfests:
- User Help
- GNOME.Asia and GNOME 3 Launch
ATK (Accessibility ToolKit)
- Zeitgeist Hackfest
- Sysadmin Hackfest
- GNOME 3.0 Bangalore Hackfest | GNOME.Asia Summit 2011:
- Event date confirmed: March 28 to April 2
- Hackfest: March 28 - April 1 (2 days optional + 3 days)
- Conference date: April 2 (1 day + 1 day optional depend on our budget / number of speakers)
- Officially announced and we can calling for hackers and speakers
- Friends from the marketing and release team committed to join us
- Promoting the GNOME 3.0 Global Launch Party with goodies support
- Officially announced on January 21.
- Promotion emails sent to different GNOME mailing lists and other local communities, social networks as well.
- About 50 launch parties registered and the list seems to be growing fast.
- Deadline of registration is February 15.
- Discussion with The Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC) about whether it makes sense for GNOME projects like orca to join the SFC.
- Discussion about what hardware the GNOME sysadmin team needs.
- Discussion about how to generate better planning within the GNOME Marketing team to help define what help is needed for GNOME 3.
- Discussion about setting up a Malaysian GNOME Users Group.
- Bastien has been working to track down the Event Box that was lost by UPS and plans to buy an additional Events Box as they are needed.
Bastien took care of responding to a backlog of people who were sending emails to email@example.com to ask how to contribute to GIMP.
- Working out some issues with GNOME domain names, such as renewing GNOME.Asia. and guadec.org.
- Planning for the GNOME Foundation IRC meeting on Wednesday, January 26th.
- Planning agenda items for the GNOME Foundation Advisory Board meeting on Tuesday, February 8th.