Minutes for Meeting of December 23rd, 2010

Next Meeting

  • January 6th, 2010


  • Andreas Nilsson
  • Brian Cameron
  • Emily Chen
  • Germán Póo-Caamaño
  • Paul Cutler
  • Rosanna Yuen


  • Bastien Nocera
  • Og Maciel


Recurring Items

  • Review past action items.
  • Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
  • Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
  • Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
  • Update foundation.gnome.org website.

New Items

  • Desktop Summit Update (Andreas)
    • One of the hardest parts has been selecting the context management system (CMS). Drupal has been selected. There are still questions about where to host it, but that should be resolved soon.
    • The budget is being worked on.
    • Beds in Hotel/Hostels have been prebooked for the conference period.
    • I signed paperwork and sent off to GNOME Foundation and KDE E.v.
    • The organizers are planning a face-to-face meeting at Fosdem, probably on Saturday during lunch.
    • Andreas spoke with Kat while in Berlin and checked how things are going. Things are progressing well according to her.
  • Germán sent the 2011 budget to the foundation-list.
  • GTK+/MeeGo project call for bids.

    • A bid was chosen and will be announced soon. Those who submitted bids have been contacted and told if their bid was selected or not.
  • Marketing contract
    • Announcement that we have $5,000 to spend on a contractor was sent to the marketing list.
    • ACTION: Paul will follow up with the marketing-list to provide more details about what sort of work we would like to have done for the marketing contract.

  • GNOME 3.0 launch events
    • Emily provided a budget for providing goodies for GNOME 3.0 launch events.
    • Plan to know exactly how many launch events will be held by the end of February.
    • Paul, Brian, Germán, and Emily give a +1.
  • Travel committee wants to try out Egencia
    • Egencia is a business travel site that is affiliated with expedia.com).
    • Cost is $375 per year plus $7 per transaction. They can hold this offer only through end of 2010.
    • This service is only useful for purchasing tickets for U.S. based airlines.
    • The travel committee believes this service will save time.
    • Everyone gave a +1, so this is approved.
  • The board reviewed open action items and closed several that are no longer being actively worked on.

Completed Actions

  • Andreas - To check with Johannes and Shaun about having a Developer Documentation Hackfest. The hackfest is now being organized.
  • Bastien - Setup committee to look at GTK+/MeeGo integration bids.

  • Bastien - To form a working group to review the GTK+/MeeGo bids and choose a final list.

  • Brian - To draft initial email about hiring marketing help. Paul will assist with editing and send to marketing-list.
  • Germán - Will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the Annual Report.
  • Germán - Will follow up with Shaun McCance about how the board can help with his proposal for funding developer documentation. The hackfest is now being organized.

  • Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
  • Paul - To work with Jonathan Blandford for the pants article in the annual report.
  • Paul - Will create the Executive Director hiring mailing list.
  • Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive responses. This is no longer being actively worked on.

Status of action items

  • Andreas - Will finish the Friends of GNOME revamp and find someone with proper javascript skills to help.
  • Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more public. (will ping again).

  • Andreas - To take the GUADEC feedback and post it to a public wiki page. (someone else did this I think?)
  • Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the gnome-de@gnome.org mailing list about finding local German volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011. (will ping again)

  • Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back to Texas Instruments.
  • Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from Diego Urrelo (hopefully he can automate it).
  • Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email it to the board.
  • Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
  • Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
  • Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
  • Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
  • Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo to plan for a hackfest there.
  • Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME legal team.
  • Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
  • Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them. Taken over from Jorge.
  • Emily - To send the budget for the GNOME 3.0 launch activities to the board for review and vote.
  • Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
  • Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
  • Germán - To have a draft Fiscal Year Budget in October for the board to review.
  • Germán - Will provide an updated budget for review that we'll plan to send to foundation-list for community review.
  • Germán - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey topics together. (Handing over to someone else.)
  • Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
    • As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask him what his idea is for doing this.
    • Still haven't heard back from vuntz
  • Og - Will work to update the GNOME websites to update pages that refer to Stormy as the Executive Director.
  • Og - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
  • Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.

  • Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012).
  • Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
  • Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to vote by.
  • Paul - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James Vasile, etc.
  • Paul - To review Justin's email about updating trademark agreements and email the marketing team for feedback.
  • Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.

  • Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
  • Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the bank to continue process.
  • Rosanna - Will handle the purchase orders with Google for GIMP/GStreamer GSoC mentor payments as she has been doing it already for GNOME.

New Action Items

  • Paul - Will follow up with the marketing-list to provide more details about what sort of work we would like to have done for the marketing contract.

Discussed on the mailing list

  • Mobile
    • Bastien is working to make a decision about which Mobile bid will be approved.
  • Marketing/Finance
    • Discussion about hiring short-term marketing help.
    • Trading emails with Ramón Villaverde about finalizing the agreement for FreeWear to sell GNOME-branded merchandise.

    • Rosanna found a new accountant, Burton Li. Buron's specialty is nonprofits in California. He will charge $75 per hour, which will likely change to a flat-rate once Burton has a better understanding of the amount of work involved.
  • Friends of GNOME
    • Og provided an update on the new campaign. He said that most tasks have been completed with a couple of exceptions:
      • Lucas Rocha should be contacted to take the campaign ruler that Paul did and properly enable it.
      • Still no videos.
      • No text from Joey for the magazines.
      • Paul sent out notes to all current subscribers about LWN.
      • Og wants to know what happens going forwards as Stormy had given me the task of maintaining LWN and new subscriptions (Og already send out emails for new subscribers and cancellations, and Og maintains the previous donors page).
  • Events
    • The GNOME.Asia organizers announced that the GNOME.Asia Summit 2011 will be held in Bangladore, India.
    • Emily proposed a plan to provide goodies for GNOME 3 launch events. The expected cost will be USD 7,926 to provide goodies for 100 parties. Goodies will include t-shirts, stickers, balloons, buttons, and postage costs.
  • Accessibility
    • Germán is putting together a contract between the GNOME Foundation and Emergya to do work to improve orca performance.
  • Miscellaneous

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20101223 (last edited 2011-01-06 16:15:55 by BrianCameron)