Minutes for Meeting of November 11th, 2010

Next Meeting

  • December 9th, 2010


  • Andreas Nilsson
  • Bastien Nocera
  • Brian Cameron
  • Germán Póo-Caamaño
  • Og Maciel
  • Paul Cutler
  • Rosanna Yuen


  • Emily Chen


Recurring Items

  • Review past action items.
  • Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
  • Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
  • Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
  • Update foundation.gnome.org website.

New Items

  • Joanmarie Diggs joined the meeting to give an update on GNOME accessibility.
    • Currently orca and the a11y project is underfunded.
    • Many tasks are being done by unpaid and overworked volunteers.
    • There is not enough manpower to get the work done.
    • The orca team came up with a 2-year roadmap of work that needs to be done and there are not enough resources to get all the work done.
    • Fortunately there has been a lot of resources provided by Spain in the past year, but these resources may not continue to be available.
    • A $40,000 budget for FY2012 would help the a11y project.
    • The GNOME Foundation currently has a $20,000 a11y budget. Half is allocated for travel and half is allocated for contracting work. This includes roughly a $5,000 surplus from previous year, $10,000 from Mozilla, and $5,000 from F123-Mais Diferenças.
  • Possible solutions:
    • Perhaps a Friends of GNOME campaign could target a11y.
    • Perhaps we could revisit funding a11y tasks via bounties (e.g. The GOPA program). That project did not work so well since the bounties were too small. Perhaps a $40,000 budget would allow for larger bounties.
    • We should do more PR, blogs, and publish more clear plans about what work we want to do to raise awareness.
    • Can plan to do a targeted FoG campaign. Plan to do a campaign for servers in Spring, 2011. So, an a11y campaign could follow.
    • Can we work more closely with advisory board companies to get more people allocated to a11y instead of, or in addition to, raising funds.
    • Perhaps we could determine a more consistent way to allocate some money from the yearly advisory board fees to programs that need money every year such as a11y.
  • Next steps:
    • The a11y team needs to provide a more clear a11y-wide roadmap instead of just an orca roadmap. It would be easier to get resources if we had a clear list of work that needs attention. Joanie said that she hopes that a draft roadmap might be ready in a few weeks.
  • Review of the Executive Director job description
    • The board felt that the description put together looks good.
    • All feedback on the Executive Director job description needs to be done by Sunday so we can make the announcement on Monday.
    • Hiring committee
      • Working to put together the committee.
      • The board considered whether it would be good to do panel interviews.
        • They tend to be valuable, but it can be complicated to find a time that works for everyone.
        • Bastien suggests that perhaps we can find a committee that is located in the same region to make timing easier. If so, should we have separate committee's in different regions?
  • ACTION: Og will work to update the GNOME websites to update pages that refer to Stormy as the Executive Director.

Completed Actions

  • Brian - To write-up the feedback from Stormy's review and to provide it to Stormy.
  • Paul - Will work on 2010 Annual Report
    • Paul - To fix the annual report: remove all TM in the GNOME logos, s/GNOME Asia/GNOME.Asia/g, use right font for GNOME logo.
    • Paul - Will follow up with Germán about the financial data for the Annual Report.
  • Paul - To make sure Board members have access to the Foundation blog.
  • Paul - To follow up with Christer Edwards on using Bugzilla and CiviCRM to track Friends of GNOME Postcards. (Scheduled meeting with Christer on 10/14/10 to discuss Sysadmin projects)

Status of action items

  • Andreas - Will finish the Friends of GNOME revamp and find someone with proper javascript skills to help.
  • Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more public. (will ping again)

  • Andreas - To take the GUADEC feedback and post it to a public wiki page. (someone else did this I think?)
  • Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the gnome-de@gnome.org mailing list about finding local German volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011. (will ping again)

  • Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back to Texas Instruments.
  • Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from Diego Urrelo (hopefully he can automate it).
  • Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email it to the board.
  • Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
  • Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
  • Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
  • Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
  • Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo to plan for a hackfest there.
  • Bastien - Setup committee to look at GTK+/MeeGo integration bids.

  • Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME legal team.
  • Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
  • Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them. Taken over from Jorge.
  • Germán - Will share the financial data that was provided to the advisory board to foundation-list.
  • Germán - Will follow up with Shaun McCance about how the board can help with his proposal for funding developer documentation.

  • Germán - Will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the Annual Report.
  • Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
  • Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
  • Germán - To have a draft Fiscal Year Budget in October for the board to review.
  • Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
    • As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask him what his idea is for doing this.
    • Still haven't heard back from vuntz
  • Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.

  • Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
  • Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012)
  • Paul - To work with Jonathan Blandford for the pants article in the annual report.
  • Paul - Diego had an action item to send an updated "Día GNOME" article for the Annual Report. Since Paul is finishing up the Annual Report, Paul can close this action when this is finished.
  • Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
  • Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to vote by.
  • Paul - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James Vasile, etc.
  • Paul - Will create the Executive Director hiring mailing list.
  • Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.

  • Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
  • Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the bank to continue process.
  • Rosanna - Will handle the purchase orders with Google for GIMP/GStreamer GSoC mentor payments as she has been doing it already for GNOME.
  • Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive responses. (Handing over to someone else.)
  • Stormy - Taking over for Og. Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey topics together. (Handing over to someone else.)
  • All Board Members - Review the Executive Director job description.

New Action Items

  • Og - Will work to update the GNOME websites to update pages that refer to Stormy as the Executive Director.

Discussed on the mailing list

  • The GNOME Event Box was lost because UPS sent it to a random address in Portugal instead of the correct address in Spain. The GNOME Foundation is working with UPS to see if can be retrieved or if it is possible to get reimbursed.
  • Planning for the Advisory Board meeting on Tuesday, November 9th.
  • Ongoing review of Germán's proposed budget for FY2011.
  • Planning for the Desktop Summit 2011, including discussion about GNOME and Christer helping to provide IT infrastructure.
  • Review of the Executive Director job description.
  • Stormy suggested that the board consider hiring someone to help coordinate and release GNOME 3.0 from a marketing perspective. This would be a 5 month contract and separate from the Executive Director position. Their sole job would be to make sure there is big splash when GNOME 3.0 is released.
  • The GNOME Foundation received a request for €550 (US$772.42) for Tobial Müller to represent GNOME at FOSS.in next December. The board approved.
  • The board approved spending $2036 (US$) to pay Frederic Muller's travel costs to attend The Boston Summit.
  • Stormy ran a new doodle survey to see if we can find a better time for scheduling the board meeting.

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20101111 (last edited 2010-12-08 17:48:02 by BrianCameron)