Minutes for Meeting of September 2nd, 2010
- September 16th, 2010
- Andreas Nilsson
- Bastien Nocera
- Emily Chen
- Og Maciel
- Paul Cutler
- Stormy Peters
- Rosanna Yuen
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Brian Cameron
- Review past action items.
- Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
- Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
- Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
- Update foundation.gnome.org website.
- Nokia Proposal.
- The GNOME Foundation met with Nokia to discuss Bastien's proposal how to spend the money they provided, and they liked it. Bastien is now writing up a call for bids.
ACTION: Bastien emailing with Nokia and GTK+/XI2 maintainers to further detail out the proposal of how to spend the money provided by Nokia. Major issues include the bug discussed on d-d-l and touch framework. Bastien gathering more information currently.
- Fiscal Year Budgeting Process
- Request from GNOME Brazil
- Jonh Wendell informed the board that the costs for the 7º Forum GNOME event in Natal, Brasil (November 5-6th) will be $4468.24 (USD).
- This event will be co-hosted with ENSL
- Ping the people who requested budget money from 2010 and ping them for 2011 requests.
ACTION: Emily to create list of everyone who requested money in 2010. Emily will contact them and ask about their plans for 2011.
- Request from GNOME Brazil
- GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal
- Need more discussion with membership.
- Emails sent to foundation-list, but not much response.
ACTION: Og will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task.
- GNOME IRC Meeting - Define topics
ACTION: Bastien to talk to sysadmins about the GNOME IRC meeting, follow-up on Sept 16th.
ACTION: Paul to start brainstorming for the GNOME IRC meeting.
- Release team - application module sets
- Paul emailed the release team to follow up on the decision of how applications will be included in GNOME going forward. Short term, this could help the release-notes by adding additional applications.
- Ideas for hackfest topics for Italy and Largo Florida.
- Two opportunities for hosting a hackfest: Dave Richards (City of Largo) and Daniel Siegel (Bolzano) are willing to host.
- Stormy and Daniel emailed 4 or 5 teams and may have a lead.
- Bastien pinged Dave Richards. Dave is interested in "GNOME Administration" (pessulus, sabayon, GSettings) or performance ("bootcharts", visual performance).
- Boston Summit
- Fees for the venue. We have the rooms for free over the weekend. We are working on which rooms and cost for Monday but the Boston Summit will happen that weekend and J5 has announced it.
- 2010 Q2 GNOME Quarterly Report Update
- It is done - just needs to be posted on the website.
- Desktop Summit
- Andreas will attend the organization meeting in September to represent the Board.
- Still working on who will represent previous GUADEC organizers at this meeting. Dave Neary provided his availability and Vincent Untz will soon. Stormy also asked Reinout van Schouwen.
- Should we ask Ekaterina (Kat) Gerasimova to be the GNOME representative for the Desktop Summit?
- The Board agreed to this.
- Andreas to serve as the liaison/point of contact to help Kat.
ACTION: Andreas to reach out to Ekaterina (Kat) Gerasimova to see if she wants to be the GNOME representative for the 2011 Desktop Summit and, if so, to invite her to the Desktop Summit meeting.
- Accessibility team update (Stormy)
- There have been some communication issues with the GNOME a11y team and we have several potential opportunities.
ACTION: Brian will follow up with the a11y team to help address communication issues.
ACTION: Stormy to attend the next ally meeting to help figure out how to follow up on opportunities.
- Bastien - Will help Stormy identify some opportunities how to best use the money provided by Nokia.
Bastien - To discuss technical Nokia plans with regards to MeeGo for Handsets.
Bastien - Will investigate whether firstname.lastname@example.org should be sent to release team instead of the board.
- Bastien - Will ask for feedback about GUADEC on gnome-foundation list.
- Bastien - To send the French website a follow-up email about GNOME Trademarks.
- Emily - To write a proposal for new board members mentoring program.
- Emily - Will provide the necessary information and help for them to build a users group in Taipei.
- Emily- For Women's program, Emily will introduce the local leader to Marina Zhurakhinskaya.
- Ryan - To ask on gtk-devel-list for a quick estimate of costs (trip/dates) for the GTK+ hackfest.
- Stormy - Will ask Diego Urrelo if he would like to continue to work on the board mentors for hackfest organizers idea.
- Stormy - To share feedback on how to build the questions for the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey.
- Stormy - To work with John (J5) Palmieri to renegotiate the costs for the Boston Summit.
Status of action items
- Andreas - Follow up with Vincent Untz about creating a Philosophy page on the GNOME Wiki.
Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more public.
- Andreas - Will get feedback for the Annual Report for Daniel Galleguillos.
- Andreas - Will find out if the GTK+ and WebKitGTK+ Hackfests need help fundraising.
- Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back to Texas Instruments.
- Bastien - To contact some international banks for the possibility of a US-based dual-currency account (probably will not work, as Stormy already did research.
- Bastien - To find contacts at HP who are working on GNOME with Palm OS.
- Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from Diego Urrelo (hopefully he can automate it).
- Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email it to the board.
- Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
- Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
- Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
- Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
- Bastien - Will create private Wiki page to sort ideas about how to better organize events like GUADEC.
- Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo to plan for a hackfest there.
- Bastien - To write up a call for bids for Nokia proposal, and discuss the technology with people from Nokia.
- Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME legal team.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- Diego - Will send an updated "Día GNOME" article for the Annual Report.
- Germán - Will share the financial data that was provided to the advisory board to foundation-list.
Germán - Will follow up with Shaun McCance about how the board can help with his proposal for funding developer documentation. ONGOING: There will be a BOF on Developer Documentation at GUADEC + further conversation with Shaun might help to clarify what would be needed.
- Germán - Will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the Annual Report.
- Germán - Will update the Travel policy to cover the extra costs (such as visa, vaccinations, etc.) when the board requests that a representative attends an event on behalf of GNOME Foundation.
- Germán - Will write a template that people who fill out bids can complete that can be made public.
- Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
- Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
- Germán - Will follow up with Murray about Ekaterina (Kat) Gerasimova helping with planning and possible "ack" as a sponsor.
- Jorge - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
- Jorge - Will reach out to Linaro to see if GNOME can more effectively work with them.
Og - Will create a new wiki page to explain the process for handling emails sent to email@example.com.
This was done August 3 and is currently documented here: http://live.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/SecurityIssues
- Og - Will take over from Diego Urrelo the task to work Jonh to determine how Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto Comercial) should send profits to the GNOME Foundation and then work with Ronaldo to finalize arrangements. The Brasilian Free Software Association is likely to help us out here, on the plus side we will also be able to take "boleto" donations.
- A final contract was given to Ronaldo but he seems to be having problems understanding it. Will follow up with him in Portuguese to make sure there is no miscommunication.
- Og - To help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey topics together.
- Og - To help come up with a list of possible speakers.
- My first attempt was to try and get Miguel de Icaza to help me come up with a list but I'm yet to hear from him. Am trying the social media now.
Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.
- Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
- Paul - Will follow up with Germán about the financial data for the Annual Report.
- Paul - Will organize the next GNOME Foundation IRC meeting and create an agenda.
- Paul - Will look into finding contacts for additional GNOME.Asia sponsors.
- Paul - Will work on 2010 Annual Report.
- Paul - To fix the annual report: remove all TM in the GNOME logos, s/GNOME Asia/GNOME.Asia/g, use right font for GNOME logo.
- Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012)
- Paul - To work with Jonathan Blandford for the pants article in the annual report.
- Paul - To mail the URL of the annual report to board for feedback.
- Paul - To talk to Jonh Wendall to see how we can localize Friends of GNOME web site.
- Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
- Paul - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
- Paul - Will send an email to the board to put together an agenda for a GNOME IRC meeting.
- Paul - To make sure Board members have access to the Foundation blog.
- Paul - Will create a board-mentor mailing list.
- Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to vote by.
Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.
- Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
- Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the bank to continue process.
- Rosanna - To find out how many donations The GNOME Foundation has had from Brazil in the past year by month.
- Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive responses.
- Stormy - To follow up with Orbitz to find out if the GNOME Foundation can pre-purchase travel tickets. Tried to contact them several times. Exchanged emails to set up a time - they didn't respond to availability.
- Stormy - To add advisory board member roles to wiki.
- Stormy - To add the information she got about opening nonprofits in other countries to the wiki.
- Stormy - To follow up with Friends of GNOME post card senders to make sure they have sent them.
Stormy - Will follow up the GULEV Free & Open Source Software Conference 2010 organizers and provide them with a list of potential GNOME speakers in Mexico. Waiting on Og for the list.
New Action Items
- Andreas - To reach out to Ekaterina (Kat) Gerasimova to see if she wants to be the GNOME representative for the 2011 Desktop Summit and, if so, to invite her to the Desktop Summit meeting.
- Bastien - Emailing with Nokia and GTK+/XI2 maintainers to further detail out the proposal of how to spend the money provided by Nokia. Major issues include the bug discussed on d-d-l and touch framework. Bastien gathering more information currently.
- Bastien - To talk to sysadmins about the GNOME IRC meeting, follow-up on Sept 16th.
- Brian - Will follow up with the a11y team to help address communication issues.
- Emily - To create list of everyone who requested money in 2010. Emily will contact them and ask about their plans for 2011.
- Og - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task.
- Stormy: have I missed an email from you with your suggestions?
- Paul - To start brainstorming for the GNOME IRC meeting.
- Stormy - To attend the next ally meeting to help figure out how to proceed with some opportunities.
Discussed on the mailing list
- The board is collecting feedback about the GUADEC 2010 event in Den Haag with plans to compile this information to assist future organizers.
- Planning for a Berlin Desktop Summit 2011 Kick-off meeting. Currently working to schedule good dates for the meeting which will likely be held in late September.
- The Desktop Summit 2011 local team had a meeting on August 28
- The GNOME Travel Committee reported an estimate of $17,726 (USD) to cover the travel costs for about 12 people to attend the GNOME AEGIS A11Y Hackfest in Seville, Spain (October).
- Ryan Lortie proposed hotel costs for the GTK+ hackfest in Coruña (October 18-22) will be €2-3000 and travel is being sponsored by attendees/companies. Still talking to potential sponsors.
Jonh Wendell informed the board that expected travel costs for the 7º Forum GNOME event in Natal, Brasil (November 5-6th) will be $4468.24 (USD). This event will be co-hosted with ENSL (http://www.ensl.org.br/).
- Jonh Wendell provided the board with a contract from the ASL (Brasilian Free Software Association) to accept Brazilian funds in boletos for a fee for review.
- The GNOME Foundation is considering spending $2,500 to hire Ryan Singer to assist with putting together the GNOME 3 marketing materials.
- Continuing to move forward with the sysadmin interview process.
- Discussion about possible topics for having a hackfest. Both Dave Richards (City of Largo) and Daniel Siegel (Bolzano) are willing to host a hackfest.
- Discussion about the GNOME Foundation board member mentoring program that Emily is organizing.
- Stormy started a discussion about running a survey to collect information from Foundation members about prioritizing GNOME Foundation goals.
- Discussion about improving communication in the GNOME a11y team.
- Discussion about setting up a Taiwan GNOME User's Group.