Minutes for Meeting of August 19th, 2010
- September 2nd, 2010
- Andreas Nilsson
- Bastien Nocera
- Og Maciel (late)
- Paul Cutler
- Rosanna Yuen
- Stormy Peters
- Brian Cameron (GNOME.Asia)
- Emily Chen (GNOME.Asia)
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Review past action items.
- Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
- Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
- Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
- Update foundation.gnome.org website.
- Annual Report
- Daniel Galleguillos needs some feedback. Andreas will look at it right after the meeting.
ACTION: Andreas will get feedback for the Annual Report for Daniel Galleguillos.
- Daniel Galleguillos needs some feedback. Andreas will look at it right after the meeting.
- 2010 Q2 GNOME Quarterly Report Update
- All reports now in! Just need to put in format; Vinicius Depizzol will help. Hope to be done by Monday.
- Fiscal Year Budgeting Process.
- Been discussing process. First step is to reach out to local user groups. About to kick off process. Everyone needs to help - cannot be all German.
- GNOME IRC Meeting
- Define topics. Paul Cutler will start a brainstorming process for the topics.
- Boston Summit
- Fees for the venue. The organizers are working on getting free rooms. John (J5) Palmieri has pinged them every week or so and we have not heard back in a while.
- GTK+ and WebKitGTK+
- Both are a go.
- Do they need funding? Have they done fundraising?
ACTION: Andreas will find out if the GTK+ and WebKitGTK+ Hackfests need help fundraising.
- Developer Docs. Looks good now with goals and lots of good attendees.
- Dave Richards from the City of Largo would like to host a hackfest at the Boston Summit. He is particularly interested in something around thin clients.
ACTION: Bastien will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo to plan for a hackfest there.
- Board mentors for hackfest organizers idea.
ACTION: Stormy will ask Diego Urrelo if he would like to continue to work on the board mentors for hackfest organizers idea.
- GTK+ and WebKitGTK+
- Nokia Proposal
We met with Nokia to discuss Bastien's proposal: use $50,000 to contract out work to make GTK+ et al work on the platform. They were in agreement. Bastien is now writing up a call for bids. MeeGo might be interested in helping with events around underlying technologies.
ACTION: Bastien to write up a call for bids for Nokia proposal, and discuss the technology with people from Nokia.
- GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal
- Discussion with membership.
- Emails sent to foundation-list, but not much response. Should we run another survey?
- We want to do another survey for sure (keep questions simple)
ACTION: Og to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey topics together
ACTION: Stormy to share feedback on how to build the questions for the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey.
- Advisory Board fees for small businesses
ACTION: Paul will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to vote by.
- Initial Marketing Contract
- Please vote. Any questions?
- security@ being an alias for board-list
- Followed up, just need to "do it" (security@ or release-team-private@ ?)
- GNOME IRC Meeting
Schedule next (no Q&A at AGM)
- Mentoring new board members program
Create a mail list like: email@example.com ? (Pending to Paul)
- Collect mentor wish list from mentees.
- Marketing arrangement for Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto Comercial) to sell GNOME branded merchandise in Brazil.
- Email was sent to Ronaldo but he has not replied. Og will follow up.
GnuCash - status
Latest GnuCash file updated on July 19th by Rosanna. Still need automation help!!
- Pre-purchasing tickets via a service like Orbitz.
- Stormy thinks they are really not interested as they randomly return calls and never agree on a time to meet. Other ideas for companies that might do this for us? What services do your companies use? (HP used Carson Wagonlite or something like that).
- Red Hat uses AMEX.
- Will check what rPath uses. (Og)
GULEV Free & Open Source Software Conference 2010" (GFOSSCon) to be held in Cancún MX, from November 17 to 19, 2010.
ACTION: Og to help come up with a list of possible speakers.
- GNOME Trademarks
- TM can claim without formal registration
- Do we want a (R) registered trademark on the correct GNOME foot / logo?
- GNOME foot (old) has a registered trademark
- French website
ACTION: Bastien to send the French website a follow-up email about GNOME Trademarks
- Andreas - Follow up with Vincent about the copyright assignments policy.
- Brian - Will track progress of GNOME.Asia event organization.
- Emily - Will work with Rosanna on on transferring the money to GNOME.Asia.
- Paul - Will reschedule the GNOME Foundation IRC meeting. - Scheduled for July 10th @ 14:00 UTC
- Paul - Will talk to the sysadmin team about setting up a gobby server for the GNOME Foundation board to use for minute taking.
- Stormy - Set up a Euro (€) bank account. This is on hold for now. Talked to SFLC about setting up a European nonprofit as an option. Not something we need to do now. Bastien is going to look at other options too.
- Stormy - To follow up with the Advisory Board about acquiring a second machine. Email sent, but no response yet. If we want one, we should buy one at this point.
- Stormy - To send Bastien contact details for Nokia Advisory Board.
- Stormy - Will ask Diego Urrelo if he would like to continue to work on the board mentors for hackfest organizers idea. This new action was done after the meeting.
- Stormy - To share feedback on how to build the questions for the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey. This new action item was done after the meeting.
- Vincent - To contact Murray Cumming for a person to look over the Berlin Desktop Summit organization.
- Vincent - To mail KDE eV board to tell about our vote for Desktop Summit.
- Vincent - To update the foundation page about advisory board fees for non-profits.
- Vincent - To talk to previous board members to see if they want to participate in mentoring new board members.
- Germán - To write a list of demands and details for the Berlin Desktop Summit bid (discussion about the dates, etc.). This activity was proposed only if there was time available, but there was not.
- Germán - Will talk with the GUADEC organizers to find out what happened as a result of the discussion about the terms and conditions.
- Stormy - Will write a proposal how to spend the money from Nokia to improve GNOME mobility based on discussion. Bastien is doing some research on this. (Bastien is doing this.)
Status of action items
- Andreas - Follow up with Vincent about creating a Philosophy page on the GNOME Wiki.
Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more public.
- Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back to Texas Instruments.
- Bastien - Will help Stormy identify some opportunities how to best use the money provided by Nokia.
Bastien - To discuss technical Nokia plans with regards to MeeGo for Handsets.
- Bastien - To contact some international banks for the possibility of a US-based dual-currency account (probably will not work, as Stormy already did research.
- Bastien - To find contacts at HP who are working on GNOME with Palm OS.
- Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from Diego (hopefully he can automate it).
- Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email it to the board.
- Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
- Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
- Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
- Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
Bastien - Will investigate whether firstname.lastname@example.org should be sent to release team instead of the board.
- Bastien - Will ask for feedback about GUADEC on gnome-foundation list.
- Bastien - Will create private Wiki page to sort ideas about how to better organize events like GUADEC.
- Bastien - Will touch base with Gil Forcada and Luis Villa and add their feedback about GUADEC.
- Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME legal team.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- Diego - Will send an updated "Día GNOME" article for the Annual Report.
- Emily - To write a proposal for new board members mentoring program.
- Germán - Will share the financial data that was provided to the advisory board to foundation-list.
Germán - Will follow up with Shaun McCance about how the board can help with his proposal for funding developer documentation. ONGOING: There will be a BOF on Developer Documentation at GUADEC + further conversation with Shaun McCance might help to clarify what would be needed.
- Germán - Will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the Annual Report.
- Germán - Will update the Travel policy to cover the extra costs (such as visa, vaccinations, etc.) when the board requests that a representative attends an event on behalf of GNOME Foundation.
- Germán - Will write a template that people who fill out bids can complete that can be made public.
- Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
- Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
- Germán - Will follow up with Murray about Ekaterina (Kat) Gerasimova helping with planning and possible "ack" as a sponsor.
- Jorge - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
- Jorge - Will reach out to Linaro to see if GNOME can more effectively work with them.
Og - Will create a new wiki page to explain the process for handling emails sent to email@example.com.
- Og - Will take over from Diego the task to work Jonh to determine how Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto Comercial) should send profits to the GNOME Foundation and then work with Ronaldo to finalize arrangements. The Brasilian Free Software Association is likely to help us out here, on the plus side we will also be able to take "boleto" donations.
Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.
- Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
- Paul - Will follow up with Germán about the financial data for the Annual Report.
- Paul - Will organize the next GNOME Foundation IRC meeting and create an agenda.
- Paul - Will look into finding contacts for additional GNOME.Asia sponsors.
- Paul - Will work on 2010 Annual Report.
- Paul - To fix the annual report: remove all TM in the GNOME logos, s/GNOME Asia/GNOME.Asia/g, use right font for GNOME logo.
- Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012)
- Paul - To work with Jonathan Blandford for the pants article in the annual report.
- Paul - To mail the URL of the annual report to board for feedback.
- Paul - To talk to Jonh Wendall to see how we can localize Friends of GNOME web site.
- Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
- Paul - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
- Paul - Will send an email to the board to put together an agenda for a GNOME IRC meeting.
- Paul - To make sure Board members have access to the Foundation blog.
- Paul - Will create a board-mentor mailing list.
Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.
- Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
- Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the bank to continue process.
- Rosanna - To find out how many donations The GNOME Foundation has had from Brazil in the past year by month.
- Ryan - To ask on gtk-devel-list for a quick estimate of costs (trip/dates) for the GTK+ hackfest.
- Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive responses.
- Stormy - To follow up with Orbitz to find out if the GNOME Foundation can pre-purchase travel tickets. Tried to contact them several times. Exchanged emails to set up a time - they didn't respond to availability.
- Stormy - To work with John (J5) Palmieri to renegotiate the costs for the Boston Summit.
- Stormy - To add advisory board member roles to wiki.
- Stormy - To add the information she got about opening nonprofits in other countries to the wiki.
- Stormy - To follow up with Friends of GNOME post card senders to make sure they have sent them.
Stormy - Will follow up the GULEV Free & Open Source Software Conference 2010 organizers and provide them with a list of potential GNOME speakers in Mexico. Waiting on Og for the list.
New Action Items
- Andreas - Will get feedback for the Annual Report for Daniel Galleguillos.
- Andreas - Will find out if the GTK+ and WebKitGTK+ Hackfests need help fundraising.
- Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo to plan for a hackfest there.
- Bastien - To send the French website a follow-up email about GNOME Trademarks.
- Bastien - To write up a call for bids for Nokia proposal, and discuss the technology with people from Nokia.
- Emily - Will provide the necessary information and help for them to build a users group in Taipei.
- Emily- For Women's program, Emily will introduce the local leader to Marina Zhurakhinskaya.
- Og - To help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey topics together.
- Og - To help come up with a list of possible speakers.
- Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to vote by.
- Stormy - Will ask Diego Urrelo if he would like to continue to work on the board mentors for hackfest organizers idea.
- Stormy - To share feedback on how to build the questions for the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey.
Discussed on the mailing list
- Planning meetings with the Berlin organizers and KDE board to plan for the Desktop Summit 2011.
- Planning for the GTK+ hackfest in Coruña (October 18-22).
- Discussion about sending Stormy to an upcoming GNOME event in Latin America since she has not yet traveled there.
- Discussion about having a hackfest in Bolzano, Italy. Needing to identify a good topic.
Discussion about how to best direct firstname.lastname@example.org. To the board or to the release team?
- Discussion about improving the GNOME Foundation By Laws.
- Discussion about the GNOME Foundation board member mentoring program that Emily is organizing.
Pushing forward with System Administrator interview & hiring process.
- So far the "Free Agent" t-shirt has made €932.40, but cost €1051.13 to print. Brian plans to sell more at the Boston Summit to recoup remaining cost.
- Brian has been working with Stormy so she can receive NIAC training classes.
- Discussion about possibly subcontracting some GNOME marketing work.
- The GNOME Foundation received a request for a GIMP LMG Reimbursement from Michael Schumacher.
- Polk State College (PSC) and University of South Florida Polytechnic (USFP) are collaborating in a joint project and are interested in having their students study GNOME related projects.
- Bastien set up the GUADEC Feedback page: