Minutes for Meeting of August 5th, 2010
- August 19th, 2010
- Andreas Nilsson
- Bastien Nocera
- Brian Cameron
- Emily Chen
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Paul Cutler
- Rosanna Yuen
- Og Maciel
- Stormy Peters
- Review past action items.
- Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
- Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
- Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
- Update foundation.gnome.org website.
- Reassigning action items from previous board members.
- Paul will take over the action guifi.net action item.
- Paul will take over the Code of Conduct action item.
- Andreas will follow up with Vincent to find out the status Philosophy, Copyright Assignment task.
- Brian will follow up with who can present GNOME in Cancún.
firstname.lastname@example.org being an alias for board-list
ACTION: Bastien will investigate whether email@example.com should be sent to the release team instead of the board.
- Scheduling the next GNOME IRC Meeting
- Process for setting up an IRC meeting
- Create an agenda / Ask for feedback from the community.
- Pick a time zone. The time of the meeting is rotated so that people from different time zones can attend meetings more easily.
- Email the foundation list, blog about it, send an email before the event.
- Remember to the Board members they should be present as much as possible.
- It was suggested that perhaps we should rotate the responsibility of managing the IRC meeting.
- The board will discuss this on the mailing list and set up an agenda.
ACTION: Paul will send an email to the board to put together an agenda for a GNOME IRC meeting.
- Process for setting up an IRC meeting
ACTION: Paul to make sure Board members have access to the Foundation blog.
- GNOME Advisory Board Meeting Update
ACTION: Andreas will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more public.
- There were remaining posters and Brian shipped them at a cost of $100 which will be reimbursed.
- The board will create a Wiki page with tips to better manage GUADEC/event planning in the future. The Wiki will start as a private Wiki page and will be made more public when it is fleshed out.
ACTION: Bastien will ask for feedback about GUADEC on the gnome-foundation list.
ACTION: Bastien will create private Wiki page to sort ideas about how to better organize events like GUADEC.
ACTION: Bastien will touch base with Gil Forcada and Luis Villa and add their feedback about GUADEC.
- Board roles (chairman, secretary, treasurer, etc.)
- The board voted and approved the following roles:
- Paul - Chairman
- Andreas - Vice-Chairman
- Germán - Treasurer
- Emily - Vice Treasurer
- Brian - Secretary
- Og - Vice Secretary
- The board voted and approved the following roles:
- Mentoring new board members program
- Create a wiki page
Create a mail list like: firstname.lastname@example.org
ACTION: Paul will create a board-mentor mailing list.
- The new members on the board would prefer a more formal mentor / mentee relationship.
- GNOME.Asia Summit (August 14-15)
- Wire the $9,225 (USD) funds to Taiwan account.
ACTION: Emily will work with Rosanna on on transferring the money to GNOME.Asia.
Desktop Summit 2011: Berlin - Ekaterina (Kat) Gerasimova @ OpenIsmus
ACTION: Germán will follow up with Murray about Kat helping with planning and possible "ack" as a sponsor.
- Free Agent t-shirt. (Update from GUADEC)
- Shirts were sold for €20 and given to volunteers (such as the local volunteer organizers) for free.
- About 50 of the 100 were distributed.
- The GNOME Foundation made €700, but the costs to print the t-shirts were €1,050.
- Brian has the remaining t-shirts and he will try to sell them at GNOME.Asia and Boston Summit.
- Once we start getting revenues we can discuss what we would do with the revenue.
- 2010 Q2 GNOME Quarterly Report Update
- Will publish when Stormy gets back from vacation.
- Annual Report update
- Need help getting photos inserted into the document.
- "Ready for GNOME 3"
- This is a self-certification program to certify 3rd party applications as being GNOME ready.
- Postponed until the end of the year (in sync with GNOME 3.0 release).
- Would make sense to launch this when GTK+ 3 is released.
- Andreas - To buy the GNOME Thank You Pants.
- Brian/Germán - Will give the GNOME Foundation update at the AGM.
- Diego - To discuss to see if their is interest in having an overlapping GTK+ and WebKitGTK+ Hackfest.
- Diego - To send an email to board-list to pass on the internal-review-process hat
- Emily - To mail the list about final GNOME.Asia financial situation so that the board can make budget decisions.
- Paul - Will collect and MC the GUADEC AGM meeting.
- Stormy - Will discuss GNOME.Asia sponsorship at the GUADEC advisory board meeting.
- Stormy - To ask for slides from advisory board members so that we can put them all on one laptop for the GUADEC Advisory Board meeting.
- Stormy - Will follow up with all the teams for updates for the GUADEC AGM meeting. Would be good to provide information about 2-3 items which highlight how things are going well, and 2-3 areas where help is needed or things could be improved.
- Vincent - To send mail with list of candidates for the GNOME Thank You Pants and push for a decision.
- All board members - Plan to join the "Open Desktop Day" at GUADEC on Monday for the networking at 10:30am, 12:30am, and 3:00pm.
- All board members - Review the Annual Report before returning home from GUADEC.
Status of action items
- Andreas - Follow up with Vincent about the copyright assignments policy.
- Andreas - Follow up with Vincent about creating a Philosophy page on the GNOME Wiki.
- Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back to Texas Instruments.
- Bastien - Will help Stormy identify some opportunities how to best use the money provided by Nokia.
Bastien - To discuss technical Nokia plans with regards to MeeGo for Handsets.
- Bastien - To contact some international banks for the possibility of a US-based dual-currency account (probably will not work, as Stormy already did research.
- Bastien - To find contacts at HP who are working on GNOME with Palm OS.
- Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from Diego (hopefully he can automate it).
- Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email it to the board.
- Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
- Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
- Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
- Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
- Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME legal team.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- Brian - Will track progress of GNOME.Asia event organization.
- Diego - Will send an updated "Día GNOME" article for the Annual Report.
- Emily - To write a proposal for new board members mentoring program.
- Germán - Will share the financial data that was provided to the advisory board to foundation-list.
Germán - Will follow up with Shaun McCance about how the board can help with his proposal for funding developer documentation. ONGOING: There will be a BOF on Developer Documentation at GUADEC + further conversation with Shaun might help to clarify what would be needed.
- Germán - Will talk with the GUADEC organizers to find out what happened as a result of the discussion about the terms and conditions.
- Germán - Will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the Annual Report.
- Germán - Will update the Travel policy to cover the extra costs (such as visa, vaccinations, etc.) when the board requests that a representative attends an event on behalf of GNOME Foundation.
- Germán - Will write a template that people who fill out bids can complete that can be made public.
- Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
- Germán - To write a list of demands and details for the Berlin Desktop Summit bid (discussion about the dates, etc.).
- Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
- Jorge - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
- Jorge - Will reach out to Linaro to see if GNOME can more effectively work with them.
Og - Will create a new wiki page to explain the process for handling emails sent to email@example.com.
- Og - Will take over from Diego the task to work Jonh to determine how Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto Comercial) should send profits to the GNOME Foundation and then work with Ronaldo to finalize arrangements. The Brasilian Free Software Association is likely to help us out here, on the plus side we will also be able to take "boleto" donations.
Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad.
- Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
- Paul - Will follow up with Germán about the financial data for the Annual Report.
- Paul - Will talk to the sysadmin team about setting up a gobby server for the GNOME Foundation board to use for minute taking. - In progress - waiting for external IP from Red Hat for new VM
- Paul - Will organize the next GNOME Foundation IRC meeting and create an agenda.
- Paul - Will look into finding contacts for additional GNOME.Asia sponsors.
- Paul - Will work on 2010 Annual Report.
- Paul - To fix the annual report: remove all TM in the GNOME logos, s/GNOME Asia/GNOME.Asia/g, use right font for GNOME logo.
- Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012)
- Paul - To work with Jonathan Blandford for the pants article in the annual report.
- Paul - To mail the URL of the annual report to board for feedback.
- Paul - To talk to Jonh Wendall to see how we can localize Friends of GNOME web site.
- Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
- Paul - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad.
- Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
- Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the bank to continue process.
- Rosanna - To find out how many donations The GNOME Foundation has had from Brazil in the past year by month.
- Ryan - To ask on gtk-devel-list for a quick estimate of costs (trip/dates) for the GTK+ hackfest.
- Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive responses. Hoping to meet at GUADEC.
- Stormy - To follow up with the Advisory Board about acquiring a second machine. Email sent, but no response yet.
- Stormy - Set up a Euro bank account. This is on hold for now. Talked to SFLC about setting up a European nonprofit as an option. Not something we need to do now.
- Stormy - To follow up with Orbitz to find out if the GNOME Foundation can pre-purchase travel tickets. Tried to contact them several times. Exchanged emails to set up a time - they didn't respond to availability.
- Stormy - Will write a proposal how to spend the money from Nokia to improve GNOME mobility based on discussion. Bastien is doing some research on this.
- Stormy - To work with John (J5) Palmieri to renegotiate the costs for the Boston Summit.
- Stormy - To send Bastien contact details for Nokia Advisory Board.
- Stormy - To add advisory board member roles to wiki.
- Stormy - To add the information she got about opening nonprofits in other countries to the wiki.
- Stormy - To follow up with Friends of GNOME post card senders to make sure they have sent them.
Stormy/Brian - Will follow up the GULEV Free & Open Source Software Conference 2010 organizers and provide them with a list of potential GNOME speakers in Mexico.
- Vincent - To contact Murray Cumming for a person to look over the Berlin Desktop Summit organization.
- Vincent - To mail KDE eV board to tell about our vote for Desktop Summit.
- Vincent - To update the foundation page about advisory board fees for non-profits.
- Vincent - To talk to previous board members to see if they want to participate in mentoring new board members.
New Action Items
Andreas will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more public.
Bastien will investigate whether firstname.lastname@example.org should be sent to release team instead of the board.
- Bastien will ask for feedback about GUADEC on gnome-foundation list.
- Bastien will create private Wiki page to sort ideas about how to better organize events like GUADEC.
- Bastien will touch base with Gil Forcada and Luis Villa and add their feedback about GUADEC.
- Emily will work with Rosanna on on transferring the money to GNOME.Asia.
- Germán will follow up with Murray about Ekaterina (Kat) Gerasimova helping with planning and possible "ack" as a sponsor.
- Paul will send an email to the board to put together an agenda for a GNOME IRC meeting.
- Paul to make sure Board members have access to the Foundation blog.
- Paul will create a board-mentor mailing list.
Discussed on the mailing list
- Press release finished to announce that the Desktop Summit will be held in Berlin, Germany.
- Transfer from the old board to the new board.
- Discussion about who will serve as officers on the board.
- The GNOME release team decided that GNOME 3 will not be released until March. This was announced at GUADEC.
The LiMo Foundation will become a member of the GNOME Foundation’s Advisory Board and the GNOME Foundation will become an Industry Liaison Partner for the LiMo Foundation.
- Discussion about organizing and running GUADEC smoothly.
Discussion about how the email@example.com mailing list should be handled.
- Planning for the GTK+ hackfest in Coruña (October 18-22).
- Planning for the Documentation and Tools Hackfest in Berlin (December 2nd-5th).
- Ongoing discussion between the GNOME and KDE boards about selecting a bid for the Desktop Summit 2011.
- Ekaterina (Kat) Gerasimova from Openismus has offered to help with the Desktop Summit 2011 planning.
- Bastien suggested ways to improve the GNOME Mobile website:
- Negotiations with Ronaldo Padula from Loja Geek regarding them selling GNOME merchandise.
- Discussion about the GNOME Foundation board member mentoring program that Emily is organizing.
- Matthias Warkus requested a written acknowledgment of work done for the GNOME community. This was provided.