Minutes for Meeting of July 25, 2010
- August 5th, 2010
- Andreas Nilsson (late)
- Bastien Nocera
- Brian Cameron
- Diego Escalante Urrelo
- Emily Chen
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Paul Cutler
- Rosanna Yuen
- Srini Ragavan
- Stormy Peters
- Vincent Untz
- Og Maciel
- Jorge Castro
- Review past action items.
- Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
- Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
- Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
- Update foundation.gnome.org website.
- GNOME Foundation Goals for next year
- Board Member Personal Goals:
- GNOME 3.0 launch success (oversight, communication), marketing, documentation, sysadmin.
- Make the board more transparent and organized.
- Work with James Vasile on merchandising, the employee handbook and other legal matters.
- Continue to work to make the Foundation website a more useful resource for getting things done and collaborating.
- Define the role of The GNOME Foundation and promote GNOME in the developing world, usability, a11y.
- Keep the budget in order and updated every month.
- Grow GNOME in Asia, fundraising, Friends of GNOME.
- Find new ways to collaborate with Yahoo, Nokia, Intel, etc. and work to build new revenue streams.
Focus on GNOME Mobile (see where MeeGo is going) and work with vendors to acquire more development hardware.
- Encourage new contributors into the GNOME project and make it an interesting place to participate.
- Make GNOME work better with the kernel and distributions.
- Focus on promotion and telling the world about the cool stuff we are doing.
- Get more involved with the accessibility team and find ways to help them achieve their goals.
- Continue working with the GNOME Translation Project crew and find ways to get more quality translations and new contributors to the next release.
- Acknowledge those who have contributed to the success of GNOME doing non-coding tasks by promoting them with blog posts and awards.
- Foundation Wide Goals:
- Successful launch of GNOME 3.0.
- Promote GNOME in the developing world.
- Develop GNOME Mobile.
- Maintaining the GNOME Brand and Trademark.
- Grow the GNOME user base..
- Develop more active local groups (work to get them more involved with upstream, revive gugmasters-list).
- Develop a well defined roadmap that both companies and community are behind.
- Business development, partnerships.
- Run surveys to help prioritize GNOME Foundation goals.
- Board Member Personal Goals:
- GUADEC (July 26-30)
- "Open Desktop Day" at GUADEC on Monday.
- Starts at 10:30am and lasts until about 4pm.
- Stormy will do a kickoff presentation followed by community presentations.
ACTION: All board members should plan to join the "Open Desktop Day" at GUADEC on Monday for the networking at 10:30am, 12:30am, and 3:00pm.
- Advisory Board Meeting at GUADEC on Tuesday.
- Discussion about planning, preparation, and organizing the agenda.
ACTION: Stormy to ask for slides from advisory board members so that we can put them all on one laptop for the GUADEC Advisory Board meeting.
ACTION: Vincent to update the foundation page about advisory board fees for non-profits.
- AGM Meeting at GUADEC on Thursday.
- Need to get GNOME teams updates on time.
- The AGM is a good opportunity to let people know how to help, get more feedback on GNOME 3, developing world, our goals, etc, so we need the GNOME Foundation membership to get more involved.
- Issues with communication on the foundation mailing list are being handled by the board and we are working to improve things. We need the community to make more of an effort to stay on-topic.
ACTION: Stormy will follow up with all the teams for updates for the GUADEC AGM meeting. Would be good to provide information about 2-3 items which highlight how things are going well, and 2-3 areas where help is needed or things could be improved.
ACTION: Paul will collect slides and MC the GUADEC AGM meeting.
ACTION: Brian/Germán will give the GNOME Foundation update at the AGM.
ACTION: Stormy to add advisory board member roles to wiki.
- "Open Desktop Day" at GUADEC on Monday.
- GNOME.Asia (August 14-15)
$5,000 raised from sponsors (Google & Oracle).
- $1,202 saved from last year.
- $5,800 approved by the board from travel budget, seeking an additional $4,000.
- GNOME.Asia was sponsored for $30,000 in 2008 and $5,000 this year. Why is this? One problem is that the GNOME.Asia organizers did not have a local team in Taiwan to help with finding local sponsors. Also perhaps sponsors are providing less money with advisory board fees increasing this year.
- The board approved (+4 votes, Emily abstained) paying an additional $4,000 plus the travel sponsorship for GNOME.Asia.
- The board recommended scaling GNOME.Asia back next year so it better fits within a budget.
ACTION: Stormy will discuss GNOME.Asia sponsorship at the GUADEC advisory board meeting.
ACTION: Paul will look into finding contacts for additional GNOME.Asia sponsors.
- Desktop Summit 2011 bids
- Two bids were received: Istanbul and Berlin (two additional bids were dropped during the review process).
- Istanbul - While an interesting bid, this bid lacked a local team with strong connections to GNOME or KDE. Also GUADEC was recently held at this location, so perhaps this bid would be a better opportunity for a future Akademy event.
- Berlin - Solid, venue confirmed, support from the city, both the GNOME and KDE communities have a strong local presence. The only concern is that the available date is August which is close to a GNOME release.
- The GNOME and KDE boards interviewed the two bids. Vincent attended both interviews and Brian attended the Berlin interview.
- The board voted and approved the Berlin bid with +5 votes.
ACTION: Germán to write a list of demands and details for the Berlin Desktop Summit bid (discussion about the dates, etc.).
ACTION: Vincent to contact Murray Cumming for a person to look over the Berlin Desktop Summit organization.
ACTION: Vincent to mail KDE eV board to tell about our vote for Desktop Summit.
- Two bids were received: Istanbul and Berlin (two additional bids were dropped during the review process).
- GTK+ hackfest in Coruña (October 18-22)
- Igalia agreed tentatively to host the hackfest.
- Around 12 or 20 people are planned to attend.
- October would work for 10 people to participate. This may be too close to Boston Summit and The Plumbers Conference. Should we consider having the hackfest in Boston at the same time as The Boston Summit?
- Would be useful to start planning for GTK+ 3.x after GNOME 3.0 is out.
- The Board supports the idea of a hackfest if GTK+ team is interested.
ACTION: Ryan to ask on gtk-devel-list for a quick estimate of costs (trip/dates) for the GTK+ hackfest.
- WebKitGTK+ hackfest in Coruña (December 5-12)
- Last year's WebKitGT+ hackfest cost $9,180.59.
- Igalia is willing to help with sponsorship.
- Collabora may be interested in sponsoring
- 12 people are planning to attend.
- Is it possible to hold the GTK+ and Webkit hackfests together?
- The board would like to see a more concrete agenda and goals.
ACTION: Diego to discuss to see if their is interest in having an overlapping GTK+ and WebKitGTK+ Hackfest.
- AEGIS/Accessibility Hackfest at Seville (October 3-9)
- Alejandro Piñeiro (API) gave a presentation about the upcoming hackfest opportunity and the need to find budget to cover travel sponsorships.
- The GNOME Foundation should plan to do a fundraising campaign for accessibility.
- We need a final budget for this hackfest before deciding, but the board would like to see this hackfest happen.
- Some local organization (ONCE for example) might be able to help with sponsorship.
- GUADEC (July 26-30)
- 2009 Annual Report
- The 2009 Annual Report is done except for graphs for the financial sections, adding photos, and some small edits.
- Planning to have the report ready in August.
- Jonathan Blandford has agreed to help compose the article about the "Thank You Pants".
ACTION: Paul to mail the URL of the annual report to board for feedback.
ACTION: All board members review the Annual Report before returning home from GUADEC.
ACTION: Diego will send an updated "Día GNOME" article for the Annual Report.
ACTION: Paul will work on 2010 Annual Report.
ACTION: Paul to fix the annual report: remove all TM in the GNOME logos, s/GNOME Asia/GNOME.Asia/g, use right font for GNOME logo.
- Next year plan to switch the Annual Report so it is coordinated with the fiscal year.
ACTION: Paul to start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012)
- Sysadmin Hiring Update
- Brad Taylor and Bradley Kuhn have done first rounds of interviews and sent feedback. Waiting for Jonathan Blandford's interview feedback.
- Second round will happen soon...
- Bank Account in Euros (€)
- It has been a long-standing action item to set up a bank account in Euros.
- The benefit would be to collect money in Euros and to reimburse people without needing to pay transfer fees. The GNOME Foundation pays over $1,000 per year on such fees.
- Do the costs of setting up such an account outweigh the fees?
- To set up such an account, The GNOME Foundation will likely need to set up a non-profit legal entity and a bank account in Europe, or find an organization to help manage this.
- Perhaps making an arrangement with GNOME Hispano might be possible. Need to consider tax and accounting issues and whether a separate bank account would be needed.
- Currently working with Jonh Wendall to consider using The Brasilian Free Software Association to accept Brazilian funds in boletos for a fee.
ACTION: Bastien to contact some international banks for the possibility of a US-based dual-currency account (probably will not work, as Stormy already did research.
ACTION: Germán to discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
ACTION: Stormy to add the information she got about opening nonprofits in other countries to the wiki.
- GNOME Mobile work funded by Nokia.
- If Nokia continued with Maemo 5, then we could just port GNOME apps and they would likely just work.
- With Maemo 6 and Moblin neither Qt nor GTK+ apps just work.
- The board is considering funding making Maemo 6 integrate more nicely with GTK+.
ACTION: Bastien to discuss technical Nokia plans with regards to MeeGo for Handsets.
ACTION: Stormy to send Bastien contact details for Nokia Advisory Board.
- HP using GNOME with PalmOS
ACTION: Bastien to find contacts at HP who are working on GNOME with Palm OS.
ACTION: Bastien to get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
- Yahoo! discussions
- An arrangement with Yahoo could be a good way to get content.
- Bastien is talking with them and we are waiting for news from them.
- Board roles (chairman, secretary, treasurer, etc.).
- Bastien does not want to be anything.
- Brian is happy to stay secretary.
- Germán is happy to stay treasurer.
- Emily is interested in treasurer/vice-treasurer.
- Paul is throwing his name for chairman if Brian doesn't do so.
- Andreas is interested to be vice-chairman.
- Og was potentially interested in secretary, or vice-secretary.
- Internal Review Process
- Way to get feedback from each other on how you are doing.
- Send out email letting board members know to start the process.
- All board members send an email to the board-list highlighting work they have done in the review period.
- Board members fill out the survey for other board members.
- Export survey results, email them to board.
ACTION: Bastien will take over the internal review process task from Diego (hopefully he can automate it).
ACTION: Bastien to find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email it to the board.
- Stormy's "manager"
- Brian has been doing this, and is happy to continue. Board is happy to have Brian do this.
- This involves a 1-to-1 meeting every two weeks, usually about an hour long.
- Lead the review process, and putting together Stormy's goals.
- Next review starts at the end of September.
- We might want to involve the previous board members.
- Board needs to be more active to make sure all this happens in time.
- Mentoring new board members?
- Lots of old board members who will most probably agree to help/chat/etc.
- Emily has some experience with a mentorship program at Sun/Oracle.
- A good way to start for new board members is to get assigned small/easy tasks.
- New board members could interview potential mentors.
- There is no "old board members" mailing list because there is a risk too much private discussion could happen there (instead of on foundation-list). The rationale for such a mailing list was that that'd be an easy way to access knowledge of old board members -- for example, get more details about trademark.
ACTION: Emily will write a proposal for new board members mentoring program.
ACTION: Vincent to talk to previous board members to see if they want to participate in mentoring new board members.
- Money from Brasil? (boleto donations, loja geek)
- Jonh Wendell is negotiating with the organization that collects money for free software.
- Loja Geek will pay us royalties for the GNOME items they sell. They will pay the free software organization directly.
- Risk is that people will give more to local user groups instead of the GNOME Foundation directly. We will evaluate on a case by case basis. Strong local groups are good.
ACTION: Rosanna to find out how many donations The GNOME Foundation has had from Brazil in the past year by month.
ACTION: Germán to track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
- Friends of GNOME Revamp
- New subscription options, new hackers to adopt and confirm previous cards were sent, localized program for Europe/Spain).
- Will do a new campaign, where we target numbers of subscribers (instead of amount of money).
- Would be good to have the Friends of GNOME page translated (at least for Spanish, Chinese, French, etc.).
ACTION: Paul to talk to Jonh Wendell to see how we can localize Friends of GNOME page.
ACTION: Bastien will discuss the use of badges on the Friends of GNOME website (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colours, or PSN badges as on the right of http://www.hadess.net/).
ACTION: Bastien to talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
ACTION: Stormy to follow up with Friends of GNOME post card senders to make sure they have sent them.
- BBC discussions
- Worked with Collabora and Canonical for an Ubuntu specific solution.
- Worked with Codethink for digital television.
- Would like to work upstream with GNOME.
ACTION: Bastien to contact the BBC to ask about interests in working directly with GNOME.
- Banshee Amazon referral
- Stormy is working with Banshee maintainers and Novell to find out how to use the revenues.
- GNOME 3 "seal of approval"
- Porting guide for 3rd party applications (This is what you need to do to make your application work well with GNOME 3).
- 3rd parties could use this seal on their web site and in blog posts. They could use it to show they did the work for GNOME 3.
- Create guidelines, push press releases.
- Self review process.
- Next board meeting:
- Thursday August 5th.
- We will start using Paul's phone conference call number.
- Next advisory board meeting:
- August advisory board meeting is canceled.
- GNOME Pants
- Should we push the previous pants winners more to own the process for nominating new people?
- Will be given at the AGM meeting.
ACTION: Andreas to buy the GNOME Thank You Pants.
ACTION: Vincent to send mail with list of candidates for the GNOME Thank You pants and push for a decision.
- Brian - Will provide to Bastien the feedback received so far about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 devices.
- Brian - To make arrangements to print a run of 100 "Free Agent" t-shirts to have at GUADEC.
- Brian and Paul - Have volunteered to help out with the Desktop Summit 2011 bid interviews.
- Paul - Will send an email update about the Annual Report to the board.
- Stormy - Will mail out the agenda for the GNOME Advisory Board meeting.
Status of action items
- Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back to Texas Instruments.
- Bastien - Will help Stormy identify some opportunities how to best use the money provided by Nokia.
- Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME legal team.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- Brian - Will track progress of GNOME.Asia event organization.
- Diego - Taken over from Stormy. Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
- Diego - To send an email to board-list to pass on the internal-review-process hat
- Emily - To mail the list about final GNOME.Asia financial situation so that the board can make budget decisions.
- Germán - Will share the financial data that was provided to the advisory board to foundation-list.
Germán - Will follow up with Shaun McCance about how the board can help with his proposal for funding developer documentation. ONGOING: There will be a BOF on Developer Documentation at GUADEC + further conversation with Shaun might help to clarify what would be needed.
- Germán - Will talk with the GUADEC organizers to find out what happened as a result of the discussion about the terms and conditions.
- Germán - Will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the Annual Report.
- Germán - Will update the Travel policy to cover the extra costs (such as visa, vaccinations, etc.) when the board requests that a representative attends an event on behalf of GNOME Foundation.
- Germán - Will write a template that people who fill out bids can complete that can be made public.
- Jorge - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
- Jorge - Will reach out to Linaro to see if GNOME can more effectively work with them.
Og - Will create a new wiki page to explain the process for handling emails sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Og - Will take over from Diego the task to work Jonh to determine how Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto Comercial) should send profits to the GNOME Foundation and then work with Ronaldo to finalize arrangements. The Brasilian Free Software Association is likely to help us out here, on the plus side we will also be able to take "boleto" donations.
Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad.
- Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
- Paul - Will follow up with Germán about the financial data for the Annual Report.
- Paul - Will talk to the sysadmin team about setting up a gobby server for the GNOME Foundation board to use for minute taking. - In progress - waiting for external IP from Red Hat for new VM
- Paul - Will organize the next GNOME Foundation IRC meeting and create an agenda.
Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad.
- Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
- Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the bank to continue process.
- Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive responses. Hoping to meet at GUADEC.
- Stormy - To follow up with the Advisory Board about acquiring a second machine. Email sent, but no response yet.
- Stormy - Set up a Euro bank account. This is on hold for now. Talked to SFLC about setting up a European nonprofit as an option. Not something we need to do now.
- Stormy - To follow up with Orbitz to find out if the GNOME Foundation can pre-purchase travel tickets. Tried to contact them several times. Exchanged emails to set up a time - they didn't respond to availability.
- Stormy - Will write a proposal how to spend the money from Nokia to improve GNOME mobility based on discussion. Bastien is doing some research on this.
- Stormy - To work with John (J5) Palmieri to renegotiate the costs for the Boston Summit.
Stormy/Vincent - Will follow up the GULEV Free & Open Source Software Conference 2010 organizers and provide them with a list of potential GNOME speakers in Mexico.
- Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct. BLOCKED: Waiting for Jorge's action on Code of Conduct.
- Vincent - Work with Michael Meeks and Bradley Kuhn on a policy for copyright assignments. ONGOING: just need to announce it.
- Vincent - Create a Philosophy page on the GNOME Wiki. ONGOING: need to solidify the wiki page a bit, asked Luis to work on licensing policy.
Vincent - Will help Stormy collect names of possible speakers for GULEV Free & Open Source Software Conference 2010" (GFOSSCon) to be held in Cancún, MX. ONGOING: didn't get any new names (I was told the organizers could contact the people directly :/)
New Action Items
- Andreas - To buy the GNOME Thank You Pants.
Bastien - To discuss technical Nokia plans with regards to MeeGo for Handsets.
- Bastien - To contact some international banks for the possibility of a US-based dual-currency account (probably will not work, as Stormy already did research.
- Bastien - To find contacts at HP who are working on GNOME with Palm OS.
- Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from Diego (hopefully he can automate it).
- Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email it to the board.
- Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
- Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
- Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
- Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
- Brian/Germán - Will give the GNOME Foundation update at the AGM.
- Diego - Will send an updated "Día GNOME" article for the Annual Report.
- Diego - To discuss to see if their is interest in having an overlapping GTK+ and WebKitGTK+ Hackfest.
- Emily - To write a proposal for new board members mentoring program.
- Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
- Germán - To write a list of demands and details for the Berlin Desktop Summit bid (discussion about the dates, etc.).
- Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
- Paul - Will look into finding contacts for additional GNOME.Asia sponsors.
- Paul - Will work on 2010 Annual Report.
- Paul - To fix the annual report: remove all TM in the GNOME logos, s/GNOME Asia/GNOME.Asia/g, use right font for GNOME logo.
- Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012)
- Paul - Will collect and MC the GUADEC AGM meeting.
- Paul - To work with Jonathan Blandford for the pants article in the annual report.
- Paul - To mail the URL of the annual report to board for feedback.
- Paul - To talk to Jonh Wendall to see how we can localize Friends of GNOME web site.
- Rosanna - To find out how many donations The GNOME Foundation has had from Brazil in the past year by month.
- Ryan - To ask on gtk-devel-list for a quick estimate of costs (trip/dates) for the GTK+ hackfest.
- Stormy - Will discuss GNOME.Asia sponsorship at the GUADEC advisory board meeting.
- Stormy - To ask for slides from advisory board members so that we can put them all on one laptop for the GUADEC Advisory Board meeting.
- Stormy - Will follow up with all the teams for updates for the GUADEC AGM meeting. Would be good to provide information about 2-3 items which highlight how things are going well, and 2-3 areas where help is needed or things could be improved.
- Stormy - To send Bastien contact details for Nokia Advisory Board.
- Stormy - To add advisory board member roles to wiki.
- Stormy - To add the information she got about opening nonprofits in other countries to the wiki.
- Stormy - To follow up with Friends of GNOME post card senders to make sure they have sent them.
- Vincent - To contact Murray Cumming for a person to look over the Berlin Desktop Summit organization.
- Vincent - To mail KDE eV board to tell about our vote for Desktop Summit.
- Vincent - To update the foundation page about advisory board fees for non-profits.
- Vincent - To talk to previous board members to see if they want to participate in mentoring new board members.
- Vincent - To send mail with list of candidates for the GNOME Thank You Pants and push for a decision.
- All board members - Review the Annual Report before returning home from GUADEC.
- All board members - Plan to join the "Open Desktop Day" at GUADEC on Monday for the networking at 10:30am, 12:30am, and 3:00pm.
Discussed on the mailing list
- Planning for GUADEC and the Boston Summit.
- Planning for the GNOME Foundation Advisory Board meeting at GUADEC, including putting together an agenda.
- Discussion about who should receive the GNOME Thank You pants.
- The GNOME and KDE boards met with those who submitted acceptable Desktop Summit 2011 bids to discuss. Vincent attended the meeting to review the Istanbul bid. Brian and Vincent attended the meeting to review the Berlin bid. Ongoing discussion between the GNOME and KDE boards through the selection process.
- Luis Villa provided a review of the draft User Group Trademark Agreement form.
- Discussion about the GNOME.Asia budget.
- Diego Escalante Urrelo provided Og Maciel with the details about the merchandising agreement that Ronaldo Padula is seeking for Loja Geek. Now Og is responsible for working on this action.
- Plans were made to print 100 units of the "Free Agent" t-shirt so they would be available at GUADEC.
- Discussion about how to fund a GNOME Mobile project funded by Nokia.
- Bryen M. Yunashko requested $1,500-1,750 (USD) travel subsidy to attend the AEGIS Summit and a11y hackfest.
- Emily has started a mentoring program so that previous board members can help to mentor new board members.