Minutes for Meeting of July 15, 2010
- July 25th, 2010 at GUADEC
- Andreas Nilsson
- Brian Cameron
- Diego Escalante Urrelo
- Emily Chen
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Jorge Castro
- Og Maciel
- Paul Cutler
- Rosanna Yuen
- Srinivasa Ragavan
- Stormy Peters
- Vincent Untz
- Bastien Nocera
- Review past action items.
- Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
- Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
- Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
- Update foundation.gnome.org website.
- Welcome to new board members, and fairwell to members stepping down from the board.
- Reassigning key action items:
ACTION: Diego to send an email to board-list to pass on the internal-review-process hat
ACTION: Og will take over from Diego and talk to John and Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto Comercial).
- GNOME IRC Meeting Update, and schedule for next meeting
- Attended by few Foundation members including Board members. Updates on various topics have been included in the minutes.
- To improve attendance at future meetings, the Board agreed to prepare an agenda prior to the next meeting, which is a month after GUADEC and a month before GNOME 3.0.
ACTION: Paul will organize the next GNOME Foundation IRC meeting and create an agenda.
- Meeting planning for GUADEC
- GNOME Advisory Board Meeting Update
- Advisory Board meeting will be on Tuesday, July 27th at 09:30am local time.
ACTION: Stormy will mail the agenda for the GNOME Advisory Board meeting.
- Board meeting:
- Board meeting will be held on Sunday, July 25th at 09:30am local time.
- GNOME Advisory Board Meeting Update
- Feedback from membership about Stormy's bonus
- The board will rework how information about Stormy's bonus and performance reviews moving forward. The process will be to focus more on getting better feedback about GNOME Foundation goals in general.
- The Board is negotiating with requests for additional funds from the GNOME.Asia Summit organizers
ACTION: Emily to mail the list about final GNOME.Asia financial situation so that the board can make budget decisions.
- Boston Summit
- Venue fee is higher than compared with previous years. This is in part due to our need to change the date.
ACTION: Stormy to work with John (J5) Palmieri to negotiate the costs for the Boston Summit.
- Desktop Summit 2011: comments on the bids, participating in interviews
- Updated bids from:
- Bulgaria: No response.
ACTION: Paul and Brian have volunteered to help out with the Desktop Summit 2011 bid interviews.
- Updated bids from:
- Free Agent t-shirt.
- The Board approved printing 100 t-shirts.
ACTION: Brian to make arrangements to print 100 "Free Agent" t-shirts to have at GUADEC.
- 2010 Q2 GNOME Quarterly Report Update
ACTION: All board members - The Board agreed to review the 2010 Q2 GNOME Quarterly Report draft sent by Brian.
- Annual Report update
ACTION: Paul will send an email update about the Annual Report to the board.
- GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal:
- Discussion has been started on foundation-list with few responses. Need to invigorate the discussion. The Board plans to run another survey to try and get more useful feedback from the community. The last survey did not generate very useful information, but we could likely get better information by asking about technical and non-technical goals separately.
- Germán - Will contact the students from Bangladesh who requested an invitation letter to find out details about what they need and to address the concerns raised by the organization. -- Bharath Acharya took care of it, the details were received and an invitation letter was sent on July 9th, 2010.
- Stormy - Will contact Eitan Isaacson to make sure that plans are made to get a booth a CSUN.
- Stormy - Will follow up with Om Chandra (a teacher of Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sport of Cambodia and an E-Learning Training Coordinator of Open Learning Program of Open Institute NGO) to find out if he should receive travel subsidy to GUADEC. Suggested that he attend GNOME Asia and that we then follow up with some local training.
- Stormy - Will publish the results of our GNOME Foundation Goals survey.
- Stormy - Will set up a doodle survey to figure out the time for the future board meetings.
- Vincent - To send a Thank You note to Fernando for representing GNOME at Idlelo.
- Board members - Must read the bids received for the Desktop Summit 2011 and make comments or propose questions that have not already been raised.
Status of action items
- Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back to Texas Instruments.
- Bastien - Will help Stormy identify some opportunities how to best use the money provided by Nokia.
- Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME legal team.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- Brian - Will track progress of GNOME.Asia event organization.
- Brian - Will provide to Bastien the feedback received so far about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 devices.
- Diego - Taken over from Stormy. Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
- Germán - Will share the financial data that was provided to the advisory board to foundation-list.
Germán - Will follow up with Shaun McCance about how the board can help with his proposal for funding developer documentation. ONGOING: There will be a BOF on Developer Documentation at GUADEC + further conversation with Shaun might help to clarify what would be needed.
- Germán - Will talk with the GUADEC organizers to find out what happened as a result of the discussion about the terms and conditions.
- Germán - Will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the Annual Report.
- Germán - Will update the Travel policy to cover the extra costs (such as visa, vaccinations, etc.) when the board requests that a representative attends an event on behalf of GNOME Foundation.
- Germán - Will write a template that people who fill out bids can complete that can be made public.
- Jorge - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
- Jorge - Will reach out to Linaro to see if GNOME can more effectively work with them.
Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad.
- Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
- Paul - Will follow up with Germán about the financial data for the Annual Report.
- Paul - Will talk to the sysadmin team about setting up a gobby server for the GNOME Foundation board to use for minute taking. - In progress - waiting for external IP from Red Hat for new VM
Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad.
- Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
- Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the bank to continue process.
- Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive responses. Hoping to meet at GUADEC.
- Stormy - To follow up with the Advisory Board about acquiring a second machine. Email sent, but no response yet.
- Stormy - Set up a Euro bank account. This is on hold for now. Talked to SFLC about setting up a European nonprofit as an option. Not something we need to do now.
- Stormy - To follow up with Orbitz to find out if the GNOME Foundation can pre-purchase travel tickets. Pinged them several times. Exchanged emails to set up a time - they didn't respond to availability.
- Stormy - Will write a proposal how to spend the money from Nokia to improve GNOME mobility based on discussion. Bastien is doing some research on this.
Stormy/Vincent - Will ping the GULEV Free & Open Source Software Conference 2010 organizers and provide them with a list of potential GNOME speakers in Mexico.
- Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct. BLOCKED: Waiting for Jorge's action on Code of Conduct.
- Vincent - Work with Michael Meeks and Bradley Kuhn on a policy for copyright assignments. ONGOING: just need to announce it.
- Vincent - Create a Philosophy page on the GNOME Wiki. ONGOING: need to solidify the wiki page a bit, asked Luis to work on licensing policy.
Vincent - Will help Stormy collect names of possible speakers for GULEV Free & Open Source Software Conference 2010" (GFOSSCon) to be held in Cancún, MX. ONGOING: didn't get any new names (I was told the organizers could ping the people directly :/)
New Action Items
- Brian - To make arrangements to print a run of 100 "Free Agent" t-shirts to have at GUADEC.
- Brian and Paul - Have volunteered to help out with the Desktop Summit 2011 bid interviews.
- Diego - To send an email to board-list to pass on the internal-review-process hat
- Emily - To mail the list about final GNOME.Asia financial situation so that the board can make budget decisions.
Og - Will create a new wiki page to explain the process for handling emails sent to email@example.com.
- Og - Will take over from Diego the task to work Jonh to determine how Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto Comercial) should send profits to the GNOME Foundation and then work with Ronaldo to finalize arrangements. The Brasilian Free Software Association is likely to help us out here, on the plus side we will also be able to take "boleto" donations.
- Paul - Will organize the next GNOME Foundation IRC meeting and create an agenda.
- Paul - Will send an email update about the Annual Report to the board.
- Stormy - Will mail out the agenda for the GNOME Advisory Board meeting.
- Stormy - To work with John (J5) Palmieri to renegotiate the costs for the Boston Summit.
Discussed on the mailing list
- The board agreed the next GNOME Foundation board of directors meeting will be held on July 15th, two weeks before the face-to-face board meeting at GUADEC.
- The GNOME Foundation has received confirmation for rooms at MIT for the weekend of November 6th. MIT is wanting to charge money for the facilities this year and negotiations are underway.
- The GNOME.Asia Summit organizers requested that the $5,000 (USD) that The GNOME Foundation is holding for them be transferred to their account to cover costs. They asked for $4,225 (USD) in additional funds to cover the costs of the event plus $5,640 (USD) to cover travel costs.
- Planning for the GNOME IRC meeting on Saturday, July 10th:
- Planning for the next Advisory Board meeting.
- Planning for the 2010 Q2 GNOME Quarterly Report. People responsible for sections have been asked to provide content.
- Planning for Developer training at GUADEC.
- Review of bids received for the 2011 Desktop Summit and preparation to make the bids public.
- The results from the survey ran in January to find out what the GNOME Foundation thinks are important Foundation goals were published.
- Discussion about completing the Annual Report.
- Review of sysadmin applications received, now starting interview process.
- Jonh Wendell suggested using the services of "Associação Software Livre Brasil (ASL)" in order to make it easier for people from Brazil to donate to GNOME. They would keep 10% of incoming money as a fee and also bank taxes and all administrative taxes. For example, for each Boleto, there is a fixed tax of R$4.00, no matter the value of the donation. So, if one wants to donate R$100.00, actually he has to pay R$104.00. R$4.00 goes to the bank, R$100.00 goes to the GNOME-BR account. Then at the end of the month, R$10.00 (10%) goes to the ASL entity. This idea is under consideration.
- Discussion about making public Stormy's last bonus review (for the time period 10/09 to 03/10).
- Brian Cameron and James Vasile provided an updated GNOME "Trademark Agreement for User Groups" document and the board is reviewing it.
- Discussion about printing the "Free Agent" GNOME t-shirt:
- Discussion about being ready for GNOME 3.0.
- Discussion about finalizing the GNOME Speaker Guidelines.
- Discussion about waiving Advisory Board fees for nonprofits. The GNOME Foundation currently waives them for several 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Discussion about how to best engage with Om Chandara, a teacher of Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sport of Cambodia and an E-Learning Training Coordinator of Open Learning Program of Open Institute NGO.
- Discussion about who should receive the Thank You pants at GUADEC in 2010.
- Discussion to help and mentor new board members.
- Richard Stallman asked about "GNOME Open Desktop Day" and requested that this sort of event should be more clearly associated with free software rather than open software.