Minutes for Meeting of June 24, 2010
- July 15, 2010
- Bastien Nocera
- Brian Cameron
- Diego Escalante Urrelo (late)
- Emily Chen
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Jorge Castro
- Og Maciel
- Paul Cutler
- Rosanna Yuen
- Stormy Peters
- Vincent Untz
- Srinivasa Ragavan
- Andreas Nilsson
- Review past action items.
- Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
- Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
- Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
- Update foundation.gnome.org website.
- Annual Report Update
- Now picking out pictures to include in the Annual Report.
- Plan to have the Annual Report ready for printing on July 15th.
- Sysadmin Position
- The time to apply is now closed.
- The GNOME Foundation got quite a few applications. Currently in the process of reviewing them.
- CSUN Conference
- The board has agreed to pay $2,000 for the booth, out of the funds allocated for a11y.
- ACTION: Stormy will contact Eitan Isaacson to make sure that plans are made to get a booth a CSUN.
- Reimbursing additional costs (visa, vaccinations, etc.) for Fernando Herrera's travel to Idlelo (230 Euro)
- Germán talked to Fernando and he asked to not be reimbursed. Fernando just wanted to point out that the GNOME Foundation should consider paying for such additional costs when sending representatives to future events..
- ACTION: Germán will update the Travel policy that the Foundation will cover such extra costs when the board requests that a representative attend an event on behalf of GNOME Foundation.
- ACTION: Vincent to send a Thank You note to Fernando for representing GNOME at Idlelo.
- ACTION: Stormy will follow up with Om Chandra (a teacher of Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sport of Cambodia and an E-Learning Training Coordinator of Open Learning Program of Open Institute NGO) to find out if he should receive travel subsidy to GUADEC.
- ACTION: Germán will contact the students from Bangladesh who requested an invitation letter to find out details about what they need and to address the concerns raised by the organization.
- Desktop Summit 2011:
- ACTION: Germán will write a template that people who fill out bids can complete that can be made public.
- ACTION: Board members must read the bids received for the Desktop Summit 2011 and make comments or propose questions that have not already been raised.
- Making public the results of the GNOME Foundation Goals survey ran last January.
- ACTION: Stormy will publish the results of our GNOME Foundation Goals survey.
- Texas Instruments Zoom2 devices
- Update from Brian. People who have received the device have found it difficult to work with.
- ACTION: Bastien will try to find people who can consolidate the feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back to Texas Instruments.
- ACTION: Brian will provide to Bastien the feedback received so far about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 devices.
- Next Foundation IRC meeting
- The next Foundation IRC meeting will be held on Saturday July 10th at 2pm UTC.
- The Clutter copyright assignment issue has been resolved. There will be no need for copyright assignment.
- The board's idea to use the Nokia money was not well received by the GNOME Mobile list. We are discussing and debating on the mobile list. We would like to have an action plan by GUADEC and use the money by the end of the year.
- ACTION: Bastien will help Stormy identify some opportunities how to best use the money provided by Nokia.
- The board approves spending $3,000 to purchase new t-shirts, mousepads, and stickers for new Friends of GNOME gifts. Also some of the stickers will be used for inclusion in the Event Box.
- ACTION: Stormy will set up a doodle survey to figure out the time for the future board meetings.
- Srini - Follow up with potential sponsors for the co-located summit in 2011.
Stormy - To follow up with LiMo. Done. Met with them at LinuxTag. Exchanged email.
- Vincent - Follow-up with Intel to determine what to do about copyright assignment for clutter. Waiting for an official update from Intel. DONE: there's no more copyright assignment for clutter. Many thanks to Emmanuele Bassi for his help!
Vincent - To follow up with Rick Spencer on the updated copyright policy and then send to the advisory board. DONE: followed up with Rick. The rest of the action item is already covered by another one
Vincent - Announce that the Speaker Guidelines are approved. DONE: http://blogs.gnome.org/foundation/2010/06/24/gnome-speaker-guidelines/
Status of action items
- Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME legal team.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- Brian - Will track progress of GNOME.Asia event organization.
- Diego - Taken over from Stormy. Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
- Diego - To ask Jonh to investigate how Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto Comercial) should send profits to the GNOME Foundation. John has suggested some options but we are not yet settled on one, will get back to Ronaldo about it.
- Germán - Will share the financial data that was provided to the advisory board to foundation-list.
Germán - Will follow up with Shaun McCance about how the board can help with his proposal for funding developer documentation.
- Germán - Will talk with the GUADEC organizers to find out what happened as a result of the discussion about the terms and conditions.
- Germán - Will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the Annual Report.
- Jorge - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
- Jorge - Will reach out to Linaro to see if GNOME can more effectively work with them.
Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad.
- Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
- Paul - Will reschedule the GNOME Foundation IRC meeting.
- Paul - Will follow up with Germán about the financial data for the Annual Report.
- Paul - Will talk to the sysadmin team about setting up a gobby server for the GNOME Foundation board to use for minute taking.
Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad.
- Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
- Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the bank to continue process.
- Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive responses. Hoping to meet at GUADEC.
- Stormy - To follow up with the Advisory Board about acquiring a second machine. Email sent, but no response yet.
- Stormy - Set up a Euro bank account. This is on hold for now. Talked to SFLC about setting up a European nonprofit as an option. Not something we need to do now.
- Stormy - To finish following up with Orbitz to find out if the GNOME Foundation can pre-purchase travel tickets. Pinged them several times.
- Stormy - Will write a proposal how to spend the money from Nokia to improve GNOME mobility based on discussion.
Stormy/Vincent - Will ping the GULEV Free & Open Source Software Conference 2010 organizers and provide them with a list of potential GNOME speakers in Mexico.
- Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct. BLOCKED: Waiting for Jorge's action on Code of Conduct.
- Vincent - Work with Michael Meeks and Bradley Kuhn on a policy for copyright assignments. ONGOING: latest draft sent to advisory board for final review.
- Vincent - Create a Philosophy page on the GNOME Wiki. ONGOING: need to solidify the wiki page a bit, asked Luis to work on licensing policy.
Vincent - Will help Stormy collect names of possible speakers for GULEV Free & Open Source Software Conference 2010" (GFOSSCon) to be held in Cancún, MX.
New Action Items
- Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back to Texas Instruments.
- Bastien - Will help Stormy identify some opportunities how to best use the money provided by Nokia.
- Brian - Will provide to Bastien the feedback received so far about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 devices.
- Germán - Will update the Travel policy to cover the extra costs (such as visa, vaccinations, etc.) when the board requests that a representative attends an event on behalf of GNOME Foundation.
- Germán - Will contact the students from Bangladesh who requested an invitation letter to find out details about what they need and to address the concerns raised by the organization.
- Germán - Will write a template that people who fill out bids can complete that can be made public.
- Stormy - Will contact Eitan Isaacson to make sure that plans are made to get a booth a CSUN.
- Stormy - Will follow up with Om Chandra (a teacher of Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sport of Cambodia and an E-Learning Training Coordinator of Open Learning Program of Open Institute NGO) to find out if he should receive travel subsidy to GUADEC.
- Stormy - Will publish the results of our GNOME Foundation Goals survey.
- Stormy - Will set up a doodle survey to figure out the time for the future board meetings.
- Vincent - To send a Thank You note to Fernando for representing GNOME at Idlelo.
- Board members - Must read the bids received for the Desktop Summit 2011 and make comments or propose questions that have not already been raised.
Discussed on the mailing list
- The GNOME Foundation elections are complete.
- Welcome to the new board members and discussion about getting the new Foundation board members involved with the board mailing lists, upcoming meetings, etc.
- Discussion about transitioning to new moderators for board-related mailing lists since current moderators are not serving on the board in the next term.
- Planning for GUADEC, including reviewing expected travel expenses.
- Ongoing discussion to finish the GNOME Annual Report. For example, Stormy provided the letter from the ED that she was responsible for writing.
- Additional applications were received for the sysadmin position.
- Discussion about who should receive the Thank You pants at GUADEC in 2010.
- Review of the bids received for the Desktop Summit 2011.
- Planning for having a GNOME booth at the 2011 CSUN Conference.
- Planning for the next GNOME Foundation IRC meeting.
- Discussion about what to do with the now available Texas Instruments Zoom2 device the GNOME Foundation has available.
- In order to process the GNOME Foundation credit card application at the bank, Rosanna needed a brief biography from all of the board members, which each board member provided.
- Ben Konrath provided a write-up of his experiences at the Idlelo conference including some recommendations to better serve the developing world in the future. Ben plans to provide the essence of his write-up to the GNOME developing-world-list mailing list soon.
- Fernando Herrera highlighted that he spent an additional 230 Euro to cover additional costs associated with his trip to represent the GNOME Foundation at the Idlelo Conference.
- The board received a request to cover costs to GUADEC from Om Chandara, a teacher of Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sport of Cambodia and an E-Learning Training Coordinator of Open Learning Program of Open Institute NGO.