Minutes for Meeting of Jun 10, 2010

Next Meeting

  • June 24, 2010


  • Brian Cameron
  • Diego Escalante Urrelo
  • Germán Póo-Caamaño
  • Jorge Castro
  • Paul Cutler
  • Rosanna Yuen
  • Srinivasa Ragavan
  • Stormy Peters
  • Vincent Untz



Recurring Items

  • Review past action items.
  • Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
  • Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
  • Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
  • Update foundation.gnome.org website.

New Items

  • Annual Report
    • The annual report is coming together. Most of the articles are now actively being worked on.
    • The one missing piece is the Financial Report.
    • Plan to have the Annual Report ready for printing on July 15th.
    • ACTION: Germán will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the Annual Report.
  • Sysadmin
    • There are several candidates who have applied.
    • Currently working to start the interview process.
  • Linaro
    • ACTION: Jorge will introduce Stormy to some Linaro folks to see if GNOME can more effectively work with them.
  • Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto Comercial) is making arrangements to sell GNOME branded merchandise
    • Ronaldo Padula is agreeable with a 10% royalty fee.
    • Arrangements need to be made to work out how Ronaldo will send profits to the GNOME Foundation
    • ACTION: Diego to ask Jonh to investigate how Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto Comercial) should send profits to the GNOME Foundation.
  • Nokia arrangement and plans to coordinate with consulting firms
    • Stormy and Vincent will have meetings during LinuxTag to determine key items to work on.

  • Philosophy update
    • There was a meeting to update the latest draft, and the documents have been reworded.
    • There will be a final review with the advisory board, and then it can be announced.
  • Copyright Policy
    • There was another round of conversations and updates to the copyright policy.
    • ACTION: Vincent to follow up with Rick Spencer on the updated copyright policy and then send to the advisory board.
  • Co-locating in 2011
    • Received four bids
    • next week = we collect questions from the board;
    • the week after = bidders answer our questions with clarifications;
    • the week after = we publish the bids and ask for feedback to the membership;
    • the week after = we interview the bidders
    • and then we decide the week of July 19th
  • GNOME Foundation credit card
    • Rosanna has an appointment for next Wednesday to acquire a GNOME Foundation credit card.
    • Update: Richard Stallman will be doing a keynote along with Mark Shuttleworth.
  • ACTION: Vincent will help Stormy collect names of possible speakers for the GULEV Free & Open Source Software Conference 2010" (GFOSSCon) to be held in Cancún, MX.

Completed Actions

  • Germán - Will do the needful to make the bid for GUADEC public.
    • Not possible. The organization denied making the bid public. There was information provided by the Municipality and they did not give permission to use the information in public. Their argument is that it would undermine their competitive position with regard to other cities if their documentation would become generally available. The most we have is that we may use parts of the text for the conference website, but not put the whole thing online verbatim.
  • Paul - Will provide the board update in a week to the Board with a list of articles and percentage completed for the Annual Report.
  • Paul - Will send an Annual Report update by May 16th.
  • Stormy - Will discuss the opportunity to fund Mobile projects on the GNOME mobile mailing list to determine the best way to coordinate and make use of these resources.
  • Stormy - Will send an update to the board to highlight the Women Outreach Program plans under discussion.
  • Stormy - Will schedule a meeting to discuss and create the GTK+ RoadMap.

  • Stormy - Will send out the announcement for the sysadmin job.
  • Vincent - To ask Fernando to blog about how the training went at Idlelo:
  • Vincent - Organize the interview team for sysadmin. ONGOING: we have three people in the team, we are improving the job description, and we will hopefully be able to announce the job next week. DONE: The interview team is now active!
  • Vincent - To mail to all board candidates that the board meeting at GUADEC will be on Sunday. DONE just after the meeting.

Status of action items

  • Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME legal
    • team.
  • Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
  • Brian - Will track progress of GNOME.Asia event organization.
  • Diego - Taken over from Stormy. Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this. Discussion on-going in marketing-list
  • Germán - Will share the financial data that was provided to the advisory board to foundation-list.
  • Germán - Will follow up with Shaun McCance about how the board can help with his proposal for funding developer documentation.

  • Germán - Will talk with the GUADEC organizers to find out what happened as a result of the discussion about the terms and conditions.
  • Jorge - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
  • Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad.

  • Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
  • Paul - Will reschedule the GNOME Foundation IRC meeting.
  • Paul - Will follow up with Germán about the financial data for the Annual Report.
  • Paul - Will talk to the sysadmin team about setting up a gobby server for the GNOME Foundation board to use for minute taking.
  • Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad.

  • Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
  • Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the bank to continue process.
  • Srini - Follow up with potential sponsors for the co-located summit in 2011.
  • Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive responses. Will follow up with others and schedule a meeting.
  • Stormy - To follow up with the Advisory Board about acquiring a second machine. Email sent, but no response yet.
  • Stormy - Set up a Euro bank account.
  • Stormy - To follow up with LiMo.

  • Stormy - To finish following up with Orbitz to find out if the GNOME Foundation can pre-purchase travel tickets.
  • Stormy - Will write a proposal how to spend the money from Nokia to improve GNOME mobility based on discussion.
  • Stormy/Vincent - Will ping the GULEV Free & Open Source Software Conference 2010 organizers and provide them with a list of potential GNOME speakers in Mexico.

  • Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct. BLOCKED: Waiting for Jorge's action on Code of Conduct.
  • Vincent - Follow-up with Intel to determine what to do about copyright assignment for clutter. Waiting for an official update from Intel.
  • Vincent - Follow up with Michael Meeks and Bradley Kuhn to see if there is an interest in defining a policy the release team can follow to know whether a project with a copyright assignment requirement can be accepted or not. What sorts of copyright assignments are acceptable? ONGOING: draft updated again. Probably need a last pass with adboard.
  • Vincent - Create a Philosophy page on the GNOME Wiki. ONGOING: need to solidify the wiki page a bit.
  • Vincent - Announce that the Speaker Guidelines are approved. ONGOING: final version ready. Need to send a mail + blog about them.

New Action Items

  • Diego - To ask Jonh to investigate how Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto Comercial) should send profits to the GNOME Foundation.
  • Germán - Will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the Annual Report.
  • Jorge - Will reach out to Linaro to see if GNOME can more effectively work with them.
  • Vincent - To follow up with Rick Spencer on the updated copyright policy and then send to the advisory board.
  • Vincent - Will help Stormy collect names of possible speakers for GULEV Free & Open Source Software Conference 2010" (GFOSSCon) to be held in Cancún, MX.

Discussed on the mailing list

  • The GNOME Foundation sysadmin job position was announced and made public.
  • The board has received several applications for the sysadmin position, and is starting the process of reviewing and planning interviews.
  • Some bids for hosting the Desktop Summit in 2011 were received.
  • Discussion about the work needed to finish the Annual Report. Paul provided an update.
  • Discussion about the GUADEC budget.
  • Ongoing negotiations with Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto Comercial) about the terms of him selling GNOME branded merchandise in Brazil.
  • Ongoing discussion about how to best spend the money Nokia provided to improve GNOME mobile.
  • Ongoing discussion about putting together a GTK RoadMap. Javier Jardón crafted a draft:

  • Richard Stallman encouraged a stronger free software message in GNOME.Asia materials.
  • There was a complaint about artwork at http://art.gnome.org/, and the board is discussing how to best respond.

  • Zach Frey contacted the board to say that he is unable to continue working on the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device that the GNOME Foundation provided to him (refer to the April 15th minutes). The board will work with Zach to either have the unit sent to the next candidate or back to the GNOME Foundation.

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20100610 (last edited 2010-06-23 20:27:54 by BrianCameron)