Minutes for Meeting of April 15th, 2010
- April 29th, 2010
- Brian Cameron
- Diego Escalante
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Paul Cutler
- Srinivasa Ragavan
- Stormy Peters
- Vincent Untz
- Rosanna Yuen
- Jorge Castro
- Review past action items.
- Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
- Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
- Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
- Update foundation.gnome.org website.
- Stormy's status report
- Still working on it.
- The GNOME Foundation is talking with LWN.net about a possible partnership.
- Transfer of the guadec.org domain to the GNOME Foundation - status
- Hope to have progress by next week.
- ACTION: Germán is tracking the transfer of the guadec.org domain to the GNOME Foundation.
- Making the bid for GUADEC public
- ACTION: Germán will do the needful to make the bid for GUADEC public.
- Accessibility contract from Andalucia
- ACTION: Germain - Regarding the Accessibility contract from Adalucia, Check if Emergy and/or Yaco can attend at least one day at Zaragoza. If not possible, Stormy may have a meeting with them in Seville.
- Health insurance for Foundation employees
- Right now the GNOME Foundation does not need health insurance since all employees currently have it via other options, but this is something we will need to consider in the future if and when the GNOME Foundation has employees with a need.
- Request from Loja Geek Depto Comercial to sell GNOME branded projects in Brazil - status
- ACTION - Diego will follow up with Loja Geek Depto Comercial and let them know we do not do exclusive arrangements.
- Friends of GNOME - sysadmin announcement update
- The GNOME Foundation is forming a hiring committee (3 people)
- The GNOME Foundation will announce the job position soon, and the interview process should take place not long afterwards.
- Annual Report
- The Annual Report is in progress, though a bit behind.
- The Annual Report will be ready before GUADEC.
- ACTION: Paul will provide the board update in a week to the Board with a list of articles and percentage completed for the Annual Report.
- Nokia arrangement and plans to coordinate with consulting firms.
- ACTION - Stormy - there is activity and discussion about the Nokia consulting arrangement on the mobile list, and this needs to be reworked into a more formal proposal.
- Co-located GNOME.Asia/COSCUP event in Taiwan
- The board thinks a co-located GNOME.Asia/COSCUP event is a good idea, but needs to see a more detailed budget to make more concrete decisions.
- ACTION - Brian will track progress of GNOME.Asia event organization.
- "Co-locating in 2011"
- ACTION - Srini will follow up with potential sponsors for the co-located summit in 2011.
- FOSS Nigeria in Kano, Nigeria (April 23-25)
- ACTION - Stormy will send an email to the FOSS Nigeria organizers and let them know that the GNOME Foundation will likely not send anyone.
- ACTION - Brian will send an email to the foundation-list and let people know about the fact that the GNOME Foundation is not likely going to be represented at this event.
- Brazilian events request from Jonh Wendell
- ACTION - Brian will follow up with Jonh Wendell about the budget for events in Brazil.
- Much thanks Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier and Ubuntu volunteers for agreeing to help organize the GNOME booth at the Texas Linux Fest.
- Brian - To review the proposals for the TI Zoom2 project and start discussion with the board to make a decision.
- Zack Frey will receive the immediately available unit, and Marcus Bauer will receive the unit that Steve Sakoman is currently using, which he should be done with in a week or two.
- Brian - The minutes for 8 board meetings from 2004 to 2009 were never published. Brian will publish these minutes.
- Brian - Send an email to the foundation-list and let people know about the fact that the GNOME Foundation is not likely going to be represented at this event. This new action item was completed shortly after the meeting.
- Brian - Follow up with Jonh Wendell about the budget for events in Brazil. This new action item was completed shortly after the meeting.
Vincent & Germán - To set up a meeting to plan for upcoming events in Africa and ensure that Ben Konrath and Alberto Ruiz can attend. Only Ben attended the meeting since Alberto notified the board that he can no longer represent GNOME at the upcoming events in Africa.
Status of Action Items
- Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME legal team.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- Diego - Taken over from Stormy. Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing and ask for comments.
- Diego - Will lead the board member review process: pick a date, send reminders and coordinate with Stormy the missing members surveys.
- Diego - Will help Stormy to organize the Zaragoza event.
- Diego - Will organize a press release for giving $60 to OSUOSL.
- Jorge - Will work with Ubuntu volunteers to find people to run the Texas Linux Fest booth.
- Jorge - Will send an email seeking hackfest sponsorships from the advisory board.
- Jorge - Taken over from Lucas - Work to ensure that Foundation members sign the GNOME Code of Conduct, and make it a requirement that new Foundation members need to sign this. Lucas completed a draft currently under review, tarted discussion on foundation list, got a lot comments and feedback, and summarized the discussion points. The board seems to be still interested in proposing Code of Conduct as an official guideline for Foundation members as a way have a more clear message about the values of the GNOME community.
- Jorge - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad.
- Paul - When we reach the Friends of GNOME goal, put a thank you banner up there instead. Save the ruler for the next set of goals. Next time we should consider counting badges, or number of subscribers so it is not always just measuring money.
Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad.
- Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
- Rosanna - Will check who received the 2008 Annual Report and send an email to board-list letting everybody know who received them.
- Rosanna - Will pay $60 to OSUOSL.
- Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive responses. Will follow up with others and schedule a meeting.
- Stormy - To follow up with the Advisory Board about acquiring a second machine. Email sent, but no response yet.
- Stormy - Set up a Euro bank account.
- Stormy - To confirm having the advisory board meeting on the Tuesday before the conference with the advisory board and confirm.
- Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct. Waiting for Jorge's action on Code of Conduct.
- Vincent - Follow-up with Intel to determine what to do about copyright assignment for clutter. Waiting for an official update from Intel. Ongoing
- Vincent - Follow up with Michael Meeks and Bradley Kuhn to see if there is an interest in defining a policy the release team can follow to know whether a project with a copyright assignment requirement can be accepted or not. What sorts of copyright assignments are acceptable? Status: Bradley is working on an updated draft.
- Vincent - Create a Philosophy page on the GNOME Wiki.
- Vincent - Announce that the new Code of Conduct is approved
- Vincent - Will ping Bradley Kuhn to see if he can lead the team to interview sysadmin candidates.
New Action Items
- Brian - Will track progress of GNOME.Asia event organization.
- Diego - Will follow up with Loja Geek Depto Comercial and let them know we do not do exclusive arrangements.
- Germán - Tracking the transfer of the guadec.org domain to the GNOME Foundation.
- Germán - Will do the needful to make the bid for GUADEC public.
- Germán - Regarding the Accessibility contract from Adalucia, Check if Emergy and/or Yaco can attend at least one day at Zaragoza. If not possible, Stormy may have a meeting with them in Seville.
- Paul - Will provide the board update in a week to the Board with a list of articles and percentage completed for the Annual Report.
- Srini - Follow up with potential sponsors for the co-located summit in 2011.
- Stormy - there is activity and discussion about the Nokia consulting arrangement on the mobile list, and this needs to be reworked into a more formal proposal.
- Stormy - Send an email to the FOSS Nigeria organizers and let them know that the GNOME Foundation will likely not send anyone.
Discussed on the Mailing List
- The GNOME Foundation is talking to LWN.net about possible partnerships.
- Trading emails with the DKUUG (Danish UNIX systems User Group) to request them the transfer of guadec.org domain to GNOME Foundation.
- Alberto Ruiz notified the board that he can no longer represent GNOME at FOSS Nigeria in Kano, Nigeria (April 23-25). Now looking for someone else who can go.
- Discussion with the GNOME.Asia organizers. They are considering to co-locate the 2010 conference with COSCUP (Conference for Open Source Coders, Users and Promoters) in Taiwan.
- Discussion about travel costs for the upcoming Marketing hackfest in Zaragoza.
- The board received a request to sell GNOME branded projects in Brazil from Loja Geek Depto Comercial and the board is preparing a response.
- Discussion about the applications for developers wanting access to the GNOME Foundation Texas Instruments Zoom2 device. Zack Frey will receive the immediately available unit, and Marcus Bauer will receive the unit that Steve Sakoman is currently using, which he should be done with in a week or two.
- Jonh Wendell is trading emails with the board to find a way for Brazilian people to be able to donate money via "Boletos". In Brazil this is the most popular way to pay bills.
- Preparation of the board quarterly report.
- The process for Stormy's bi-annual performance review (September 2009 through March 2010) has started, and waiting for Stormy to provide a report of the work she did in this time period.
- Diego prepared a draft proposal on how to create a program where organizations can join a link-exchange and cross-promotion program, so that organizations like guifi.net have a more visible way to participate in the GNOME community.
- Diego launched the board review process. Brian, Diego, Sri, and Germán provided their feedback. Waiting on Jorge, Paul and Vincent to provide feedback.
- Researching pricing for printing new Friends of GNOME t-shirts.
- Discussion about making final improvements to the GNOME Speaker Guidelines.
- The board approved paying a $100 registration fee for the Texas Linux Fest.